What size Generator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size Generator ?

Posed this question in another thread but wanted it to get its own attention so maybe some smarter folks would reply, lol.

I want to power a 5k or 8k BTU window unit and a tv/DVD player. Maybe a coffee pot.

Looking at the Ryobi Inv Gen. 2300 starting/1800 running.

Will it do it?

If not, how big do I need?

Thanks, D.

I would think that would work. Mines 4000 and powers everything in the cabin when need be.

Comment

yes it will do it. maybe not coffee pot and ac at the same time.

Comment

If 8k btu ac is running and coffee pot is running you could have issues. Coffee pots can peak around 1500 watts depending on unit. 8k btu is going to be a little over 800 watts.

If you want to use that size gen, make sure you get a small drip coffee pot, and you would probable be fine.

Comment

I use a Honda EU2000 for my teardrop powering a 5k window unit. It will run the AC all night and still have some gas left over in the morning but with the small space to cool it cycles a lot. No issues running the TV/DVD while the AC is running or starting. I've tried running the microwave at the same time and while it does it you can tell it doesn't like it by the sound.

Comment

I don't remember what size a/c i had but it was a small window unit. The 2000 watt generator would run it as long as you kept it on high. If you adjusted the temp to where the a/c would cycle it would trip the generator. It didn't like the compressor kicking on and off.

Comment

I used to help figure out the size I needed in portable generator - http://www.generatorgrader.com/what-...tor-do-i-need/

Comment

I use a 1000w and 2000w Honda inverter as my Hurricane setup. The 1000 will run my window unit(6k I believe), TV and cable/internet modem. The 2000w handled fridge, deep freezers and lights. Honda 2200 is rated at 1800w continuous like the ryobi you mentioned.

The coffee pot will be your Achilles heel with other stuff running. Not sure your capabilities, but a percolator on a camp stove would probably get the job done(and better coffee IMO) and save you any heartache of overloading the generator. Only one way to find out if it will work though. Like others said, turn the AC on, turn it to the coldest setting and let it stay running. That startup will for sure send you over the edge with a coffee pot running. Not sure if something like a keurig might draw less than a standard drip coffee pot?

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                  I use a 1000w and 2000w Honda inverter as my Hurricane setup. The 1000 will run my window unit(6k I believe), TV and cable/internet modem. The 2000w handled fridge, deep freezers and lights. Honda 2200 is rated at 1800w continuous like the ryobi you mentioned.

The coffee pot will be your Achilles heel with other stuff running. Not sure your capabilities, but a percolator on a camp stove would probably get the job done(and better coffee IMO) and save you any heartache of overloading the generator. Only one way to find out if it will work though. Like others said, turn the AC on, turn it to the coldest setting and let it stay running. That startup will for sure send you over the edge with a coffee pot running. Not sure if something like a keurig might draw less than a standard drip coffee pot?
                  I believe Keurig is more than a drip pot.

Comment

Originally posted by bwootton View Post
                    I believe Keurig is more than a drip pot.

Keruig is ok if left on. The heating pad on the drip maker accounts for a lot the power usage.

***Keurig® home brewers use the most power during their initial start up. When heating for the first time after being off, peak usage is 1,500 watts. If the power is kept on, the brewer will keep the internal tank up to temperature using between 200-400 watts when heating.

While idle and not maintaining heat, the brewer will use the average electricity of a 60-watt light bulb. All Keurig® home brewers are equipped with an Energy Savings Mode Auto Off feature should you choose not to leave the brewer on. The initial heating mode when turning the power on should take about three minutes.

Comment

You'll run fine with the 5k a/c for sure (turn it off to run the coffee) but I still wonder about how much run time you'll get on a tank of fuel if that little gennie is maxed. It'll depend on your insulation and how hard that a/c has to work.

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      Keruig is ok if left on. The heating pad on the drip maker accounts for a lot the power usage.

***Keurig® home brewers use the most power during their initial start up. When heating for the first time after being off, peak usage is 1,500 watts. If the power is kept on, the brewer will keep the internal tank up to temperature using between 200-400 watts when heating.

While idle and not maintaining heat, the brewer will use the average electricity of a 60-watt light bulb. All Keurig® home brewers are equipped with an Energy Savings Mode Auto Off feature should you choose not to leave the brewer on. The initial heating mode when turning the power on should take about three minutes.
                      Man I wonder how much power is wasted total across the country for 23.75 hours a day from those things.

Comment

I have a 3300/3000 invertor generator, and it will power what you are asking for but not much else. My suggestion would be to buy more power. You never really hear people complain about putting out too much, but they will always complain about not having enough.

Comment

I like those #s Dale !

You have any experience with that brand? I aint read reviews yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                            I like those #s Dale !

You have any experience with that brand? I aint read reviews yet.
                            I know somebody who bought several recently (not inverters, big honking regular dual fuel generators) and they had some weird problems and lots of issues with warranty. Once up and running they did great I believe but I recall them telling me the warranty/troubleshooting procedures were ridiculous, swapping carbs and parts back and forth. Issues all ended up being internal and not something obvious, bent pin inside a petcock, random weird stuff.
                            Last edited by justletmein; 08-18-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X