Feeder Remote for Under $50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Remote for Under $50

I was about to buy "The Remote" and figured there had to be a cheaper alternative. I stumbled on the Fimco Remote. With a tiny amount of research I figured out a plan. I purchased some diodes and 12v plugs and got busy.

It works flawlessly. My son and I tested it out to 193 yards down the street. Once I dropped it into a metal ammo can, that distance diminished significantly. However, tucked in the can it was still good for at least 38 yards...well beyond bow hunting range.

I'll install on an actual feeder tomorrow and report back. If it works as I expect, I'll build a couple more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220805_150157.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	25288385Click image for larger version

Name:	20220805_150027.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	25288386
    Last edited by Casey; 08-05-2022, 07:08 PM.

So the diode prevents back powering the timer? It's essentially current backflow preventer, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
      So the diode prevents back powering the timer? It's essentially current backflow preventer, correct?
      Yes. Without it the smoke escapes from the timer and you can't put it back in or buy replacement smoke.

Comment

Smoke(?) or is that a typo?

In for results, you are far smarter than I!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          Smoke(?) or is that a typo?

In for results, you are far smarter than I!
          Not a typo. While waiting for diodes to come in I tried it out. The Timer smoked so current was getting back to it. You have to splice into the wires going from timer to motor as motor only has two wires feeding in. The diode goes on the positive wire between timer and where you tap into that wire. I think the sketch is pretty accurate.
          Last edited by Casey; 08-05-2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The sketch is amazing. I saved it. Moultrie sells one for ~$30 on Amazon, but I think what you are doing is way more robust and half the cost of the Timer Remote.

Comment

I think I will wait until you try it out. The premade ones all have an external antenna. I'm wondering how this will work from an elevated tree stand when it's in the timer box on a stand. I'm searching now for a comparable one with an external antenna. I've purchased this one twice for my road feeders (I have two) and it was worked well. Has an antenna that I could let dangle out the bottom. It's only $19.79. It would still need the diode.

Or search iMBAPrice 12V, 15 Amps, Heavy Duty Boat and Car Universal Remote Control Kit
              Last edited by Outback; 08-05-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I can report back tomorrow afternoon. The setup I will put this one at is a krivoman 17 yards from an ASF stand and fill. Like I said, inside a pretty thick ammo can with lid closed I got it to work from 38 yards away.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220805_162553.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	24688412
                Last edited by Casey; 08-05-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Did they list the stand by power the remote system uses because that is very important. I've seen cheap remote systems drain feeder batteries pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    Did they list the stand by power the remote system uses because that is very important. I've seen cheap remote systems drain feeder batteries pretty fast.
                    I have not seen that mentioned anywhere.

Comment

I installed the remote in an All Seasons Stand and Fill (Bucee's) today. At first, it would go off without issue but would not stop until I moved back closer. I moved it inside the timer/battery compartment to right by the door and that seemed to fix the issue. Regardless, the feeder construction likely causes a bit of an issue. However, at 17 yards inside the Krivoman, I had it working flawlessly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5s2UGiHP9E"]Fimco Remote in All Seasons Feeder - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by Casey; 08-06-2022, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Casey, would you happen to know the diode part number?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          Casey, would you happen to know the diode part number?
                          Search Amazon for

Painless Performance 80111 Replacement Diode Assembly for Race Car Switch Panels

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                            You're thinking the receiver will be pulling juice while sitting idle?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, Casey.

When I did a search, before asking for the part number, I found the Painless Performance sight. That might come in useful in a future vehicle build. I wasn't aware of them before.

Guess you've got a hopped up race feeder now.

Comment

Working...
                              X