The Nilgai Arrow Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    Playing devils advocate, what happens when you make a bad shot and hit too far back? Not every errant shot is gonna go too far forward.

In my research the Heavy arrow/single bevel crowd is largely silent on shots that hit high or too far back.

Funny you say that.

I actually messaged John Lusk the other day for his input on this before I made this post.

He has a video up of his moose hunt and he pointed out that if he hadn’t shot the bull with a follow up they may well not have found that bull because the first shot had barely any blood. First shot was an iron will, second was a Sevr 1.5.

I had considered a Sevr 1.5 but I can’t bring myself to try mechs again.

The only issue I’ve ever had with 2 blade broadheads in the past, both single bevel and double bevel is a lack of blood trails.

Lusk recommended the Iron Will wides. Idk that I actually wanna try those for nilgai as they seem awful big if I hit bone, but I may be screwed either way in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      Funny you say that.

I actually messaged John Lusk the other day for his input on this before I made this post.

He has a video up of his moose hunt and he pointed out that if he hadn’t shot the bull with a follow up they may well not have found that bull because the first shot had barely any blood. First shot was an iron will, second was a Sevr 1.5.

I had considered a Sevr 1.5 but I can’t bring myself to try mechs again.

The only issue I’ve ever had with 2 blade broadheads in the past, both single bevel and double bevel is a lack of blood trails.

Lusk recommended the Iron Will wides. Idk that I actually wanna try those for nilgai as they seem awful big if I hit bone, but I may be screwed either way in that situation.
      I'm a fan of anything that makes a hole. A Rage 3 blade chisel tip or a Wasp Jackhammer are my go to broadheads for deer size game. Personally, I would shoot a Nilgai with a 3 bladed Rage as its a slip cam design and not over the top.

For a Nilgai, they are not indestructible animals. A well placed 100 grain slick trick is perfectly fine and will leave a hole, not a slit. You don't need a big shovel spaded single bevel to kill one, they are not a Cape Buffalo.

5 years ago I had never heard of a single bevel anything and the only guys shooting 2 blade heads were trad shooters. Now all of a sudden some guys with well trafficked instagram accounts and you tube channels have made it seem like you can't kill anything without one.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
        Thanks again. I think I’m learning towards a 150 annihilator XL for the wound channel. Maybe a little heavier insert but not too much more.
        That gives me something to start with.
        im curious to see how this head penetrates

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
          im curious to see how this head penetrates

I hope I get the chance to give it a good review. All the vids I’ve seen paint a pretty good picture of its devastation and all rate the penetration pretty high.
          [emoji1695]

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Well I kept thinking about it and after discussing broadheads and arrow weight, I’m just gonna roll with the iron wills in 125gr.

With a lighted nock it brings my total arrow weight with a 125 head up to 540gr.

I have my Traverse setup 1/8th short on the ATA so I knew it’d be a little hot… turns out it’s pulling 79.9lbs [emoji15]. I didn’t expect it’d be that hot! I double checked it against two different scales to confirm.

Got 290 when I shot through the chrono. It’s actually a little faster than I like to shoot a fixed blade but I think I’m gonna be good to go!

Comment

Victory VAP SS 250, 28.75"
                IW 200gr Single Bevel
                75gr insert w/ 25gr stainless collar
                20%FOC

Shooting them out of my Mathews V3 @ 255fps
                Had them dialed in out to 60 yards on last year's trip

The only thing I might change this year is backing off 50 grains on the insert. Going to do some arrow testing after this deer hunt next week.

You ask why so heavy??? 2 years ago I shot a bull with my 300win mag @ 200 yards. 180 grain Berger Hunter bullet. Dropped the bull with one shot only to have him get up and run out of my life forever. I want to max the odds in my favor with my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
                  Victory VAP SS 250, 28.75"
                  IW 200gr Single Bevel
                  75gr insert w/ 25gr stainless collar
                  20%FOC

Shooting them out of my Mathews V3 @ 255fps
                  Had them dialed in out to 60 yards on last year's trip

The only thing I might change this year is backing off 50 grains on the insert. Going to do some arrow testing after this deer hunt next week.

You ask why so heavy??? 2 years ago I shot a bull with my 300win mag @ 200 yards. 180 grain Berger Hunter bullet. Dropped the bull with one shot only to have him get up and run out of my life forever. I want to max the odds in my favor with my bow.

What’s total arrow weight? Just curious!

I know a lotta guys prefer solid copper or bonded bullets for them for that very reason.

One of the guides I talked to on the King didn’t care so much about caliber as he did a deep penetrating bullet that stayed together.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                    What’s total arrow weight? Just curious!

I know a lotta guys prefer solid copper or bonded bullets for them for that very reason.

One of the guides I talked to on the King didn’t care so much about caliber as he did a deep penetrating bullet that stayed together.
                    Dang I forgot to put the arrow weight in there. 640 grains, but I think I might back it off 50 grains. Shooting a 486 grain total weight for my deer arrow right now.

From what little blood I found on the ground, the bullet did not exit. Only found small spots of blood on the right side where he ran off.

Comment

Working...
                    X