Mobile Home Floor Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Home Floor Repair

Looking for guidance on repair of a mobile home subfloor. It is a mid 90’s vintage single wide so the original floor is particle board. I have cut out all of the water damaged areas. Considering OSB or plywood for the replacement. Plan to put down vinyl plank flooring over the subfloor. Looking online it seems there as many opinions on this as there are parts to the human anatomy. Anyone have experience with this?

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
    Looking for guidance on repair of a mobile home subfloor. It is a mid 90’s vintage single wide so the original floor is particle board. I have cut out all of the water damaged areas. Considering OSB or plywood for the replacement. Plan to put down vinyl plank flooring over the subfloor. Looking online it seems there as many opinions on this as there are parts to the human anatomy. Anyone have experience with this?
    My opinion is plywood. Better surface area for adhesion of the plank flooring.

Comment

Plywood, I have done a hundreds holes in mobile homes.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Plywood, I have done a hundreds holes in mobile homes.
        Plywood it is. Any thoughts on partial floor replacement versus total floor replacement. Many of the online sources say total replacement. In my case the remaining floor is sound. I don’t find a good reason to replace. Once we get the subfloor replaced we plan to spray foam the bottom of the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
          Plywood it is. Any thoughts on partial floor replacement versus total floor replacement. Many of the online sources say total replacement. In my case the remaining floor is sound. I don’t find a good reason to replace. Once we get the subfloor replaced we plan to spray foam the bottom of the trailer.
          I would replace the entire floor in the room with rot. That's just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
            I would replace the entire floor in the room with rot. That's just me though.
            I usually have done that in trailer bathroom or laundry room

Comment

I've done similar reapirs on my house. In your case I would go with plywood.
              Make sure that you use a short 2x4 to brace between the existing subfloor and the new plywood between each joist. If you don't you will feel the floor flex when you walk over.

Comment

Advantech decking. Use adhesive and screws.

Comment

You may need some floor leveler. The thickness of old vs. new will probable be a little off. You will notice it when installing the plank.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                    You may need some floor leveler. The thickness of old vs. new will probable be a little off. You will notice it when installing the plank.
                    Any recommendations for a leveling compound?

Comment

Doing one now went with plywood, are you going with a moisture barrier under the lvp?

Comment

Keep in mind… the subfloor on mobile homes is installed before any walls are built so you will have to add some support wood if you cut to the walls in any direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                          Doing one now went with plywood, are you going with a moisture barrier under the lvp?
                          Have not gotten to that point. What are the recommendations? My preference is for glue down.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                            Keep in mind… the subfloor on mobile homes is installed before any walls are built so you will have to add some support wood if you cut to the walls in any direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Plan to put in blocking at the joints and using liquid nails on the joist.

Comment

I have done this and plywood is the only way to go you need that strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X