Did I fix it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I fix it???

Wife's '06 Accord gave her a blinking oil light the other night and so she stopped and checked an sure enough the oil was too low to show on the dipstick. It was also throwing a P0420 code which is pretty common on her car when the fuel goes below half a tank I suspect due to it being a California emissions car that doesn't like our fuel blends here.

She didn't see any puddle on the ground. And when I looked closely the underside was clean and dry.

I swapped out the PCV valve and while I was at it changed the plugs thinking that if it was sucking oil they would be fouled, but they weren't. (I added a can of Seafoam and also replaced the air filter which was pretty restricted)

It isn't using any oil that I can tell at least at a rate that is noticeable.

SO...

Do you think I fixed it? or could it be something else?

anyone?

Comment

My 2000 excursion consumes oil if I run synthetic for some reason but does not foul my plugs. If I run conventional it does not. I have no clue why this is but since going back to conventional I have not had oil loss issues. Apparently its a known issue with the V10 gas hogs. I know its a totally different engine but it may be worth exploring the google to see if others have experienced it with her engine.

Comment

gotta run it and see! The PCV valve was a good idea. Did you make sure the filter was spun on tight (assuming it isn't one of those cartridge filters)? Other than that, I can't really think of anything off the top of my head.

Comment

The P0420 code and half tank of fuel is a coincidence.

The fuel blends here will not induce a P0420 code.

How many Miles on it?

ALL engines consume some amount of oil. Doesn't matter what brand etc. How many Miles since last oil change? Do you check the level monthly? If you're extending oil changes 5-8k miles. You need to keep it topped off. What type of oil and viscosity do you use? What viscosity does the car require?

Comment

My wife’s 2009 Honda Accord uses lots of oil. I think it is a common issue with that year model. We use synthetic so maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

How much oil did you have to add to get it to the proper level?

Comment

The synthetic issue is interesting. I did in fact switch to a high mileage synthetic at the last oil change about 2K miles ago. The "oil life monitor" says 40% already which seems low but I don't know what factors go into that determination.

She needed to add 3qt to get it to the safe range when the light came on.

As to the p0420 code it regularly seems to come on if she drives it below half a tank of gas and has for some time. Topping off the tank usually makes it go away.

Comment

That code p0420 is a catalytic effencecy code. Get a can of catclean and follow the directions. Has worked for me twice.

Comment

If mileage is high, switching to full synthetic will most likely result in “some” loss of oil due to worn rings/pistons, but shouldn’t be that much in 2k miles unless there is considerable wear. Do a compression test and see what the results suggest. I’m assuming that engine takes no more than 5 quarts, so if you lost 3/5 of your capacity over 2k miles, it may indicate a need for a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                    X