Dove to shell ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    Counting shells in a dove field is kinda like trying to figure up what a pound of venison costs you. Just don’t do it.
    Yep, remember it only adds up when you add it up!

Comment

10 rounds pr bird last year. Will see in a few days (south zone) how I do this year.
      Last edited by locolobo; 09-10-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Don’t shoot the scatters guns often but when I do I make sure they cycle properly

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          No matter what kind of birds your hunting, sky busters normally have a pretty low shooting average. I’ve seen guys shooting at geese farther than I would shoot at a deer with a rifle.
          That's kind of what ends up messing me up. I shoot a full choke so I can hit them when they're out there a ways. It's not good for my shooting average but it's cool when you can bust one from way up there. It's fun. I like busting those high flyers I have to admit.

I catch heck over it at times. "Oh he's at 120 yards you better start shootin." On the other side of that I've got some praise over some of them that I've long bombed. You can't kill 'em if you don't shoot.

I killed a Eurasian dove one time with a single pellet to the head. I don't wanna say how far I think it was but he was well outside of shotgun range. Or he thought he was. He did the helicopter spin the whole way to the ground so I knew it was a head shot.
          Last edited by okrattler; 09-10-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

For me that ratio is all about shot selection. I shoot a 20 gauge improved over modified and my goal is to not miss the easy ones. If they are flying reasonably well and you are patient you should be able to limit without taking a shot beyond 25 yards. That helps the ratio considerably

Comment

Great topic and just brought up a thought! Who was the guy a few years ago that said as long as you keep your beer count below 25 (or something) you should be okay leaving the dove field!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So far about 2-1 but I ain’t seen many to actually shoot at

Comment

I’m more of a dove per box kind of guy.

Comment

I guess I have a perfect record. I haven’t missed in 3 years. ( BTW. Looking for a good dove lease. We lost ours 3 years ago.)

Comment

I quit paying attention

I can limit with 20 shells but my favorite types of hunts involve 2-3 boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        I guess I have a perfect record. I haven’t missed in 3 years. ( BTW. Looking for a good dove lease. We lost ours 3 years ago.)
                        Ha!! At first I was thinking dang GM is not only a great cook. But a great shot

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                          Great topic and just brought up a thought! Who was the guy a few years ago that said as long as you keep your beer count below 25 (or something) you should be okay leaving the dove field!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I wouldn't even trust myself drinking 12 beers. I'd kill a limit of dove in 3 boxes plus all my huntin buddies. There'd be shot up stuff layin everywhere.

Comment

Bout 8 to 1 . I can’t hit crap with a shot gun . Now give me an open sight rifle and it’s a different story .

Comment

I show up with no less than 2 boxes, usually 3. Some days I’ve limited out in less than a box, other days I’m counting the shells left in the second box to see if I even have enough left to make it to a limit.

Main reason I’ve thought about getting into shotshells reloading is so I can make some 3 or 3 1/2” magnum loads of 7.5 shot. More pellets out there the better, I need all the help I can get.

Comment

Depends on how well the birds are flying where I’m hunting. If it’s a really hot field with lots of birds that are flying low like coming into a grain field or tank I’m at I can do really well. But if like today and there aren’t many birds and the ones that are there are just passing over about a mile high it’s really tough to hit them.

Comment

Working...
                                X