No announcement yet.

Harvest vs Kill, The Language That We Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You harvest plants and you kill animals.

“Harvesting” an animal is the stupidest term ever…..you didn’t plant it…..so you can’t harvest it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s a pretty easy place to find out what words mean.

the season for gathering in agricultural crops; the act or process of gathering in a crop; a mature crop (as of grain or fruit) : yield… See the full definition

Comment

Assuming for the sake of his own argument that all anti-hunters eat hamburgers is pretty ignorant.
        I agree that words and context matter in communication.
        His opinion is a fart in the wind like all others.

Comment

I’ve never met an “anti hunter” who gave a rats arse about what words they used towards me.

Screw em! No one is making them kill anything.

Comment

I really don't know why it matters, which you use, people get the point either way.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              You harvest plants and you kill animals.

“Harvesting” an animal is the stupidest term ever…..you didn’t plant it…..so you can’t harvest it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              You may not have planted it, but you feed it ( even provide supplements for growth) , make sure it has a place to water, sleep, even go as far as naming them. Harvesting is really what your doing, like it or not.
              Last edited by critter69; 09-07-2022, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I’ve never met an “anti hunter” who gave a rats arse about what words they used towards me.

Screw em! No one is making them kill anything.

Boom!!!

That’s pretty much what I said several posts ago. Who was the (silly) article for? People that hate hunters aren’t going to change an opinion because of a word.

While hunters are in a great debate over the semantics of taking game, the antis still hate all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                  You may not have planted it, but you feed it ( even provide supplements for growth) , make sure it has a place to water, sleep, even go as far as naming them. Harvesting is really what your doing, like it or not.
                  It’s still killing! No matter which way you want to spin it!

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                    OP is concerned about the future of hunting - I appreciate that.

I view this as a "know your audience" type situation.

It's like the discussion I had with my my son.... "#$^%&" may be appropriate to say on the ball field in the heat of battle...but not so much at the dinner table or Sunday school!

I used the world "harvest" in front of a tender hearted little girl for example.- friend of the family....if it were a buddy I might have said I "smoked his *****" or "killed him grave yard dead"

Some of you knuckle draggers will use this thread to flex...that's your right as well and God Bless you!

A logical, level headed perspective. Very well stated, sir.

Comment

There was a time when words had value and there was a possibility of influencing non hunters to appreciate a hunters point of view. The country is so polarized now that many in the dwindling hunting community no longer care what words are used or what non hunters think. Still, anti hunters and non hunters get a vote too. Hunting is licensed and regulated by politicians that are elected by voters. Voters, many of whom have no relationship at all with hunting but lean left and are probably some of those easily offended.

Use whatever words you want. To each their own. It’s likely too late to make a difference anyway.

Why do anglers say, “Catch a fish” instead of “Kill a fish”? Maybe it’s because of catch and release, but, isn’t catch and release a modern term like “harvest”?

Comment

Why do anglers say, “Catch a fish” instead of “Kill a fish”? Maybe it’s because of catch and release, but, isn’t catch and release a modern term like “harvest”?

It's undoubtedly a modern practice.
                        Hard to catch and release while hunting. The ultimate goal is to kill an animal.
                        No matter how you try to sanitize the language, hunting involves killing.
                        Not always, but it is the goal.
                        Unless you are hunting arrowheads.

Comment

Good to see you on TBH, Beleg. You're always been an advocate for "the community", from the impression I've gotten.

Comment

I kill them, then I harvest the meat off their dead carcass. We keep training kids to be soft and dance around trying not to offend people who're gonna be offended anyway and guess what we're gonna end up raising a bunch of soft kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                              Good to see you on TBH, Beleg. You're always been an advocate for "the community", from the impression I've gotten.
                              Thanks! I’m still around, don’t post much, but still dropping in from time to time.

I know this subject has been beaten to death but I’m a former Bowhunter Ed instructor and past LSBA President. The percentage of the American population that hunts has dwindled while the overall population has grown. This is nothing new. It has been going on since the 60’s. We each need to do what we can to keep our sport going on into the future. I’m not advocating specific verbiage, use courtesy and good manners as we all should anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with your sentiment. Be polite and don't force your ideas or ideals on anyone, as that "always" results in resistance.

Comment

Working...
                                X