Calling All Weatherby Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Weatherby Gurus

Well, I used to be a Weatherby guru, but have moved on from seeking Weatherby's other than the .220 Rocket. I have a couple Varmintmasters and one puzzles me.

I have a .224 that the folks at Weatherby cannot figure out. If they can't figure it out, not sure if some guru here can do so, but any help is appreciated. I posted on the Weatherby forum as well, but no help yet there either.

Unmolested West German .224 (Varmintmaster obviously). Here comes the confusion. Bluing is perfect and SN is clearly "1126". . . not "S1126". 1126 would put it as the 126th rifle made by J.P. Sauer in W. Germany. It appears when stamped perhaps the person simply failed to utilize the "S". Any other explanation anyone can think of? Thanks for any input.

Page 3 of 4. Note indicates that early German Varmintmasters were also produced without the S.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Case View Post
      Page 3 of 4. Note indicates that early German Varmintmasters were also produced without the S.

http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/wbydata.pdf
      EXCELLENT! Thank you. Much appreciated.

Comment

Well now that your question is answered, we need pics of that little gem

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Put it back in the safe and headed out the door. Will see if I can get to it tonight. She is pretty. Thanks again to Head Case. Funny thing is the VERY nice gentleman at Weatherby spent 15-20 minutes on the phone with me going through his databases and couldn't find any notations of W. German rifles lacking the "S".

Comment

My bro said the same thing as head case. Prob a high 4k low 5k gun in the right auction if it’s in great shape. Looking forward to some pics I’ve only been into them the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Took some quick pictures early this am. Just looking at them and not very good, but you get the gist. :-). Has Buehler bases. Rings are readily available and going to do some research for correct era specific scope.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by RR 314; 03-29-2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

BEAUTIFUL rifle!

Thanks for posting!

Have a friend who has one that he purchased new in the early 70's. His scope is a 3x9x40 that actually says "Weatherby" on it. I'm guessing it was made by Leupold, possibly Redfield, but "Weatherby" is all that it says.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

BEAUTIFUL rifle!

Thanks for posting!

Have a friend who has one that he purchased new in the early 70's. His scope is a 3x9x40 that actually says "Weatherby" on it. I'm guessing it was made by Leupold, possibly Redfield, but "Weatherby" is all that it says.
                      Think it was Hertel and Reuss. I may have that backwards or otherwise butchered it. I just want to find one that is correct for ‘63/‘64.

Comment

Dang that’s nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          Think it was Hertel and Reuss. I may have that backwards or otherwise butchered it. I just want to find one that is correct for ‘63/‘64.

You are correct! Don't know why I didn't think to ask the google machine earlier.

https://faq.weatherby.com/weatherby-...d-rifle-scopes

Comment

Working...
                          X