Any 300 WSM Reloaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 300 WSM Reloaders?

Building a 300 wsm on a medium action with a carbon6 22" barrel.

Wondering if anyone that reloads for the cartridge could let me know what powders you are having luck with.
    I have an 8# jug of RL26 that I am hoping will work, but I'm afraid that might be a bit on the slow side.

Thanks in advance.

I shoot Norma 180gr bond strike extreme out of my Christensen. Sub-moa

Comment

i bought a bunch of bond strike because brass is nonexistent. I figure if my rifle likes it, thats a bonus. but I will use the brass to reload.

Comment

165 accubonds are my favorite followed by the 150 version. RL19, IMR4831 and H414 seem best. superformance did ok but was a good bit faster.

Comment

RL26 is made from unicorn dust, will certainly work in a WSM and likely give great velocity with 165-215 grain pills.

Comment

I use W760 and H414 with magnum primers. I get best results from 150 - 165 gr Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. I do not like using nickel plated brass.

Comment

H4350 works best in my rifle and I tried a few of the powders mentioned. RL26 is an excellent choice for a 300WSM, just remember that it is a temperature sensitive powder. What works good at 65 degree temperatures may have pressure spikes at 90 degrees. My bullet of choice is 180gr Hornady Interbond, it will bust shoulders up and remove the running gears from big animals. They also produced better groups than Nosler Accubonds. However, my barrel is a 3 groove Lilja and that might have something to do with that.

In my experience with Winchester short mag cartridges, they put an extreme amount of pressure on the bolt face by the design of the case. High quality brass will be your friend, I learned that the hard way. I got a "deal" on some new Federal brass and immediately had issues with galling on the bolt face from the soft brass. I called the rifle builder who is West Texas Ordnance and Clayton told me to throw the brass in the trash and start over. I am using Norma brass now and have reloaded twice with no problems.
              Last edited by Radar; 03-24-2023, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Will be using Norma brass because I have several boxes of bond strikes to shoot through. Definitely want to stick with 180 - 190 grain bonded bullets if I can find them. I might try some of the more temp stable powders, but I was hoping the RL26 would work mainly because I have so much of it. Bought it for a previous build that I ended up scrapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly there isn’t many cartridges that RL26 won’t work really good in. Usually top end on velocity and case fill

Comment

72 gr of Staball 6.5, GMM primers under a 150gr Barnes TSX or TTSX will get you 3300 fps out of a good 26" barrel and still be slightly under the 64,000 psi max pressure for this round. You don't really need that much punch but if you must

Comment

I might have to look for some staball. Lots of recommendations for it in 300wsm. I guess if something works better it should be pretty easy to sell or trade the RL26.

Comment

X2 on being carful with RL 26 in warm weather. I quit using it because of that. If your close to top end below 80 degrees it gets western above 80.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                          I might have to look for some staball. Lots of recommendations for it in 300wsm. I guess if something works better it should be pretty easy to sell or trade the RL26.

Staball 6.5 is a very fine grain spherical powder and works best in longer barrels using magnum primers to get a complete ignition burn. It works in a lot of different calibers. I have used it in 6.5CM, .308, .270 and 300WSM and my wildcat 338WSM all the way up to .375H&H and anything else you would use BL-C2 or H414 or W760 in.

Comment

Winchester Staball will achieve some very high velocities with the pressures within SAAMI specs but you have to play with it because sometimes higher velocities aren't always your most accurate. Like any other load you have to find the node it likes. The best nodes I have found are usually less than maximum velocity. Even though it may appear like it burns dirty there is less carbon left behind and brass cleanup is easier.

Comment

I appreciate the help. Got my dies in today. Just waiting on my barrel and stock. Hopefully can find some bullets by the time I get it together. At least I have a bunch of the Norma bond strike to shoot for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X