Africa 2024 caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa 2024 caliber

We’re heading over and my buddy who has been a couple of time says just take my 270 or 308 , here’s the game on the target card
    Kudu
    Gemsbuck or Burchell Zebra
    Blue Wildebeest or Black Wildebeest or Red Hartebeest
    Blesbuck
    Warthog
    Impala

I’m wanting to bird hunt a couple of days so I need to pick one or rent a different caliber , any recommendations?

Zebra and Wildebeest are tough animals, the rest on your list are not. Many of these animals have been killed with a .308. I think .338 win mag is the ultimate plains game rifle though and is good for anything in north america as well.

Comment

A .308 with a premium bullet and perfect shot placement will kill anything on your list.

That said, the only experience I have with Africa is Tarzan movies and perfect shots ain’t always delivered. If it were me, I’d prefer at least a .300 Win Short Mag or .300 Win Mag. I like to shoot through both shoulders.

Comment

The first three (lines/options) on this list are pretty tough animals. In my opinion the .375 H&H or .375 RUM is the perfect rifle for Africa. Never know when a PH will have a special offer on DG once there. That being said, I am headed over in two weeks with .458 Lott and .375 H&H.

Hire rifle from PH for game listed is likely a 30-06. 30-06 or .300 mag. of some variety would be best on some of your list, with proper bullets, but the .270 and .308 will kill.

Comment

I'd be min 300 mag +, 180 gr + on those larger animals. A 22-250 will kill them.....when everything is perfect. You can never be over gunned or the animal too dead

Comment

3 trip over and I use a 375 Ruger Alaskan on all PG and step up to a 470NE for the dangerous stuff. You do not want to have to pass a shot on an animal because you do not have enough gun in your hand when you are miles away from the truck.

Comment

I agree with the 300 WSM or regular 300. The trick isn't killing them, it is finding them after you shot. The 300 should give you and exit wound for tracking.

Comment

My brother went in 2022 and took his .270. Killed everything on your list, minus zebra, with 140gr HPBT gamekings. I wasn't there but I watched the videos his PH took and all were less than 40 yard track jobs, with the Gemsbok being the only one that he put two in.

Comment

I have a like new Sako 338 Win Mag that you need. $900
                  Attached Files

Comment

Your 308 will kill anything on your list, don't over think it.

Comment

308/270 will kill African plains game, but are on the light side. Keep in mind if dangerous game is present in the area you hunt, they can be I’ll mannered and have to be shot for self preservation. There will be some say that the danger is not likely enough to warrant a larger caliber, and that’s probably true if hunting from a hide overlooking a water hole. Hunting from foot tracking thru thick bush there’s a need for a big enough gun to take a shot that might not have the best angle. 338 win mag with a premium 200+ grain bullet is bad medicine for plans game and has some stopping power for the ones that mean you harm.

Comment

35 Whelen, it will do anything the 308 or 30-06 will do, but better.

Comment

270 with a TTSX or quality bonded bullet. You get better ballistics with a 270.

Comment

You are overthinking it.

Comment

Kudu are not tough animals. No dangerous game in South Africa will be where you are hunting...in most cases. Don't worry about long shots. Most of the animals you will stalk will see you and keep you at a distance of 100-200 yards. They are not like whitetail. and don't overthink it.

Comment

Working...
                              X