No announcement yet.

Food Texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eat anything and everything, and can make a meal out of just about anything.

Got invited to go out to some nice place tonight with some lawyers, but I'll be just fine eating a frozen dinner at home or some vienna or Spam from the cabinet.

When I'm in Florida at our house, the freezer is full of bowls and lean cuisine type things, but we often eat the same stuff at our house in Texas when we are both there.

It's just food, eat it and move along.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

Got invited to go out to some nice place tonight with some lawyers, but I'll be just fine eating a frozen dinner at home or some vienna or Spam from the cabinet.

When I'm in Florida at our house, the freezer is full of bowls and lean cuisine type things, but we often eat the same stuff at our house in Texas when we are both there.

I don’t know how you don’t gorge on fresh seafood over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Weird side topic….anyone here eat Indian food? What do you get?

There are several places popping up around here, and I’ve seen it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. I feel like there is probably something there I’d really like, but I also feel like the wrong choice could be catastrophic. Like Russian roulette.lol

Indian like in Asia?

I love Indian food and cook some.

First, it tends to be spicy. Like…. Very spicy but like all cuisines, you can get it toned down or some dishes without.

The most popular, probably by far, is butter chicken. The spice level can be fairly low but it almost always has red pepper. You can make it without. In restaurants in the US, England and even in India it is probably the most popular dish. Butter chicken is usually boneless and skinless chicken thighs, marinated and either grilled or seared in a pan. It is in a gravy made with butter, puréed tomatoes, a few spices and then with a good bit of heavy cream added. I have introduced it to about 15 people. One said it was okay but wouldn’t order it, one could not stand it and the rest thought it was great.

Tikka Masala is a similar dish but maybe more spicy and less creamy.

Much if the foods in India are curry but while curry generally has a distinct flavor profile in English, in India the word tends to be more broad like meaning “flavoring”. They might call Mexican chili powder, a curry. What I call Indian or Thai curry however has a fairly distinctive taste profile.

Indians typically use spices such as black and green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, coriander, garlic, ginger root, nutmeg, mace, mustard seeds, fenugreek (kind of a bitter leaf), turmeric and Kashmiri red pepper (to me it tastes like cayenne but not nearly as spicy).

They have a very popular rice dish called biryani. It’s kind of like their version of dirty rice with meats (can be chicken, shrimp, etc) with some of the aforementioned spices.

Then there is samosas which is an Indian (or Pakistan) egg roll or dumpling, usually in a triangle shape like Japanese gyoza.

Papadum is along the same lines as chips and salsa but with their version of a crispy bread like tortilla chips and their version of salsa.

Naan is a flat bread served with most meals or the similar paratha which is fried flat bread.

Tandoori chicken is like a crispy grilled chicken with some of the same spices in what to me is like a vertical pizza oven.

Indian food is great if you like those different spice flavors and like foods with a lot of flavors going on. I am guessing from the comments in this thread that quite a few people would be reluctant to even try it. For the people that only use black pepper and salt on a roast or chicken or thinks that chili powder or chili itself is disgusting, it is probably a no go.

If you get adventurous, I would probably start with butter chicken. From my experience it probably has a 95% approval rating with a about half going… OMG!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

I love and appreciate good food. Some of it is expensive and with great flavors.

A hotdog, Spam, ramen noodles, rice and beans, etc., is just as appreciated.

Comment

I’m not real big on chicken unless it’s fried, but I’d definitely try that! The breads and stuff look really good. I’m gonna try it pretty soon. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

I’m not real big on chicken unless it’s fried, but I’d definitely try that! The breads and stuff look really good. I’m gonna try it pretty soon. Thanks for all the info.

I worked security for 2 different events, not with traditional Indian food. One of the events had limited options available. I tried all of them and couldn’t find anything I liked. The other event everything was cooked on site and they had tons of options. I like most everything, but it was all labeled in Indian, so I didn’t have a clue what I was eating, but most was delicious. Some was spicy and some was very spicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Weird side topic….anyone here eat Indian food? What do you get?

There are several places popping up around here, and I’ve seen it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. I feel like there is probably something there I’d really like, but I also feel like the wrong choice could be catastrophic. Like Russian roulette.lol

I made that wrong choice once. But only once.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  Indian like in Asia?

I love Indian food and cook some.

First, it tends to be spicy. Like…. Very spicy but like all cuisines, you can get it toned down or some dishes without.

The most popular, probably by far, is butter chicken. The spice level can be fairly low but it almost always has red pepper. You can make it without. In restaurants in the US, England and even in India it is probably the most popular dish. Butter chicken is usually boneless and skinless chicken thighs, marinated and either grilled or seared in a pan. It is in a gravy made with butter, puréed tomatoes, a few spices and then with a good bit of heavy cream added. I have introduced it to about 15 people. One said it was okay but wouldn’t order it, one could not stand it and the rest thought it was great.

Tikka Masala is a similar dish but maybe more spicy and less creamy.

Much if the foods in India are curry but while curry generally has a distinct flavor profile in English, in India the word tends to be more broad like meaning “flavoring”. They might call Mexican chili powder, a curry. What I call Indian or Thai curry however has a fairly distinctive taste profile.

Indians typically use spices such as black and green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, coriander, garlic, ginger root, nutmeg, mace, mustard seeds, fenugreek (kind of a bitter leaf), turmeric and Kashmiri red pepper (to me it tastes like cayenne but not nearly as spicy).

They have a very popular rice dish called biryani. It’s kind of like their version of dirty rice with meats (can be chicken, shrimp, etc) with some of the aforementioned spices.

Then there is samosas which is an Indian (or Pakistan) egg roll or dumpling, usually in a triangle shape like Japanese gyoza.

Papadum is along the same lines as chips and salsa but with their version of a crispy bread like tortilla chips and their version of salsa.

Naan is a flat bread served with most meals or the similar paratha which is fried flat bread.

Tandoori chicken is like a crispy grilled chicken with some of the same spices in what to me is like a vertical pizza oven.

Indian food is great if you like those different spice flavors and like foods with a lot of flavors going on. I am guessing from the comments in this thread that quite a few people would be reluctant to even try it. For the people that only use black pepper and salt on a roast or chicken or thinks that chili powder or chili itself is disgusting, it is probably a no go.

If you get adventurous, I would probably start with butter chicken. From my experience it probably has a 95% approval rating with a about half going… OMG!

It sounds like you’re quite steeped in Indian cuisine. Have you traveled or spent much time there?

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    That is my main (realistically only) thing that I can’t stand. It isn’t texture or knowingly what it is, I just can’t stand the taste. I’ve tried and just can’t do it.

I know that some things that I have eaten have had liver in it but it was disguised enough that I could not taste the liver.

The rest of the many foods listed in this thread….. bring it and don’t forget the doggy bag so I can take leftovers home.

And for any rebuttals, yes I’ve had liver cooked the “right way”. Whether it is your grandmother’s or Luby's liver and onions or…..
                    I've had liver at several places, even my mom's home cooked. It's not the texture, I just don't like it. It is a waste of a good onion. I do like liverwurst and other sausages that have liver in them. Just not liver on it's own.

Comment

yeah texture matters. that's why I can't eat mushrooms or oysters.

maybe some of you just like slimy things in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

Neither are slimey

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Food Texture?

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                          Neither are slimey

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’d hate to see what you think is slimy then. Lol

Comment

I think it depends how poor you were brought up lol. We had no choice to be picky on textures, smells, or how food looks food was food. While my wife on the other hand does not eat bread, has never had a sandwich, ham and cheese or peanut butter and jelly. It is really odd, but she is very picky about textures with foods as well. I just say it was spoiled at a young age. I just tell her to not say anything about textures around my daughters so they do not start thinking this way.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

Oysters are on a whole new level. I just started eating them a few months ago, but I have yet to eat more than 2 for this reason.

Comment

Also I’ll just add, a ham sandwich with crushed up Fritos inside it is way better than without! [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X