Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    If you haven't bought it already....that may be last year's seed. This year's seed probably won't be ready until late March/April. Producer's Coop in Bryan will have peredoviks in April.
    Thanks, I live right around the corner. How much / type of fertilizer do you typically use?

My soil needs some 21-7-14

Comment

Can't speak for the wise sage of UncleFish, but a soil test will tell you exactly how much fertilizer you need. As for brand/type, I would go to the coop with your sheet and have them mix it for you in a hopper so its a one shot deal.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
        Can't speak for the wise sage of UncleFish, but a soil test will tell you exactly how much fertilizer you need. As for brand/type, I would go to the coop with your sheet and have them mix it for you in a hopper so its a one shot deal.
        Yeah I did a soil test last year, that's where the 21-7-14 came from. Was just curious of sunflowers preferred a lot of nitrogen, etc

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
          Yeah I did a soil test last year, that's where the 21-7-14 came from. Was just curious of sunflowers preferred a lot of nitrogen, etc
          Sunflowers love Nitrogen.

Comment

Has anyone ever planted black oil sunflowers for dove? I found a 40lb sack at Walmart (bird seed) for cheap, threw a handful in a bucket of dirt and they all sprouted. Can't see any reason they won't work. Anybody tried it?

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
              Has anyone ever planted black oil sunflowers for dove? I found a 40lb sack at Walmart (bird seed) for cheap, threw a handful in a bucket of dirt and they all sprouted. Can't see any reason they won't work. Anybody tried it?

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Never done it but don't see why you wouldn't have a decent sunflower plot.

I'm sure that seed is at least a year old and probably won't get the same germination rate as fresh non-birdseed but you can overcome that with doubling the seeding rate.

Comment

Got my seed bought. Ouch on the browntop....

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Friday showed a forecast for rain of 70%. Hauled it up to the property Saturday morning to sow the sunflowers and sesame. Chance of rain now for Tuesday sits at 15% with a 50% chance on Wednesday. Keep praying for rain folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                    Friday showed a forecast for rain of 70%. Hauled it up to the property Saturday morning to sow the sunflowers and sesame. Chance of rain now for Tuesday sits at 15% with a 50% chance on Wednesday. Keep praying for rain folks!

Those look like clearfield sunflower seed. Did you spray pre emergent on them? Did you plant them separately from the sesame or together? Imazamox will be great for the clearfield sunflowers but cant use on the sesame. You would be limited to a clethodim product for only grasses if they were both planted together. We went from mud to brick in our planting areas in a few weeks. Rain chances for us look bleak. Hoping you get good rains on your new planting. Good luck and keep us posted on their growth

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                      Those look like clearfield sunflower seed. Did you spray pre emergent on them? Did you plant them separately from the sesame or together? Imazamox will be great for the clearfield sunflowers but cant use on the sesame. You would be limited to a clethodim product for only grasses if they were both planted together. We went from mud to brick in our planting areas in a few weeks. Rain chances for us look bleak. Hoping you get good rains on your new planting. Good luck and keep us posted on their growth

As far as I know it is just Hybrid Black Oil Sunflower seed that I ordered from Turner. I just assumed the blue was a dye they put on so you could see where they were broadcast, maybe I should check with them. They are planted separate, although next door to the sesame. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Hope you get some good rain SM!

I'm planting half the peredoviks (100 day maturity) the first week of May for mid-August....and the other half two weeks later to stagger them. The browntop will go in mid/late June (60 day maturity).

Comment

As far as I know it is just Hybrid Black Oil Sunflower seed that I ordered from Turner. I just assumed the blue was a dye they put on so you could see where they were broadcast, maybe I should check with them. They are planted separate, although next door to the sesame. Appreciate the feedback.

Good deal. My Mycogen clearfield sunflower seed is blue as well. It could be the anti fungal/insecticide inhibitor coating. Now it looks like heavy multi inch rains for us starting Friday. Always impeccable timing.

Comment

Same here on planting sunflower. Planted hybrids from turners last weekend in Young county. Calling for rain a few days later. Weatherman wrong like normal. No rain whatsoever. Hope it comes before too long.

Comment

Pray for rain

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                                Good deal. My Mycogen clearfield sunflower seed is blue as well. It could be the anti fungal/insecticide inhibitor coating. Now it looks like heavy multi inch rains for us starting Friday. Always impeccable timing.
                                Jesse from Turner informed me this morning that it is as you stated above, a fungicide/insecticide coating to protect the seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X