Anyone ever sued their HOA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever sued their HOA?

No, I'm not venting again, Smart ... this is legit!

As law abiding members of our HOA, we go through the proper channels (even though it's a pain in the butt) just like we're supposed to. Tina wants to extend our covered patio, in the back yard, the full length of the house, adding roughly 10x40 foot larger covered area and a sidewalk that goes from the front door to the street. I drew up the plans and elevations (which the ARC requests with your application) and we submitted them just like you're supposed to.

In the mailbox today (we hadn't checked it in a few days) was our "approval" letter from the ARC/HOA. They approved the covered patio, but denied approval for the sidewalk!

Here's the pisser ... from my front porch, I can see 3 houses, directly across the street, that have the exact sidewalk, that runs from their front door to the street. We drove around just two blocks, in our section, which is less than 5% of the subdivision, and found 12 houses that had sidewalks from the front door to the street. (this doesn't even include the butt ugly rock yard with the giant flagstone walkway, two houses down)

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2567.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	24808242

Name:	100_2568.JPG
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24808243

Name:	100_2569.JPG
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24808244

Name:	100_2570.JPG
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24808245

Name:	100_2572.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	24808246

Name:	100_2574.JPG
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24808247

Name:	100_2575.JPG
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	24808248

Name:	100_2576.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24808249

Name:	100_2577.JPG
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	24808250

Name:	100_2578.JPG
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24808251

Name:	100_2579.JPG
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	24808252

Name:	100_2580.JPG
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24808253

This might not seem like a big deal, but it's rediculous that they would deny this change when there's already others like it.

I'm calling them tomorrow and hopefully I can calmly express my point.

My plan of attack:
    There are already houses with similar sidewalks all over the neighborhood. Your choices ... approve my sidewalk, provide documentation that all other similar sidewalks are under corrective action by the HOA, or I sue the HOA for discrimination!

Is this unreasonable?

i got your back little buddy

build it !!!

Comment

nope

Comment

I feel your pain, my HOA sucks to!!!

Comment

Just do it. They don't have a leg to stand on.

Comment

ya my HOA sucks as well i got a letter for my water hose being in my drive way from watering the yard

Comment

Id just do it. Everybody else has one.

Comment

Good luck, if they are reasonable people its a no brainer, otherwise your life will be a nightmare if you choose to pursue it...

Comment

Geez!

Comment

Kevin im not dissagreeing with you or saying that your HOA is right or wrong.. IN fact I could care less either way... Personally this is why I refuse to buy with a HOA>..

BUT

The main purpous of a HOA is to make sure people dont use funky colors IE painting their front door pink or building arbors in the front yard or whatever other funky crap you can think of...

I know the rock yard and yes that shouldnt have been allowed in my opion.. HOwever the reason for a HOA also is to make sure that houses keep unique character...

MOre then likely their reason for turning you down is because there are already so many house close by that have side walks and any more would make all the houses look that same and their wouldnt be any uniqueness. .

Again I dont agree I think if you pay 200 grand for a house you should be able to paint your front door hunter orange if you want too and your mail box camo. Neihbors might not like it but who cares its not their house..

Just dont be suprised if that is the reason they give you and if you threaten to sue it might or might not do any good... But if you due dont be suprised if they win also....

just saying sorry buddy

Comment

Get their plans, modify it with your house info and submit it again. there is something on yours different than the original ones, of youre not greasing the right wheel. Pointing out that so and so has one and you want one too isnt going to stand up.

And yes our development is being sued too. so much so that it is affecting basic services.

Comment

Nice house....... thats why i got and acre of land NO HOA .. IF I WANT TO CUT DOWN A TREE I DO IT
                        OR BUILD ON I DO IT...

Comment

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
                          Nice house....... thats why i got and acre of land NO HOA .. IF I WANT TO CUT DOWN A TREE I DO IT
                          OR BUILD ON I DO IT...
                          Amen Bro. Bill!

Comment

didnt that guy with the rock yard go around the HOA....can't you do the same thing?

Comment

I am sure there is a reason they denied it and it is probably a minor one. Call them and ask specific reasons why. Ask what you need to do for them to approve it as there are several others with the same sidewalk in the neighborhood. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X