Wear your sunscreen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JunxMan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my current understanding is that the skin cancer areas aren't necessarily the same area that "got too much sun" but can be triggered by too much sun in any area of the body? That would explain the skin cancer on the foot.........?
    I had never heard that but that would make sense, I burned the top of my foot too many times and the cancer came out on the bottom, weird.

Comment

Just a reminder, it don't matter the time of year. You can still get your skin damaged from sun exposure after it cools off. But if you enjoy be-n skint alive, well go for it, I guess.

If you've got pics, feel free to post them.

Comment

I'm scheduled for a Mohs procedure on my nose October 7th. They told me to expect significant scarring and 2-3 days recovery.

I have good health-insurance but the dermatologist would not schedule the procedure until it was pre-approved by BCBS. Apparently some insurance plans consider the Mohs procedure "cosmetic" and will not approve it.

I had a "scrape and burn" done on my hand 5 weeks ago and the scar it left is pretty ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Just a reminder, it don't matter the time of year. You can still get your skin damaged from sun exposure after it cools off. But if you enjoy be-n skint alive, well go for it, I guess.

If you've got pics, feel free to post them.
          How did you know to have your nose looked at? Did your primary doctor tell you to?

It didnt even look like anything was really there in the first pictures.

I was born and raised in Hawaii and would rarely put sun block on. I got sunburn a lot and sometimes it would create blisters before it would start peeling. This has me feeling a little worried.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            How did you know to have your nose looked at? Did your primary doctor tell you to?

It didnt even look like anything was really there in the first pictures.

I was born and raised in Hawaii and would rarely put sun block on. I got sunburn a lot and sometimes it would create blisters before it would start peeling. This has me feeling a little worried.

J
            On the first one, I used the internet to ID it. Then got a referral to a dermatologist. There are 3 basic types. And tons of images out there. I spent my time learning what to look for.

The this one I found. And was going to a different dermatologist. She was just going to freeze it. I told her it needed to be biopsied. And test confirmed my suspensions. She then referred me to another Mohs surgeon for removal.

The internet can be educational if used correctly.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Very good. Glad you caught them.

J

Comment

Great reminder Michael, I get checked every six months.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  This is a good thread, I have an uncle that has struggled with this for a while. Unfortunately, he had a spot on his chin that went a little too long and metastasized throughout this body. He has been battling tumors in his brain for about a year now and it is disheartening to see how fast it has consumed his body, brain, and abilities.

Don’t wait to get stuff diagnosed and taken care of, even if you are not sure.

Also, I have gone to wearing a lot of UV rated long sleeve and long pants clothes in addition to sunscreen and brimmed hats.
                  Not to be a Debbie Downer, but we put my uncle in the ground two weeks ago. His last month was something no one should go thru.

Stay vigilant and watch your sun exposure.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Bryan. My condolences' sir!

Comment

Back at the surgery center for another removal. This one is on my chest towards the top of my sternum centered between my pecs. Will try to keep updated.

Wear your sunscreen!

Comment

2 weeks post biopsy. The large one will be addressed today. The small one was negative.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221117_181903.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	24700936

Comment

First layer off and being checked. Cauterized to control bleeding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221214_131702.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	24700937Click image for larger version

Name:	20221214_131705.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	24700938

Comment

An experimental cancer vaccine from Moderna Inc based on the messenger RNA (MRNA) technology used in successful COVID-19 vaccines has been shown to work against melanoma, sending Moderna shares more than 20% higher and driving up of other biotechs working on similar treatments. A combination of Moderna's personalized cancer vaccine and Merck & Co's blockbuster immunotherapy Keytruda cut the risk of recurrence or death of the most deadly skin cancer by 44% compared with Keytruda alone in a mid-stage trial, the companies said on Tuesday.

May be some help for Melanoma soon

Comment

We decided to leave this one open. And just pack it with vasoline every day like I did with my last one on my nose. Stitching it up would mean more skin removal to make it football shaped. But what's more is that I wouldn't be able to do much over the next week or so while I'm off work on vacation. As I might tear the stitches out if I drew my arms back, like drawing a bow would do.

Comment

That's great news to read, Tom!

Comment

Working...
                                X