Add a cabin and tax increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a cabin and tax increase

We owned acreage in Kerr county. Nothing on it but trees and rock. The taxes were over $3,000.00 a year. I spoke with the tax office and three every scenario I could think of at her.
    One buddy of mine said I could build a well house as large as I wanted and it was still a well house. I was also told I could build a garage or shed and it would be taxed as such.
    The tax office has seen and heard everything. Bottom line is “ if you have a shed and run power and water to it it becomes a dwelling and will be taxed as such”.
    My question to y’all is this: as a percentage, how much did your taxes increase if and when you put a small cabin on your place. We sold the place in Kerr county and doubled our land in Robertson county. The property had a wildlife exemption on and out taxes are $9.00 per lot.
    If I put a small cabin on it with power and water how will that play out. Will I get a separate tax bill?
    As usual, thanks in advance

Cheapest on taxes. Build you cabin out on a trailer/. Easy to get mobile home frame or travel trailer frame. Then this is not a permanent structure. Family member did this and built out a nice tricked out cabin on a trailer. Just an option

Comment

Yep. Get a trailer. I bought a decent bumper pull camper with a slide out. Been on my place for 3 years and no tax increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        We owned acreage in Kerr county. Nothing on it but trees and rock. The taxes were over $3,000.00 a year. I spoke with the tax office and three every scenario I could think of at her.
        One buddy of mine said I could build a well house as large as I wanted and it was still a well house. I was also told I could build a garage or shed and it would be taxed as such.
        The tax office has seen and heard everything. Bottom line is “ if you have a shed and run power and water to it it becomes a dwelling and will be taxed as such”.
        My question to y’all is this: as a percentage, how much did your taxes increase if and when you put a small cabin on your place. We sold the place in Kerr county and doubled our land in Robertson county. The property had a wildlife exemption on and out taxes are $9.00 per lot.
        If I put a small cabin on it with power and water how will that play out. Will I get a separate tax bill?
        As usual, thanks in advance
        You'll have an acre and the cabin taxed as residential and the rest will stay in ag/wildlife exemption.

Comment

Camo the roof so Google Earth can’t see it

Comment

All good stuff. And yes I have considered buying a rv large enough to have a shower, stove, etc in it. I’d insure it as well in case someone stole it off our property. But, having a cover built over it would probably set me back at least 20 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
              Camo the roof so Google Earth can’t see it
              This can work if you alternate different color metal roof panels and cover it with a camo net but…

There are several modes to Sat-Cam that won’t be fooled. Doubtful at this time the appraisal district use those modes.

Comment

Hog before I put an RV out there I would build an “RV”. Metal roof- 2x4 framing- real
                PEX for plumbing - etc. All it has to be is not permanent structure. Commercial campers degrade quickly when left out on ranches

Comment

Building a structure does not automatically make it become living quarters. That said, if you build some type of small minimal cabin type place you can certainly argue the facts of the building type and value they assign to it. Invite them out to look at it inside and out and show them what it is worth or not worth. Then your taxes are only going to go up the small %amount it amounts to. If your tax rate is 4% and you build a building they value at $10K then your taxes will be $400 a year and the land itself remains under AG...

Comment

Glen would a “portable building” be considered a permanent structure? It’s not on a trailer but can be moved.

Comment

Shipping container built out inside.

Comment

My question is how do they know you have run power and water to it? I built a 30X50 shop with a 14X60 lean too and have both run to it. It’s still considered hay storage. My taxes have not changed a bit with ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          Glen would a “portable building” be considered a permanent structure? It’s not on a trailer but can be moved.
                          Don't know about your taxing entity but I have a 20x40 morgan building that is classed as a portable.

Comment

Most CADS count any building, portable or not, as taxable structure while they are on the property. They will say if you don't want to pay taxes on it, then move it off the property. Typically those like a Morgan building are valued at storage pricing which is not much at all.

Comment

Hog. If you have it on a trailer it is not permanent. Wife did this for her career and is one that build on a trailer frame

Comment

Working...
                              X