Looking for a handgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a handgun

My oldest daughter is looking for a handgun for home protection.
    We figured we would buy her one for Christmas. I am leaning for something in 9mm.
    Looking at the Sig P365, S&W shield, and Springfield Armory Hellcat.
    Is there one you think is better than the other? Or is there another I need to be looking at?
    Just for reference. She’s not new to pistols. She has shot all my 1910’s in 45 caliber and my Springfield 9mm.

I think the Taurus G2C is a good 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
      I will check it out. Thanks

Comment

I carry a Shield Plus in 9mm every day. In the past I’ve carried Rugers, a Springfield, a Shield in .40, and a Taurus GX4. The Shield Plus is my favorite, followed by the Taurus. No matter what some say about Taurus, they aren’t the junk they used to be. I’d recommend either one.

Comment

I’ve got a Glock 48 in the classifieds with several upgrades/extras if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
            Very hard to beat for the cost conscious. If you don't mind spending more, that P365 is money!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
              Very hard to beat for the cost conscious. If you don't mind spending more, that P365 is money!
              It’s for my babies safety. More money is fine by me.
              I was hoping to hear from folks like you. Thank you!

Comment

If wanting something to keep in the home and not to carry, I would lean hard towards a Glock 17 or even Glock 19, if she was comfortable with what you mentioned she has shot. No need for a subcompact when size is not going to be an issue.

Both are exceptional guns for reliability and for the everyday shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  If wanting something to keep in the home and not to carry, I would lean hard towards a Glock 17 or even Glock 19, if she was comfortable with what you mentioned she has shot. No need for a subcompact when size is not going to be an issue.

Both are exceptional guns for reliability and for the everyday shooter.
                  Love the Glocks, and I should probably ask if she ever plans on carrying.
                  I was basing my choices on guessing one day she might. Thanks!

Comment

I have a shield and small Taurus, your welcome to look at to see if she likes the grip unless it’s surprise gift. Not trying to make a sales pitch. I’m in Leona or Hv, all the time. 3 houses from steakhouse.

Comment

if she doesn't shoot much probably the best choice is a Judge simplicity and will cover a doorway with one shot.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                        I have a shield and small Taurus, your welcome to look at to see if she likes the grip unless it’s surprise gift. Not trying to make a sales pitch. I’m in Leona or Hv, all the time. 3 houses from steakhouse.
                        It was going to be a surprise gift, but maybe I should rethink that to make sure she gets what she wants. Thanks for the offer and I will you in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                          if she doesn't shoot much probably the best choice is a Judge simplicity and will cover a doorway with one shot.
                          I wouldn’t say she shoots a lot, but she probably shoots more than most women. She can easily shoot 3-4” groups at 15 yards with my Colt 1911 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            My oldest daughter is looking for a handgun for home protection.
                            We figured we would buy her one for Christmas. I am leaning for something in 9mm.
                            Looking at the Sig P365, S&W shield, and Springfield Armory Hellcat.
                            Is there one you think is better than the other? Or is there another I need to be looking at?
                            Just for reference. She’s not new to pistols. She has shot all my 1910’s in 45 caliber and my Springfield 9mm.
                            IMO You have picked among the best three if you aren't terribly concerned about cost. Is she solid with racking the slide? The Shield EZ might be worth taking a look at if not. I believe they have a $50 rebate going on right now. If you aren't terribly concerned about the cost, the performance center versions are quite nice. If I was buying for my daughter, I'd probably do something like give her a card telling her I was going to get her a very nice pistol and let her shoot and choose and include things maybe you haven't considered like a Walther PDP F series, Revolvers, etc.

And... like you said... that's your baby. Don't cheap out, lol.
                            Last edited by ken800; 12-03-2022, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                              IMO You have picked among the best three if you aren't terribly concerned about cost. Is she solid with racking the slide? The Shield EZ might be worth taking a look at if not. I believe they have a $50 rebate going on right now.
                              When practicing, yes. In a panic situation I am not sure. Is there a big difference with the shield?

Comment

Working...
                              X