Nilgai - Lighter Arrow Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’re specs on the new arrow ?
    I’m a shade under 500 gr arrow using a 150gr head. But shooting like 263fps.

With a 28”/70lbs draw I had a hard time getting over 500 gr unless I respined to a 250 and went with a heavier insert. But then im scared I’d be getting to slow.

Comment

I’m shooting 653gr 63ish lbs 30” draw 200gr 2” grizzly stik silver flames and somewhere around 230-240fps. Shot a nilgai cow in shoulder thinking I had plenty to get through boy was I wrong. Shot was a little higher than I wanted but when it knocked her straight on her arse I figured she was dead. But she got up and took off running with zero limp and no blood. I either hit a solid leg bone or they are stupid tuff.

My broadhead wasn’t single bevel but not sure if that would even matter with these animals.

I will say this I personally will not shoot at another nilgai with a bow unless it’s quartering away and I can slip it in behind the shoulder.

After that shot I spent the rest of my weekend researching shot placement on them with a bow.
      Number one answer was low and tight. Even a double lunged nilgai can run quite a ways from what I read. Highly oxygenated blood on top of thick skin clotting the hole makes a long difficult tracking job.

I’m by no means an expert on nilgai, just sharing a little bit of info I’ve read.
      There’s a thread on here titled “Nilgai 2022!” Check it out tons of great info

Comment

@lazuras_dc - I went with RIP TKO Elite 300s with 150gr single bevels from Iron Will with bleeders. I also got IW’s 25gr collars and their 100gr inserts. I’ll put 2.75” vanes on it, left helical to match the bevel.

@79F250, crazy story, and I’ve heard similar more than once. But then I also know people who have knocked em down with less. Aside from shot placement being key, it seems highly variable with these tanks, whether they’ll drop or not. I’ve heard about the viral placement, bones, and hide, but hadn’t heard about the oxygenated blood. Good to know. If I see one, I just hope I can do my part and believe the new equipment will get it done! I’ve been keeping up with that Nilgai 2022 thread - definitely good stuff!

Comment

How do the Iron Will HIT inserts and collars compare to say a black eagle half out? Half out is 52 gr so is there any increase in strength or is it just getting more mass up front? (looks like 125gr on just the insert and collar vs. a 52gr halfout)

Comment

Originally posted by lazuras_dc View Post
            How do the Iron Will HIT inserts and collars compare to say a black eagle half out? Half out is 52 gr so is there any increase in strength or is it just getting more mass up front? (looks like 125gr on just the insert and collar vs. a 52gr halfout)
            The insert and collar are notably more durable than a half out. A half-out provides a long lever that on impact can split out the side of a carbon shaft. The collar re-inforces this critical interface. For outright toughness, collars are an upgrade for any diameter arrow IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
              The insert and collar are notably more durable than a half out. A half-out provides a long lever that on impact can split out the side of a carbon shaft. The collar re-inforces this critical interface. For outright toughness, collars are an upgrade for any diameter arrow IMO.

+1.

And micro diameters (.165/.166) are in the same boat as a half out as well. I have victory vaps with the 95gr outserts and I’ve shot the 50gr shok tl.

I was meticulous about getting them to spin true and even used JB weld to make sure I had enough set time to spin test them.

In the future I’ll be going back to .204 shafts with some sort of collar and a hit insert.

Comment

Nilgai - Lighter Arrow Success

Shot this in September. 433 grain arrow 100 grain Kudu point traveling at 280 fps. Full pass thru at 21 yards. Stood there walking in circles so I shot it again…full pass thru the second time.

Use a good cut on contact head and hit them quartering away as their vitals are between their shoulder blades not behind the shoulder.

You don’t need a carbon log with a shovel spade single bevel head to kill big animals.

Last edited by txtrophy85; 11-30-2022, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X