Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bignick612 View Post
    The biggest reason why people don't get a good bark is wrapping in foil or paper for too long or at the wrong time.
    I find this to be the case. Biggest thing is the time on the smoke. Some seasoning are using food safe (made from coconut husks) carbon in their rubs, which adds the black coloring along with some additional flavor. Hardcore Carnivore Black seasoning for example. It is really good on beef, though I have not used it on brisket (S&P only for me)

Comment

No it’s for smart ***.

Comment

I began by relying only on what I learned from the experienced smokers (such as on here).

Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper for a day in fridge
        Take out 1 hour before smoking.
        Smoker is initially too hot when placed on rack. Like 350*+ and allowed to drop to 275*
        Fat side up.
        Smoke til internal temp is 165*
        Wrap in butcher paper and cook til int temp is ~200*
        Remove and cooler for 1-2 hrs.

My learned lessons: Pecan wood preferred(some oak added at times). Very little if any mesquite.
        I've taken it to the indoor oven after wrapping for control when I had too much to do.
        That worked out just fine. Not as macho, but it is great too.

I adjust my BBQ and smoking based on family and friends responses vs what I think I like.
        Last edited by tigerscowboy; 05-12-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Catching up on brisket opinions before I throw one on for the weekend festivities and found this thread. Stick burners may be the preferred method for bark but there’s more than one way to get it done. This one came off a Masterbuilt electric smoker and was awesome. Smoker was so small that I had to lean the brisket upright on the point to get it to fit [emoji23]

Comment

Smart, or anyone else with pictures of the dark, black, thick bark....

What do your briskets look like after applying the rub, before putting it on the smoker? I cook on a BGE, and I think I make a decent brisket, but I never get quite the bark I want (407 bbq is kind of my reference). I suspect I'm too stingy with the rub.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
              It’s dry.

OP, you gotta run a stick burner to get that “crust” you are looking for.
              This right here is the answer.

Comment

Here are a few pics of my last one, not quite as much bark as normal but still came out delicious. The brisket should fold perfectly over the knife edge, and separate w a very slight tug. Salt, pepper, wood and stick burner were only things used

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't personally do this but have seen it many times successfully done to achieve a dark black exterior on any meat that is smoked or bbq'd.

Liberal amount of yellow mustard on entire outer surface. Coat liberally with your chosen seasoning adding lots of black pepper and ground coffee as well.

Cook as you normally would and I doesn't seem to matter if you wrap in foil or butcher paper or none at all, it still turns out dark black.

The only thing you'll taste is the coffee when it's all said and done.

Again, this is NOT my preferred method but it will give you the end result your seeking.

Good luck,
                  BBQ

Comment

Ok, now I need to cool another brisket. Luckily I have one in the freezer I bought a while back because the prices are crazy

Comment

I use Kosher Salt Cracked black pepper and lots of smoke it needs to billow out the entire time its on the pit. If you look at the stack and the smoke is getting weak throw another 2 logs on. When it has about 20 mins left of cook time just before the center hits 180 degrees I usually sprinkle some brown sugar over both sides. Not heavy just enough to give it a little sweet kick.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                        I use Kosher Salt Cracked black pepper and lots of smoke it needs to billow out the entire time its on the pit. If you look at the stack and the smoke is getting weak throw another 2 logs on. When it has about 20 mins left of cook time just before the center hits 180 degrees I usually sprinkle some brown sugar over both sides. Not heavy just enough to give it a little sweet kick.

Ideally, you don't want your smoke billowing....you want a clean burning light and blue smoke. A billowing heavy smoke is a dirty smoke and has a creosote taste long term.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00White-Blue-Smoke.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	24654569

Comment

Brisket is my favorite
                          My brothers can make some of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Ideally, you don't want your smoke billowing....you want a clean burning light and blue smoke. A billowing heavy smoke is a dirty smoke and has a creosote taste long term.

[ATTACH]1054306[/ATTACH]

HMMM I will have to give it a whirl. Ive always just had her blowing smoke and everyone seemed to like it but I am always up to try something different. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                              HMMM I will have to give it a whirl. Ive always just had her blowing smoke and everyone seemed to like it but I am always up to try something different. Thanks for the advice.

We can't avoid some white smoke....especially when we add wood, but as a whole, ideally, a good controlled fire has that burnt to blue fairly quickly like you see in the pic. You want to have it white for just a short period each adding of wood pieces and ending up light and blueish. Save that pic on your phone. You'll known blue smoke when you see it in no time. You might already have it and don't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                We can't avoid some white smoke....especially when we add wood, but as a whole, ideally, a good controlled fire has that burnt to blue fairly quickly like you see in the pic. You want to have it white for just a short period each adding of wood pieces and ending up light and blueish. Save that pic on your phone. You'll known blue smoke when you see it in no time. You might already have it and don't know it.
                                Yeah I am pretty sure I have been running blue smoke just dont remember. I dont add wood until the smoke has died down.

Comment

Working...
                                X