Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    In a lot of places a 130” mature buck is as good as it gets for most deer I’d say. 160” deer aren’t under every bush lol.

I’d gladly hunt a lease like that so long as my wife and daughter could shoot my culls. Just can’t afford it lol!
    Absolutely! Everyone’s goals are different!

Comment

Wow. What a variety of responses! I'm not surprised though, we have a diverse state and a diverse group of people on here. Good to hear from some that the reality exists!

As for land ownership - no debate that is more money, sorry wasn't trying to make that point. Fully respect that.

And I guess I am that mad at em! Mad enough to pay the money and sling the feed and do the hard work. I don't need to kill a trophy, or even a deer every year, I've proven that over the last 8 years. I've got two kiddos who are perfect for the culls and doe patrol. So I'll keep working and trying to find the right place.

I was on what I thought was a good one. We did have some drama but overall great group of guys and we had the right goals. We were just getting the place there but you can't stop progress and land owners who need to sell the place! It happens I guess.

I've found one place in the last few months of searching that meets my expectations. But there are 1 or 2 things that are a bit off with this place, and I can't quite get the right group of 10 guys together, so I will keep my search going I guess.

If you are one of those guys send me a message. Or if have one of those places and need a no nonsense guy to pull more than his fair share of weight...I can provide landowner and prior hunting partner references. I've got a couple of other buddies who are also ready to pull the trigger on a place. Our stuff is on trailers and ready to go!

Comment

2 of us lease 1160 acres in Webb county. I never thought I’d do it, but with lease fee and feed we spent a hair over $20k last year, and didn’t shoot a single deer. There were plenty of deer that we could’ve killed, but we’re in it to let them reach their full potential. We let several 6+ year old deer walk, because we want to see what they do at 7 to 8+ years old. In 4 years, we’ve killed 7 deer. 5 of these deer were 7+ and 2 of them were 5 (management deer). Fortunately, I have other places to go kill deer for meat, so it makes it a little easier for me to stomach the costs. That being said, I’m not sure how long I’ll keep doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the leases that preach management and shoot 3.5 yo saying they are culls or age them out at 6.5!��

Comment

You describe the lease that I just lost due to sale of the property….

Comment

I don't trophy hunt, never have found a recipe yet that makes horns taste good.

Comment

Trophy Hunting is Expensive

yeah, there are guys out there that will do it. There seems to be a breakover past 10K a year though.. maybe a mental block. If you can afford 10, you can probably afford 12. and sometimes that extra 2K (in feed) makes a big difference.

I tell my guys they probably won't shoot a trophy. We have 10 on 7000 acres.. trying to pick up another 600 acres and I might add a person for that, but if we get 3 trophies a year (real trophies), that's a success in my book.

we have killed a lot of cool management deer, and in fact, more deer were killed by guests in the last few years than members.

I like hunting with people who are after the experience, not just killing "a" deer.

one thing I've tried to do is limit the BS when the wrong deer is killed. Mistakes happen. Learn from them and move on. If it's a reoccurring deal, it's no longer a mistake.

I also like to post good natured reminders when mistakes happen. like this.
                Last edited by kyle1974; 06-28-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Its getting cheaper to just buy land. Hunt it a few years and if I don't like it sell it for a profit. Yes I'd like to have a big ranch with big deer, but its also nice to just have a place to go spend time with my dad. I killed a 150" and neighbor killed 160" in the past 2 years on less than 250 acres. Hated to sell that place. But I still get to hunt it after selling land.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    one thing I've tried to do is limit the BS when the wrong deer is killed. Mistakes happen. Learn from them and move on. If it's a reoccurring deal, it's no longer a mistake
                    I totally agree, you are dealing with human beings and mistakes happen and some guys need a reminder that its not the end of the world. I have seen guys come into camp with a mistake deer and other guys get off the lease over it. Total drama queens.

Comment

24 years of hunting low fence TX leases, feeding and doing all the work. Have yet to break 150” but one time in Texas. Passed countless 130-145” deer that were in that 3-5 year old Range to see them get shot by others. I’ll let you know when I figure it out.

Like others have said, I’m getting close to the point where it’s not near as fun anymore. Bust your *** all year, spend thousands and thousands of dollars. Big deer make people crazy. The trail cam, aging, claiming deer, asking for permission to shoot, his teeth only say he’s 4.5 years old game is getting old. Takes the fun out of it.

I love the camp life but out of state Midwest WT hunting is my number one passion and where I’ve killed my best bucks. Also least drama and only cost me my license fee and gas to get there. When my Dad can’t hunt anymore (Main reason I have a lease) I’ll be full time non resident hunter.
                      Last edited by James; 06-28-2021, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Feel bad for folks who define their hunting experience by the size of a set of antlers, first world problems I suppose....

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                          Feel bad for folks who define their hunting experience by the size of a set of antlers, first world problems I suppose....
                          I guess you are strictly a doe hunter then?

Comment

I don't define my hunting experience by horn size but I'll shoot a big, mature bucks any day of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                              I guess you are strictly a doe hunter then?
                              Nope but they do eat way better than a big ol testosterone filled buck. I exclusively hunt public land. I got away from leases a while back. Got tired of dumping money on the same old boring hunt guarding a corn barrel. Some folks do it year in and year out and that's great if they're enjoying it. I just never could justify the money spent just to be able to pound my chest about shooting a buck that slept within a hundred yards of said feeder and came in like clockwork. I'm happy fighting the crowds and having to outsmart the Deer and the other hunters I share the forest with. The point I'm trying to make is do what YOU enjoy, that's why I changed it up. If I ever do get a 160" buck in range I'll know I paid via sweat and many miles put on my boots along with a blister or two. Y'all keep growing them and I'll keep hunting them.

Comment

this is the official bottom line. i pay for a lease in maverick county...not cheap, but not out of control like some places. i go there mainly to relax and invite friends to have a good time.. taken some real nice deer there over the years, but i enjoy just having a drink and good meal with friends now-- its all about the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X