Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Nope.

Trophy hunting has soured me on leases and to a lesser extent deer hunting.

It’s almost impossibly to find a lease and just enjoy the lease and hunting. The drama a bunch of grown *** men can cause over a deer is just stupid.

We are our own worst enemy. We complain that hunting numbers are going down but we take the fun out of hunting even for kids and drive the price up so much in the name of shooting trophies that no wonder kids aren’t interested or some folks just can’t afford it or refuse to pay that much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X2

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
      The quickest way to have a "Trophy Lease", is to petition TPWD and make them turn your county into an archery only county. lol
      I don't know if you were being facetious, but there is some truth to this.

Comment

A trophy lease is still cheaper than a trophy wife.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          A trophy lease is still cheaper than a trophy wife.
          And almost as fun

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            I don't know if you were being facetious, but there is some truth to this.
            I was dead serious. Personally, I would love to see this happen in a couple of east texas counties I hunt. I think in just a few years time, guys would see more mature and higher scoring deer while hunting (my definition of a trophy), not to mention on camera. You take a rifle out of a guys hand and give him a bow, that changes the whole dynamics of things. A trial run of 3 years would be all it would take to see dramatic results.

Comment

I own land and it's more expensive than a lease for sure. That said if it were in an area known for trophy deer I probably couldn't have afforded it to begin with.
              At 57yo I don't think I need a trophy head on the wall to make me feel I'm a good hunter. Would I like one? Sure. But it's a quest I've given up on.
              Just like all the years of bass boats, rods, reels and tackle and yet I never made the professional circuit.
              I like seeing good bucks. I'd like to shoot a mature buck every season.
              But in the end his score doesn't define me.
              I'll be looking for a lease next season and I hope to find a good lease that has good guys to hunt with, good deer numbers and a few decent bucks taken each year. That'll be enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pay to play. Most WTX places don’t need to take over one trophy per 1K acres. I’m talking trophy….not the piddly 130-140 class deer that most guys shoot. If you wanna kill a 170…..you can’t shoot the 150’s….
                Most deer leases don’t have that quality to begin with…..and there is just too many hunters to let them grow. All wanna high five over their little piddly azz 130”

Comment

I found if you don't add up what you spend its a lot cheaper

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Someone has a really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reading through this thread makes me so grateful I live where I do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I did it for a about 10 or so years. I killed some really good bucks, but it wasn't cheap and it was a lot of work, I mean we paid a lot and worked our butts off. I didn't mind the work, as it was fun. Hunted the Junco a couple years, another ranch with a crazy BIL of the owner running it and driving us nuts, and another ranch that right before the season tried to impose a 25k penalty for shooting a buck without his (manager)approval (lawyers involved to get help get our equipment off that lease). Lots of drama, which we finally got away from when my buddy bought his own ranch in Zavalla County. We hunted there for about 8 years, grow some amazing low fence deer for being 170 acres. I don't care to spend that kind of money anymore and as long as I have place for my son to shoot a couple of deer, I am happy. I don't need to shoot another whitetail the rest of my life. Now elk and mulies, I am still mad at them. lol. I will say that I was on the Horn Ranch for about 7 years and we killed some great bucks there with the best landowner you could ask for in David Price.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                          Are there guys out there that want to do this?
                          Yes there are guys out there that want to do this. The problem is finding the right guys. It has been my experience that "leases" where the rules are strict and the trophy's few you have drama out the wazoo. Drama is a lease killer. Guys start out gung ho then after a couple years with no trophy they get frustrated and turn into little girls. You gotta have men that can go 5, 10, 15 years without a trophy and are ok with that. Those guys are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                            Reading through this thread makes me so grateful I live where I do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Me too brother.

Comment

There aren't many leases that are managed correctly and have a group of hunters who will put in the time, money and patience to consistently shoot big deer. For every true trophy lease, there's 100 run of the mill places with a landowner/lease manager who THINKS they have this kind of trophy place. Usually they're just playing junior biologist and the "management" plan does nothing in the long run besides take the fun out of hunting. People still pay top $ for it though because "muh big buck." The good news is, if you want to shoot anything that moves, there's always public and plenty of hunting/not farming leases available, usually for cheaper. You just gotta find what you want and what your pocketbook can justify.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                                Pay to play. Most WTX places don’t need to take over one trophy per 1K acres. I’m talking trophy….not the piddly 130-140 class deer that most guys shoot. If you wanna kill a 170…..you can’t shoot the 150’s….
                                Most deer leases don’t have that quality to begin with…..and there is just too many hunters to let them grow. All wanna high five over their little piddly azz 130”
                                In a lot of places a 130” mature buck is as good as it gets for most deer I’d say. 160” deer aren’t under every bush lol.

I’d gladly hunt a lease like that so long as my wife and daughter could shoot my culls. Just can’t afford it lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X