Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s fair compensation laying carpet grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to find a highshool kid or two to lay down 3-4 pallets of Floratam in Port O’Connor.

What is a fair cash price per pallet laid down for a HS/college kid looking for extra cash?

Should be able to move the trailer around to not have to wagon or wheel barrow it far, at furthest 40-45 feet from trailer.

Most grass/landscaping crews are charging $120 a pallet

Pallet of grass cost $160

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If $120 is what a crew charges, then I would offer $120 as long as finished product was on somewhat same level

Comment

I say 25.00 a pallet. He's young, needs the exercise, probably not good with money.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

$90 per pallet. If you could hire one and let him build the crew. He could hire as many as he wants. I would definitely provide some type of refreshments.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
          I say 25.00 a pallet. He's young, needs the exercise, probably not good with money.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          Don’t ever try to hire me ! We will have words !

Although since I’ve retired I’m so dang sorry that I ain’t worth minimum wage………

Comment

$100, kids like hearing $100. Don't think of it as how much it's going to cost you, think of it that you might change one of those kid's life forever.

Comment

I would offer them both $100 each for the job.

Comment

$50
                They will make more than that in the experience alone

Comment

I put down a pallet of sod in about 2-3 hours, and that was with me doing some dirt work while unloading. I'm pretty sure any high school kid would jump at the opportunity to make $20/hr. I would offer him an hourly rate rather than a bulk rate. And I would work alongside the kid to make sure he was laying it correct. Alternate joints, watch for flow direction of water so that it doesn't wash out joints, etc...

Kid has ZERO overhead in life. That $20/hr will look pretty darn good in his eyes.

Comment

I recently paid $50 a pallet to my buddies’ two freshman kids . 4 pallets of St Augustine total. $200 to split between them. I had no idea what a crew charged as I had already asked their Dads if they wanted the work before I started that project. They looked at it as a workout replacement for the gym that day.[emoji2]One of those buddies and I watched to make sure they did it right and helped with the machete work for the smaller fit pieces. They knocked it out quick… a few hours tops. Their hourly wage was really nice and my 50 year old buddy and my backs were saved. We had done all the dirt work and leveling the day before. I added $50 to the total because I like the kids and they hunt with us so I was willing to pay them what I though was decently. Plus they did a great job. I wanted to do good by them them and not try to be a penny pinching el cheapo trying to get off as cheap as I could. $125 each (would have been happy with the $100 each at that age). They were happy and I was happy. It worked out well for us both.
                    Last edited by Smart; 05-25-2022, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Offer each $100 for the job.

Comment

I'm on the thinking of $100 each for 2 kids. Probably a couple hours of hard work.

I like the flat rate pay better than hourly since they can learn that harder, faster work pays better.

Comment

Going rate for one day labor around here is 150+ lunch.

I like $100 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just laid 6 pallets with me, my 25 yr old son (free labor but he lives rent free ) and another guy (grown man) that I paid $150 for helping. It took us 4 hrs or so. I felt that was fair to include his 20 min travel time etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              I recently paid $50 a pallet to my buddies’ two freshman kids . 4 pallets of St Augustine total. $200 to split between them. I had no idea what a crew charged as I had already asked their Dads if they wanted the work before I started that project. They looked at it as a workout replacement for the gym that day.[emoji2]One of those buddies and I watched to make sure they did it right and helped with the machete work for the smaller fit pieces. They knocked it out quick… a few hours tops. Their hourly wage was really nice and my 50 year old buddy and my backs were saved. We had done all the dirt work and leveling the day before. I added $50 to the total because I like the kids and they hunt with us so I was willing to pay them what I though was decently. Plus they did a great job. I wanted to do good by them them and not try to be a penny pinching el cheapo trying to get off as cheap as I could. $125 each (would have been happy with the $100 each at that age). They were happy and I was happy. It worked out well for us both.
                              This

Comment

Working...
                              X