No announcement yet.

Restoring old pickup advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally get restoring a vintage vehicle. I would love to do it; however, In todays world I’d be more inclined to shop and buy the vehicle instead of paying inflationary prices on vintage parts. Unless your daddy war bucks disposable income can soon be a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      Dont forget to add you might get 7mpg like me
      When we got done, my '74 K10 got 6mpg. I was single so it didn't really matter.

Comment

Lets see the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
          What kind of truck?
          nothing special just a 78 Ford F150 4x4 short bed

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
            lets see the truck.
            [ATTACH]1089839[/ATTACH]

Comment

$10k paint/body
              $5k interior
              $5-$10k motor/trans

$2-3k Tires/wheels (if bad)
              $2k suspension
              $2k-$5k “miscellaneous”

Obviously, folks can spend WAY more than that, but it’s easy to see why a restored truck (with WELL DONE paint/body and a new or DOCUMENTED rebuilt engine/trans, isn’t cheap.

I know folks on here are saying “engine first”, but if it turns out the body/frame has SERIOUS issues, you will have dropped big coin on a driveline for a truck that may or may not be worth doing a serious resto on.

Have the body looked at FIRST. If it’s more “ranch truck” material, than “resto truck” material, you might save serious $$ by finding a better/more solid “starting point”.

Comment

If you are planning to keep it, get it running well and find some FB groups that focus on 70's model Fords. Wealth of info in these groups and they are quick to help usually. Look around in your area for other people that enjoy doing what you enjoy and also go to local car shows and swap meets for needed parts. YouTube is your friend with project vehicles. Good luck, that is a good classic truck these days. Not a squarebody, but still okay

Comment

Make sure you Love it.
                  Because it will never be cheaper than it is setting on that trailer.

Once that is decided make a plan.
                  What do you want it to be. How much are you willing to spend. What can you do yourself and what you have to outsource.
                  Finally, what is your timeline.

Then work your plan, and try to remember to enjoy the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                    $10k paint/body
                    $5k interior
                    $5-$10k motor/trans

$2-3k Tires/wheels (if bad)
                    $2k suspension
                    $2k-$5k “miscellaneous”

Obviously, folks can spend WAY more than that, but it’s easy to see why a restored truck (with WELL DONE paint/body and a new or DOCUMENTED rebuilt engine/trans, isn’t cheap.

I know folks on here are saying “engine first”, but if it turns out the body/frame has SERIOUS issues, you will have dropped big coin on a driveline for a truck that may or may not be worth doing a serious resto on.

Have the body looked at FIRST. If it’s more “ranch truck” material, than “resto truck” material, you might save serious $$ by finding a better/more solid “starting point”.
                    $35,000 for a well done restored truck would beat any new truck prices today. :-)
                    Last edited by scott1022; 05-17-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I was watching Jay Leno's Garage a while back and he was with Bill Goldberg. Bill was showing him an original 50's model straight 6 pickup that his wife's father had when she was a little girl. They did a complete frame up original restore on. Bill said that they spent over $50K and Jay made the joke that now it would sell for $12,500.... Bill laughed and agreed.

Point being, if the budget is an issue that will always be hanging over your head, find one already restored and bite the bullet on the price and begin enjoying it the first weekend you own it. If money isn't that big of an issue and you want the experience, then dive right in. I bet you will be well over $40K all-in if done right and perfect on every step.

Comment

That is a nice truck. Probably has the 390 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                          That is a nice truck. Probably has the 390 in it.
                          351M
                          4 speed manual

Comment

man get it running fix what needs fixing brakes clutch and go have fun. nobody’s to worried about body work and paint now lol mainly cuz it’s too dang expensive!
                            go to the shows go mudding and have fun you can always go deeper into the build if you really get hooked on the truck.
                            by the way those truck are steadily going up in value the 70’s truck are hot right now
                            if i were you id get a 460 to replace the 351M not fords most popular engines the trans should bolt up to the 460 and it’ll get it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                              351M
                              4 speed manual
                              If for some reason you need them, I have a stock two barrel air cleaner and a set of exhaust manifolds for a '77 351M.

Comment

Working...
                              X