Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
peterp63
Ten Point

Default Spartan GoCam or Browning Defender

I'm seeing great reviews on both of these cell cams. I currently run a ton of the Browning Strikeforce trail cams and love them which is why I am leaning towards Browning, but I've heard that Spartan are the best. For those with experience with either or both, which do you recommend??

I also just saw that Spartan's latest model has live streaming... I wonder how much data that uses!? Anyone get one and test it yet?
peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

I bought the Gocam live and man it’s sweet, and took 10 min to setup. Live function uses a good bit of data but not to bad, I got the 15 bucks a month plan so I shouldn’t come close to going over.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
I bought the Gocam live and man it’s sweet, and took 10 min to setup. Live function uses a good bit of data but not to bad, I got the 15 bucks a month plan so I shouldn’t come close to going over.
Awesome. Did you sign up through Spartan or Verizon? On the Spartan website it says $15.99/mo for 500 MB. No issues getting close to that 500 MB limit?
Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #4
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Awesome. Did you sign up through Spartan or Verizon? On the Spartan website it says $15.99/mo for 500 MB. No issues getting close to that 500 MB limit?
I run 5 Spartans. 4 Ghost and 1 GoLive. I love them. I activated them through my Verizon account rather than through Spartan. I add a line for each cam for $5/mo unlimited data. You do have to pay around $4/mo per cam for the Spartan portal if you don’t buy the plan through Spartan, but I’m still right at $10/mo for unlimited.

I don’t have any experience with the Browning cell cam, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Spartan. Highly recommend them.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
helical
Eight Point

Hunt In: North and West Texas

What does the “live” version do, can you call up live video on demand?
helical is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
I signed up on the Spartan Website and I went back and checked I did the 1gb data for 3 months at 35.00 bucks
Old 02-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by helical View Post
What does the “live” version do, can you call up live video on demand?
Yes live feed
Old 02-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I run 5 Spartans. 4 Ghost and 1 GoLive. I love them. I activated them through my Verizon account rather than through Spartan. I add a line for each cam for $5/mo unlimited data. You do have to pay around $4/mo per cam for the Spartan portal if you don’t buy the plan through Spartan, but I’m still right at $10/mo for unlimited.

I don’t have any experience with the Browning cell cam, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Spartan. Highly recommend them.

This sounds like a great deal since we have a few Verizon phones already. So, you just buy the cameras and you can activate them on your own by logging into your verizon account and punching in the SIM card info? If so, I might be sold on these!

Last question, is the GoLive worth the extra $$?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

The Live cam is pretty sweet. Live video & audio starts about 15-20 seconds after you click the “Live” button. It runs about 6-8 seconds behind actual for buffering purposes. At any time during the live stream you can click a button to take/save a picture to your phone gallery or you can click record to start recording the live stream. Click record again and the video auto saves to your phone gallery. Also because the camera is live you can click take photo now and it will take a real time photo without starting the Live stream. Any command or request you send to the camera will begin to execute within about a minute. Anyone who you “share” the camera with and give Admin privileges can also start the Live Stream, so share wisely. Lol

For folks who have used spartan cameras in the past and have used the photo + video feature where the camera takes a photo & then a video, and been frustrated with the lag between the picture and the video starting, the Live camera “fixes” that. In photo + video the video recording starts immediately and after it is saved to camera, the first frame of the video becomes the photo sent to your app. And just like with past cameras, if you like what you see and want the video, request it. With the live camera you should get the video within 2-5 minutes.

Another change with the Live cam is video length choices, 5-30 seconds with options in 5 second increments.

A significant change in photo only mode. If you put the camera in photo only and “0” delay, the camera will take and send pictures at the same time, up to 30 per minute with constant motion. Not something you’d want to use on a feeder probably but on a scrape/rub or trail it’s nice. You can still pull up live stream in photo only mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Roscoe; 02-11-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #10
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
The Live cam is pretty sweet. Live video & audio starts about 15-20 seconds after you click the “Live” button. It runs about 6-8 seconds behind actual for buffering purposes. At any time during the live stream you can click a button to take/save a picture to your phone gallery or you can click record to start recording the live stream. Click record again and the video auto saves to your phone gallery. Also because the camera is live you can click take photo now and it will take a real time photo without starting the Live stream. Any command or request you send to the camera will begin to execute within about a minute. Anyone who you “share” the camera with and give Admin privileges can also start the Live Stream, so share wisely. Lol

For folks who have used spartan cameras in the past and have used the photo + video feature where the camera takes a photo & then a video, and been frustrated with the lag between the picture and the video starting, the Live camera “fixes” that. In photo + video the video recording starts immediately and after it is saved to camera, the first frame of the video becomes the photo sent to your app. And just like with past cameras, if you like what you see and want the video, request it. With the live camera you should get the video within 2-5 minutes.

Another change with the Live cam is video length choices, 5-30 seconds with options in 5 second increments.

A significant change in photo only mode. If you put the camera in photo only and “0” delay, the camera will take and send pictures at the same time, up to 30 per minute with constant motion. Not something you’d want to use on a feeder probably but on a scrape/rub or trail it’s nice. You can still pull up live stream in photo only mode.

Great info sir! Sounds like they’re improving on a proven product. More points for the Spartan cams!
Old 02-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Great info sir! Sounds like they’re improving on a proven product. More points for the Spartan cams!
Yep, I’ve been on the development team since the beginning. Spartan is trying their best to stay on the forefront of the cellular camera market.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #12
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Yep, I’ve been on the development team since the beginning. Spartan is trying their best to stay on the forefront of the cellular camera market.

Oh wow. Good to know we have a resident expert on the green screen. I think I’ll start with one and play with it before getting another for my second spot. Thanks again for answering our questions.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:03 PM   #13
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh wow. Good to know we have a resident expert on the green screen. I think I’ll start with one and play with it before getting another for my second spot. Thanks again for answering our questions.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #14
Wits_End
Ten Point

I have several spartan gocams, older models. During the summer i get constant pictures of nothing. Other times I can drive up, fill feeder and leave and sometimes it doesn't even take a picture. It is consistent across all of them. I always said i would never buy another spartan.

App is fine, ease of setup and everything else is good. Customer service has been great for replacement of failed cams, except for providing a solution to summer picture problems.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #15
peterp63
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
I have several spartan gocams, older models. During the summer i get constant pictures of nothing. Other times I can drive up, fill feeder and leave and sometimes it doesn't even take a picture. It is consistent across all of them. I always said i would never buy another spartan.

App is fine, ease of setup and everything else is good. Customer service has been great for replacement of failed cams, except for providing a solution to summer picture problems.

Interesting. That’s good info. I wonder if they’ve improved since your “older models”. Sounds like they are on the cutting edge... might wait to see if the GoLive has any technical issues. Right now they’re showing to be on pre-order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #16
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

I’ve got the ATR 4G and also Ghost cam. I haven’t had any issues with either and I ran them year round

hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
This sounds like a great deal since we have a few Verizon phones already. So, you just buy the cameras and you can activate them on your own by logging into your verizon account and punching in the SIM card info? If so, I might be sold on these!

Last question, is the GoLive worth the extra $$?
It really depends what you want out of it. I personally will probably not spend the extra on anymore GoLive cams. There are some benefits over the Ghost, but not really enough to justify the added cost for MY uses. I will say, everyone should have at least one GoLive. I have mirrored my phone to the big screen in the living room lots of times and watched the live feed from the cam on the big screen. Is it necessary? No. Is it fun and entertaining? Yes
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I love my Spartan LTE's. I don't have a need for a Spartan LIVE.

With that being said, Trailcampro has the Brownining highly rated so they are very intriguing. But I will not switch as have 10 Spartans
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #19
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Interesting. That’s good info. I wonder if they’ve improved since your “older models”. Sounds like they are on the cutting edge... might wait to see if the GoLive has any technical issues. Right now they’re showing to be on pre-order.

In summer I turn my cameras off at 11:00 am and back on around 5:00 pm so I won’t waste data, nothing going to feeders during middle of day anyhow. Extreme heat makes them sensitive. Easy to do on the app.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #20
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
In summer I turn my cameras off at 11:00 am and back on around 5:00 pm so I won’t waste data, nothing going to feeders during middle of day anyhow. Extreme heat makes them sensitive. Easy to do on the app.
For me it’s really location sensitive. I had a water trough setup that false triggered like crazy during summer afternoons. I tried several different cameras there and they’d all do it. Put those cameras in other locations and no falsies. Drove me nuts.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #21
Roscoe
Pope & Young

I did forget one cool new feature on the Live cams if you use cameras on food plots or just more open fields. There are 4 start-stop timers now instead of two. So you can turn on time lapse at both dusk and dawn to be able to monitor the whole field at prime time while still being able to have different trigger delays for the rest of day and night time if you want.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #22
BRust
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

tag
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
retrieverman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I’ve been using “Spartan” cellular cameras when they were just HCO, and their cameras have treated me great. I run all my cameras through ATT buy a session and only pay $78 and change for a years service.

I would like to try a Browning cellular at some point, because Strike Force cameras are great.
retrieverman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #24
peterp63
Ten Point

Well, it looks like Browning's Defender line is coming out with a new model for 2021 - the Ridgeline. It's cheaper at only $219.99 and it looks like it have slightly better features than the Defender, but lacks the 2" color viewing screen.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #25
ren087
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Spartans are great. Have 3 Gocams and getting Go live next
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #26
peterp63
Ten Point

Well, I purchased the GoLive. It’s actually been a couple of weeks so hopefully it shows up soon as it was on back order. Since I have a Verizon account already I’ll just pay the activation fee and then $5 per month for virtually unlimited data and then the $3 per month for the Spartan App. Will keep y’all posted.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #27
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well, I purchased the GoLive. It’s actually been a couple of weeks so hopefully it shows up soon as it was on back order. Since I have a Verizon account already I’ll just pay the activation fee and then $5 per month for virtually unlimited data and then the $3 per month for the Spartan App. Will keep y’all posted.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Website says “pre-order ships spring of 2021.” I had an email from sales late last week and in the signature notes it said “GoLive Verizon is sold out. ETA earlier March. Take preorders only. ” Hopefully you get one pretty quick.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #28
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Another vote for Spartan, been running one for a while now with zero issues. Hope I'm not jinxing myself. Soon to add a second.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #29
AbigailzPg
Nubbin' Buck

I took 5 spartans and it took me 45 bucks.
AbigailzPg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top