So as a kid growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So as a kid growing

There was a guy down by where dad worked that kept a bag of something on the handles bars of his 3-Wheeler.
    Don't remember exactly what it was.

I never knew why until 1 day the guys son, a friend of mine, asked me if I wanted to ride it. I'd been watching him ride and it sho nuff looked fun. I said YES PLEASE. The bag was missing and I didn't think anything of it. I Straddled that machine, hit the thumb throttle and ZOOM front wheel pops up in the air. I grab on for dear life and Boom, rear-ended his Dad's pickup. Landed on my butt in the dirt, machine is rolling over on me, I'm panicking and still have the throttle wide open. Tire catches traction on something, mahine spins, bounces and takes off on its side. About that time the handle bars are wrenched out of my hand and the motor comes back to Idle. His Dad come running up, rights the 3-wheeler, checks on his truck, hauls me up off the ground and tells me I need to be heading on home. I said yes sir and walked home @ 4 or 5 blocks. I walk in the door and Mom's on the phone. She says "OH Don't worry. I'll take care of it!" She turns and looks at me, walks to Spoon Drawer and grabs her "Good" wooden spoon. I survived to live another. The "Good" wooden spoon didn't, neither did the next 2.

I can proudly say that to this day, 40+, years later I've never ridden another 3-wheeler.

The bag on the front end kept it on the ground.

Back in the 80's I was on a lease with a guy who had a Honda 3 wheeler. He would putt-putt around very slowly on that thing. As I got to know him I found out he was a personal injury attorney who had made a ton of money representing clients who had been injured or died on - you guessed it - 3 wheelers!

Comment

I grew up on those things going as fast as I could make them go. I had some pretty good wrecks but never got hurt, luckily.

Comment

I miss my ol 3wheeler! No bad wrecks either. Like driving anything tho...need to learn it first.

Comment

1987 in Brookshire Texas at my grandmas house during the summer. My sister had a Honda Big Red and I had a Honda XR80 My motorcycle needed an oil change and I was not allowed to ride it. Well I decided to push start my sisters 3 wheeler with a neighbor kid we were 12 or 13 years old. I ran out of gas far from my grandmas and we had the bright idea to pull it home. He had a four wheeler and we tied off to the back of his and one fork on the left side of 3 wheeler. Everything was going good until we moved form one side of road to the other. All I remember was flipping for a while and when we’re done my wrist was in bad shape with road rash all over. I got beat by my grandma, mom and my sister. Last time I rode a 3 wheeler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i had a three wheeler in the mid 80s-- going fishing one day (on my suzuki 125) down around palacious, tx i turned in front of someone and got rear ended
            by a truck going about 55-60 mph. launched me about 40-50 ft out into a rice field that was flooded at the time.. the guy driving the truck waded out to me and i still had my fishing pole clutched in my hand. just glad that flooded rice field was there.

Comment

I put about a million miles on my honda 200 3 wheeler. Loved that thing.

Comment

My Dad had a big red 350. Road the heck out of that thing

Comment

I still have an ATC70.... Fine unit

Comment

I have flipped one of those forward and backwards. Rubbed some dirt on the road rash and jumped back on.

Comment

Best friend growing up had one. Only way to get it started was to push it down a hill and pop the clutch. We had 3 of us on it one day riding to his back pasture to go fishing and somehow the thumb accelerator got stuck and we ran right into a barb wire fence. I don't know how we didn't come out of that one with more injuries than we had. Just scrapes and bruises.

Comment

I’m glad I could never afford one, I’d probably be dead meat.

Comment

I had a Big Red and was sure glad when I traded for a 4wheeler

Comment

Man I was at the motor cycle shop the other day and they have electric go carts now that look like a little Indy car! They look like fun!

Comment

Lol. Iv got a 82 model 250r. My mom and dad came over one day and my dad wanted to take it for a spin. I told him she's pretty sketchy when you nail into it and he had better lean forward. My dad's been riding stuff since he was a kid. He takes off and makes a slow lap around the house and came back by the carport where we were all sitting. He jumped a small dirt hill I have for my son to ramp and then nail into the ol girl. The front pops up and his eyes get as big as baby moon hub caps. He gets control on it and parks it at the shop. My dad is 70 and I'll remember the look on his face the rest on my life. Lmao. I love the old 3 wheelers. My bro in law has a 84 250r and a 85 Yamaha tri z. His will run circles around mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X