Healthy Amount of Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Healthy Amount of Ammo

Apart from the answer "however many boxes you can afford or find", whats kind of an average amount of ammo (number of boxes) to have on stock for hunting, taking into account you shoot 7-10 animals a year?

100rds is a fair number imo, gives you a decent stock on hand if you do want to go shoot with it outside of hunting. Also helps you out if you’re in a situation like now where availability is non existent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I reload. I make sure that I start the season off with about 25 rounds. Last year, we had more hogs to shoot, so I ended up loading 25 more. I do like to have about 4-5 pounds of powder for each gun I reload for and I never pass up a box a boolits when I find them in stock. I also like to have a brick or two of primers on hand.

Comment

I have no idea the right answer here. I keep ammo for hunting, I'm not the stockpile as much as I can guy. I typically like to have at least 5 boxes for everything I have with the exception of shotgun where I typically have a case of each.

Comment

How often do you miss?

Comment

plan on shortages that last 2-3 years. At minimum, 3 years worth using the average you shoot yearly. Some guys that may just be 1 box. Some guys that may be 10 cases.

Comment

more is better

Comment

Practice/sight in & hunt might total 1/2 box for deer per year for me.
                For pigs, different story. Dozens of rounds?

I personally will never be the guy that is looking for shells the week before he goes on a hunting trip. So I bought several boxes for each caliber I own while they were available. I replaced the boxes as I used them. Now it costs 3 times the amount to replace.

YMMV

Big Pig

Comment

Comment

Personally (I’m a self admitted hoarder) I wouldn’t want less than 200. That’s a box a year for 10 years. I consider that the absolutel minimum considering I’d want to zero and “practice” a few rounds a year besides my few kill shots.

BTW I’ve got far more than 200 per. I was just using that as the absolute minimum.

Comment

10,000 rounds 'cause zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        I have no idea the right answer here. I keep ammo for hunting, I'm not the stockpile as much as I can guy. I typically like to have at least 5 boxes for everything I have with the exception of shotgun where I typically have a case of each.
                        This is me too.I do have a fair amount of 22 mag rounds prob about 1000 just kinda casual picked them up over the years.

Comment

You can never have to much ammo.

Comment

used to if i had a couple boxes on hand i was happy now i feel better if i have 4-5 i basically only have one rifle i hunt with

Comment

I keep a minimum of 100rds loaded (generally 200) for each centerfire hunting rifle and generally more components to build additional rounds as needed.

Rifles that I shoot a lot (6.5cm, 308, .223) I store considerably more ammo and components for.

Comment

Working...
                              X