White Sands Oryx - New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Sands Oryx - New Mexico

So we were lucky enough to draw a Stallion Range Oryx tag coming up next weekend. Putting our final pack list together and getting excited. Will be going with my 12 year old and my father in law so we are going to have a fun tome regardless.

Curious if anyone on here has any experience with this hunt. Looking for any tips or advice on the hunt that we might haven’t thought about. Hard to do much scouting or planning on restricted areas like this place

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drew this same location back in 2011. I had a great hunt but the numbers were a bit down at the time and I ended up shooting a very nice and unique cow on the last hour of the last day that I had passed on the first day. These were only 2 day hunts back then.

I covered a ton of ground and actually had expert help from a fellow who had worked for 28 years on the range, yet we struggled to get into the oryx. I think we only saw about a half dozen total animals during the hunt. I had dreamed of getting into a nice sized herd, as this was my first time to hunt an exotic animal and I was pretty stoked about the opportunity. Little did I know at the time that I would transfer to work in Africa the following year and go on to kill several gemsbok as well as over 100 African animals in multiple countries.

Anyway, I recommend that you gain all the information about this particular hunt that you can. Be ready to shoot quickly and efficiently from a variety of positions, especially from a standing position using shooting sticks. Utilize a bog pod, etc. or make your own sticks. Be prepared to get out and hike some of the rougher terrain to find secluded places where the oryx may be. Prepare for longish shots. Fine tune your accuracy and shoot them straight through the actual shoulder, not behind it with a heavy for caliber premium & well constructed bullet.

Above all, pay very special attention to the details of the regulations set forth by the government agency that manages this hunt. One small & simple mistake on your part can quickly disqualify you as a participant.

Plan well and have fun with this! Should you desire help from a outfitter or guide pm me and I will put you in touch with the right folks.

Jeff

Comment

Tagged!

No advice but looking forward to LDPs, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Glass, glass, glass, and plan to ride a lot. It’s a glorified road hunt for the most part. Don’t shoot the first one you see. If you’re stalking a herd and you see one pop their tail, they’re about to boogy.

Eat some green chile pork enchiladas at Andele’s / The Dog House restaurant in Cruces.

Comment

And definitely shoot them straight up the leg, but not too high. They are tough critters.

Comment

Appreciate all the input so far. We will be taking a side by side to hunt out of. They have been very informative on all the rules and regulations and I’m trying to make sure we stay on the up and up. I was really worried it would get cancelled for Covid but it’s still happening.

Is it worth it to haul the Polaris down there. My father in law has a Polaris or a 4 wheeler and from what I’ve read the side by side is more usable to get around in.

Comment

You're going to have to cover A LOT of area and the roads can get a bit sketchy (a lot sketchy some places). Personally I wouldn't take a sxs but it could help in some situations I guess but vast majority would be in your pick up if its 4x4. Whatever you use make sure you have good tires and at least 2 spares. 10 ply would be the best.

Comment

Good luck...in for this.

Comment

I’ve never been on Stallion, but everyone I know that has hunted any of WSMR has done just fine in a pickup. I hunted the Small Missile Range and I’ve hunted off range a fair amount and all but just a couple of places off range, a pickup is perfectly serviceable.

Comment

Thanks, looks like we will just leave all the extras at home and use the truck to get around.

Comment

Almost to San Antonio, NM. Getting excited about the hunt. They moved the hunt to Saturday-Monday so we will have a full 3 days to hunt, but hopefully it won’t take that long. Hard to know what to expect but should be a fun time

Comment

Good luck

Comment

all great advice in the first post.
                          I'd add to that spend a lot of time on the glass and be cognizant when opening up new lines of sight to explore them carefully from cover. They have amazing eyesight and sure don't like to be around people, so if you are hiking around and not being particularly careful, you could push them off before you even see them pretty easily.

Comment

Good luck, on my bucket list.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well we made through orientation, seems like it will be a crazy start in the morning but seems like a big enough area we can get away from a few hunters. Different kind of hunt than what I’m use to but should still be a blast

Comment

Working...
                              X