X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiming systems

What do you shoot?
    1. Three under or split?
    2. Aiming system and which one? (Fixed crawl, gap etc)
    3. Has this changed for you over the years and if so why and how long to master the change?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I shoot 3 under. It seems to work best for me, partly because it allows me to use cock fletch to tip of nose as second anchor. I draw with three then drop my ring finger off the string at anchor and release with two. After consistantly getting my butt kicked on the 3D range by pure gap shooters I have often thought I should learn it but I have never committed the time necessary. For lack of a better term I would say I shoot instinctive but I’m sure there is some unconscious gapping going on. The only problem with this aiming method is it takes longer for your accuracy to come back after a lay off from shooting.

Comment

Thanx jerp. I've been analyzing my shot style this year and realized that I "see" more in my shot picture than just my spot I'm shooting at. That said, after season, I may have to adjust. However learning what and how, like how to determine arrow length needed to gap, is outside of my knowledge base.

Comment

Interesting timing, Gary. A week ago, I would have said Instinctive, which I have used for several years -- with modifications from split finger with a glove, then three-under with a glove, then three-under with a tab (moving anchor back and up).

Now, I'm experimenting with a fixed crawl. We shall see. If it doesn't come right along, I may put it off til after the season.

Comment

I shoot split finger, and what is called instinctive. I have a very unconventionally low anchor point, but it works for me.

I have tried to learn to gap before, but it just didn’t work for me.

I would love to learn how to shoot a fixed crawl, but to do so, I would have to rework my whole shot, and I think I’m just too old and stubborn to want to go thru that!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bisch, not sure about to old , but too stubborn.,,..

Besides, you don’t need to change a thing about your shot

I shoot a fixed crawl, with a bit of face walking thrown in. I have an alternating anchor depending on the distance. For hunting I can’t see the need to ever change. I know it’s discouraged in some 3-D shoots, perhaps because it’s so effective?
            Hmmm

Comment

I'm pretty sure I shoot gap stinctive. My high anchor point puts the arrow nock just off to the side and under my eyes veiw.
              I'm not sure how to adjust it lower and inward due to my neck rotation issues and big azz nose. But now that I've learned enough about my shot sequence, enough input from guys like Rick Barbee and a couple of others helped me be more aware of that, I want to be as deadly as I can be consistently.

Comment

I shoot split finger. I've always shot instinctive. It has always worked for me and I don't see any reason to change.

Comment

Phillip how far does your instinctive shot allow you to be deadly accurate? Mine is fairly close. Like 20 and under close.

Comment

Gary, I try to keep my shots to 20 yds and under. Back when I was shooting a lot of 3d I was comfortable to about 30 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by TexKing View Post
                      Bisch, not sure about to old , but too stubborn.,,..

Besides, you don’t need to change a thing about your shot

I shoot a fixed crawl, with a bit of face walking thrown in. I have an alternating anchor depending on the distance. For hunting I can’t see the need to ever change. I know it’s discouraged in some 3-D shoots, perhaps because it’s so effective?
                      Hmmm
                      Well, it's your moose story that has me working on fixed crawl.

Comment

Well I'd like to shoot under 15. Just after 20 I get pretty inconsistent and it doesn't seem to matter how much I practice 25 or 30.

Comment

I shoot split and I don’t reference the arrow at least not that I know of. I guess you call that instinctive.

Comment

3 under fixed crawl with tab assistance cause I got ‘office worker fingers’!
                            My main reason for this choice was because I’m only shooting this thing for hunting purposes. I have had fun with the first shot challenges though.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              I'm pretty sure I shoot gap stinctive. My high anchor point puts the arrow nock just off to the side and under my eyes veiw.
                              I'm not sure how to adjust it lower and inward due to my neck rotation issues and big azz nose. But now that I've learned enough about my shot sequence, enough input from guys like Rick Barbee and a couple of others helped me be more aware of that, I want to be as deadly as I can be consistently.

This is the perfect use case for a canted bow Gary. I have a slight cant when I shoot to get the arrow under my eye. I draw with a vertical bow, anchor and align my form, then pivot at the sternum till the arrow is in a straight line to the target.

As for my shooting, I am 3 under, and a gap shooter. But I gap at the riser, because I can't get arrows long enough to have a point on closer than 35-40 yards. I recently (this week) changed my anchor point because I was slapping the tar out of my face with my fingers (and shooting like crap because I was flinching). I am shooting almost as well as, or better than, I ever have now.

Comment

Working...
                              X