No announcement yet.

Prostate Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad did the proton therapy at MD Anderson and had nothing but great things to say about it. He took my camper and lived down there during treatments.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      My dad did the proton therapy at MD Anderson and had nothing but great things to say about it. He took my camper and lived down there during treatments.
      Thanks! Great to hear and hope he is doing well. Do you know his insurance company during the treatments?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
        I was 68 when my family physician ordered my annual PSA. It came back over 4. He sent me to a urologist who put me on antibiotics and it went down to 2. The next year it came back 4 again and the urologist wanted to start me on antibiotics again. My MD suggested I get a second opinion, which I did. The new urologist ordered a biopsy. It came back cancerous. I was given the option to have my prostate surgically removed, do nothing, or have radiation treatments. He said if I opted for radiation. I could not have surgery to remove the cancerous prostate, but if I had the robotic surgery and the cancer came back later in the prostate bed, I could then have radiation treatment. I opted for the robotic surgery and have had PSA tests every six months and have had O readings ever since. Get a second opinion and a biopsy. Don’t mess around. Many urologist aren’t qualified to do robotic surgery and won’t suggest it. Get the surgery. Once my biopsy came back positive for cancer they paid for the surgery.
        It
        My dad had his removed in 2013 with the robotic surgery he was 69 ...been cancer free since gets tested every 6 months I am 47 and have had PSA test since 2013 due to family history. Yes most doctors say you live long enough it will happen and catching early is key.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
          Thanks! Great to hear and hope he is doing well. Do you know his insurance company during the treatments?
          He is/was on Medicare with a supplement. He is doing great. He is 82 now, and that was 10+ years ago.

Comment

Ouch, I hate to read that sir. When I was seriously ill 3 years ago with an autoimmune issue and Blue Cross/Blue Shield stated they had a FAIL FIRST policy and I must use old pharmacological methods first (methelytryate).......we told them geaux to hell. We bought the first dosage of Humira 2 days later for $4,000 from Walgreens after my rheumatologist wrote the RX for me!!! Best move I have made in my personal healthcare in my life, instant results of the severe issues I was experiencing. The data/research/literature said as much also but the insurance company did not care. 30 days later BCBS gave in and started to pay for the BEST in class biotech medication. Sometimes you must advocate for yourself! Per prostate care: I had the ole butt hole check today!!! 3cm in size, PSA was .88ng/ml out of 4, all good for another year. Testosterone was 884 which was great also. Geaux back to Baylor in medical center again tomorrow for my Covid 19 Pfizer shot. As many have stated, it is somewhat of a slow growing cancer but DO NOT tarry on taking action to DESTROY IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Ouch, I hate to read that sir. When I was seriously ill 3 years ago with an autoimmune issue and Blue Cross/Blue Shield stated they had a FAIL FIRST policy and I must use old pharmacological methods first (methelytryate).......we told them geaux to hell. We bought the first dosage of Humira 2 days later for $4,000 from Walgreens after my rheumatologist wrote the RX for me!!! Best move I have made in my personal healthcare in my life, instant results of the severe issues I was experiencing. The data/research/literature said as much also but the insurance company did not care. 30 days later BCBS gave in and started to pay for the BEST in class biotech medication. Sometimes you must advocate for yourself! Per prostate care: I had the ole butt hole check today!!! 3cm in size, PSA was .88ng/ml out of 4, all good for another year. Testosterone was 884 which was great also. Geaux back to Baylor in medical center again tomorrow for my Covid 19 Pfizer shot. As many have stated, it is somewhat of a slow growing cancer but DO NOT tarry on taking action to DESTROY IT!
              Thanks. Happy to hear good results for you. I heard today that they went straight to independent review, appeal 3, and skipped the second appeal level. They told me it is about 50/50 for approval override. After that I'm considering self-paying and suing the insurance company. This is not about the treatment plan; its about the cost. This year I will have Medicare and Medicare approves the treatment so the cynical side of me says they are just delaying. I should know by the end of week and will get dr's. opinion before proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                Thanks. Happy to hear good results for you. I heard today that they went straight to independent review, appeal 3, and skipped the second appeal level. They told me it is about 50/50 for approval override. After that I'm considering self-paying and suing the insurance company. This is not about the treatment plan; its about the cost. This year I will have Medicare and Medicare approves the treatment so the cynical side of me says they are just delaying. I should know by the end of week and will get dr's. opinion before proceeding.
                Sounds like a solid way to look at it. Glad they are going to level 3 right away. Hang in there and LEARN all you can about the different options. My great uncle whom i am named after decided to deaux NOTHING and suffered horribly. His son decided the same, even after seeing his father suffer. Both were stuck on non sense and would not listen to science. Sadly, alot like the covid vaccine hysteria.........follow the proven and LATEST science!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Dammit, Oscar! Too much information! We really didn't need to know the size of your arse hole!

Comment

Prayers up for you. Insurance is a drag many times.

Comment

1riot1ranger, good luck on your mission to beat the big P cancer. It can be done. I know nothing about the proton therapy since that is apparently new since I was diagnosed in 1998. I had radical prostitectomy surgery back then, and was cancer free for 20 years...then, it came back in the fall of 2018! WTH!!! Did radiation and beat it again...I thought, but last October, we found that it had metasticized to my bones! Bad deal!

It is normally a slow growing cancer and can be beaten if caught early. I'll send up a prayer for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        Dammit, Oscar! Too much information! We really didn't need to know the size of your arse hole!
                        Lol.....it is darn tight back there son!!!![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          1riot1ranger, good luck on your mission to beat the big P cancer. It can be done. I know nothing about the proton therapy since that is apparently new since I was diagnosed in 1998. I had radical prostitectomy surgery back then, and was cancer free for 20 years...then, it came back in the fall of 2018! WTH!!! Did radiation and beat it again...I thought, but last October, we found that it had metasticized to my bones! Bad deal!

It is normally a slow growing cancer and can be beaten if caught early. I'll send up a prayer for you!
                          Thanks, Burnadell! prayers for you also that all works out. And you're right, I try not to go into TMI I'll be happy to PM if you want. I'm interested in how you did after the initial surgery

Comment

As one that has been through this, I really hate reading this. You will be in my prayers for the best outcome for you.

I watched mine and used supplements to keep it at bay for almost 4 years before deciding to go ahead and treat it. My urologist didn't like my decision but agreed to help me monitor. She considered mine aggressive but MD Anderson read the Gleason a bit different.

In the end I went to a research oncologist at Memorial Hermann/UT Medical Cancer Center. Unfortunately, Dr. Amato has now passed and from the disease that he fought and researched and treated all his career, a malignant brain tumor. I credit him second after God with saving my life with his treatment methods.

I posted a bit on it. I have been cancer free for several years now and will likely monitor here locally since my treating Dr. isn't with us anymore.

Initial Biopsy

During initial treatment

Follow up radiation

Best of luck to you in your journey.

Comment

Thanks for your updates, Bill M. Got word today that BlueCross won't pay for the proton treatments at MD Anderson. Their denial letter had MDA fired up for a moment cause it said the denial was because the dr didn't explain why it was necessary and didn't include any notes or support for the appeals.

Anyway, back to looking at options, cash pay is one option for only somewhere north of $100k paid up front. Any recommendations for lawyers who sue blue cross?

Comment

God bless

Comment

Working...
                                X