Planting Native Sunflowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting Native Sunflowers

I dont have a drill. What’s my best option to broadcast them? I think they will just fall through my 3 point seeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disk, broadcast, cover, pack.

Prolly be fighting volunteer sunflowers after you disk.

Comment

My seeder has tabs to open or close the openings for various sized seeds. Maybe fashion cardboard or plastic funnel or choke to close the hopper holes a bit.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-09-2022, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Seems like wild sunflowers grow on disturbed soil.
        How about just shredding and fishing and see what happens.
        If you grow some, let them go to seed and stand, then shred to spread the seed.

Comment

I guess that's a good question. Are you planting native (Maximilian, etc.) Or just want "wild" or disturbance, sunflower. Like mentioned above just disk and walla.

Are you doing this for bird season? The added benefit of disturbance disking is you get Ragweed, johnson and othe broadleaf that make big seed heads.

Comment

I've seen them take off on burned ground after wildfires too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes for dove hunting. I’ve already bought the seed from turner seed. I just need to make sure I distribute it evenly and they don’t slide out in one spot. These are the native seeds.

I also thought maybe q road feeder might work better. I could adjust the plate with a small gap.

Comment

Matt, how big of a pasture are you planting? Get one of the handheld broadcasters & do it on foot.

Comment

Yep a small gap is needed road feeder seems like it would be more adjustable than a 3pt spreader. They need some freezes on them and they will pop up in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    Yep a small gap is needed road feeder seems like it would be more adjustable than a 3pt spreader. They need some freezes on them and they will pop up in the spring.

I’m going to freeze them right before I plant them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                      Matt, how big of a pasture are you planting? Get one of the handheld broadcasters & do it on foot.

27 acres total.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                        27 acres total.

Oh d*** that would tire a feller out walking all of that.
                        You should be able to make a spacer for the spinner to reduce the gap, maybe a thick piece of plastic or poly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                          Oh d*** that would tire a feller out walking all of that.
                          You should be able to make a spacer for the spinner to reduce the gap, maybe a thick piece of plastic or poly.

To avoid him overheating, I am hereby offering my wifes services to plant them for him. In return, I will be able to hunt every day of the season!

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

What do you all think if I threw some seeds out manually then went back and dragged a piece of chain link over them behind a UTV?

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                              To avoid him overheating, I am hereby offering my wifes services to plant them for him. In return, I will be able to hunt every day of the season!

It’s your lucky day! I’m running a special today. Equal daily installments of $99.99 a day[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                              X