Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of some advice

Hello all,

Im going to try to make this is as easy and straight forward as possible, while not straying too far off topic.

A little background just as a reference point.

I’m getting back into archery in general working on building confidence and the ability to efficiently bow hunt after about a 4 year break. I have owned 2 bows during my time when I was pretty hard and heavy into it.. but now I’m starting over basically as a beginner and from scratch with equipment as I sold them when I stopped hunting.

I did about a weeks worth of deep diving on this forum as well as watching countless reviews on YouTube, reading pretty much every compound bow review I could find that were posted the last year and half. I didn’t want to buy something dirt cheap but I realized as I was just getting back into the swing of shooting again I probably just needed a reliable budget build to start working on building my foundation again.

I landed on getting a Bear Legit ready to hunt packaged deal.. I have since had it paper tuned.. all the while making sure im shooting the proper spined arrows.. (which I went with the Axis FMJ 5mm 340 spine)

Here is where the advice is needed.

So after having the bow properly tuned and a week and a half of practicing daily I’ve seemed to hit my first issue with the bow. Currently while drawing back it’s like the strings are almost getting caught on something. At least that’s what it feels like. Almost like it’s wanting to stop drawing back completely. I noticed it and pulled it to full draw but something is for sure not right. I didn’t shoot after I noticed this, and will take it back to the bow shop Monday to see what the issue is. (I’m not sure if anyone possibly has seen this before on a compound before or not? If so what would cause this?)

All that to ask this. In some of you more experienced bow hunters. Is it worth spending a bit more on a bow to ensure consistency and reliability? I know as a beginner and a newer bow hunter in general going out and dropping $1500+ on a bow might not be the smartest move… since at the end of the day it’s form and practice that’s going to translate to actual hunting.. I understand that.. I just hope this bow isn’t wrecked already within like 150 shots.. and now I can’t help to feel like I maybe should have paid a bit more for at least something that’s tried and true and not purely a budget bow. Does anyone know of any brands/bows or could point me in the direction of where to look for something that may be a sound investment and could last a while?

Apologies for the novel but I wanted to get all the details out there. Maybe someone has been down this road as well.. hopefully this isn’t major issue. Worst case this bow can serve as a backup.. I just hope I don’t have to pay what the bow was worth to fix it.

Thank you for the time spent reading.. and any advice is appreciated.

Before I made any rash decision I would get it checked out and address the problem. I highly doubt its anything catastrophic. After you get it fixed just shoot shoot and shoot some more. Spending $1500 on a rig will not instantly make you Fred Bear, nor will it kill deer any deader then what you have. But you already know that. So have fun and go kill something after you get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Before I made any rash decision I would get it checked out and address the problem. I highly doubt its anything catastrophic. After you get it fixed just shoot shoot and shoot some more. Spending $1500 on a rig will not instantly make you Fred Bear, nor will it kill deer any deader then what you have. But you already know that. So have fun and go kill something after you get it fixed.

That’s sound advice.. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In need of some advice

No problem. This sport is expensive enough, no need to make it more expensive then it has to be. But when you do decide to upgrade, buy used.

Comment

In need of some advice

Sometimes loose mods, draw stops…..anything that’s a threaded mechanical connection can back out and impede the draw cycle. A reputable shop should be able to find the gremlin pretty quickly if it’s mechanical in nature. Find out what the issue is and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of good advice above. I'll re-iterate paying more for a bow doesn't necessarily make it more reliable. Sounds like a something is rubbing, could be a blown cam bearing or something hung up with the cable slide. Also as said above, a good shop will find out pretty quick.

Comment

Working...
            X