What handheld release for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What handheld release for hunting?

After a long break from bowhunting I have started shooting again. I've primarily always shot a index finger release, but have been playing with an old handheld I have and I think i'd like to make the change. I've been dealing with a bit of target panic and the thumb button seems to really help. So what handheld release do you guys recommend for hunting? The one I have is a four finger and I'd also like to know if you guys prefer a 2, 3, or 4 finger and why? Thanks!

Target panic can happen on a thumb release just as easy as on an index finger release. Fixing the issue of target panic would be the first thing I would do.

There are a million different releases out there and it all comes down to preference and what feels good in your hand. I prefer a 3 finger, as a 4 is just too big/bulky, and a 2 is too small to get a good anchor. This isn't to say a 3 finger is the best, its just what feels good to me personally. I like Carter a alot, stan, scott, and nockon are good as well. I am not a fan of releases with calipers.

Comment

I have been please with the Chocolate Addiction three finger for many years now. I like the fact that it has a locking jaw and I can hook up and forget about it until it’s go time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I was gonna shoot a thumb release, I'd take a hard look at the Stan Perfex. We used to sell a boatload of em. They're super adjustable and can be set to have zero travel like a precision rifle trigger.

That said, I moved away from a thumb release because of my own propensity for losing them. I'm shooting a Like Mike 2 index release, but I shoot it back tension style. The nice part is you can set them fairly heavy to help with target panic.

I had a Spott Hogg wiseguy prior to these which was incredibly light. The trigger was crisp but I felt like if I breathed on it it would go off. With a thumb release and a whole lot of blank bailing, it went away for a while but came back.

The Like Mike 2 has been the best compromise for me, but if I shoot my recurve for too long I find that when I switch back to compound, the target panic is back. Probably because I use a clicker on the recurve but thats another story.

Ever thought about getting coaching? Just something to consider before you spend hundreds of dollars on gear, like I did.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            If I was gonna shoot a thumb release, I'd take a hard look at the Stan Perfex. We used to sell a boatload of em. They're super adjustable and can be set to have zero travel like a precision rifle trigger.

That said, I moved away from a thumb release because of my own propensity for losing them. I'm shooting a Like Mike 2 index release, but I shoot it back tension style. The nice part is you can set them fairly heavy to help with target panic.

I had a Spott Hogg wiseguy prior to these which was incredibly light. The trigger was crisp but I felt like if I breathed on it it would go off. With a thumb release and a whole lot of blank bailing, it went away for a while but came back.

The Like Mike 2 has been the best compromise for me, but if I shoot my recurve for too long I find that when I switch back to compound, the target panic is back. Probably because I use a clicker on the recurve but thats another story.

Ever thought about getting coaching? Just something to consider before you spend hundreds of dollars on gear, like I did.
            I'll check out the like Mike and thanks for the suggestions. I feel like my TP is related more to not being into shooting shape like I used to be if that makes sense. I feel weak and an urgency to shoot and I also have a hard time getting the pin up on the spot. I can hold rock solid 3-4 inches below where I want to shoot. It's weird I know. I've shot a fair amount more in the last couple weeks and my hold and shot sequence have been much better. I have considered getting a coach in the past to be the best I could be, but logistics and time are a real problem for me at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Yeah, make no mistake about it the choices can be overwhelming. I was talking to Rick at West Houston when I decided to switch. Dude reached behind the counter pulled out about a dozen different Carters and we went over to short target. Now make no mistake about it picking some of them up and drawing a bow is enough to make you sure certain models aren’t for you. Release fitment in the hand and how you hold at full draw will automatically disqualify some quickly. But shoot then all then cull the field, repeat….repeat. Eventually you will get down to a couple that feel good and you can start to really dial in on what your preference is. Things will change, I shoot a three finger but no longer hook up with my pinky I just let it fall off the release. If I had it to do all over again I’d shoot a two but I’m probably done switching release aids. They are both set up the way I like them and I shoot them well.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                I feel weak and an urgency to shoot and I also have a hard time getting the pin up on the spot. I can hold rock solid 3-4 inches below where I want to shoot.
                Levi Morgan has some good Youtube videos where he describes target panic and how to beat it, and he mentions the problem you describe. He says practice just getting your pin on target immediately, not dropping down to it or rising up to it. The video explains it much more in depth but that's the gist. I had the same problem.

Comment

I have to come in from above the target with my pins.

If I get in the habit of coming in from below, I’ll hold below just like you’re struggling with. Then I start to raise back up into the target and wind up doing a “drive by”.

I heard it best in that aiming is a high stress situation mentally. And your brain wants out of it as quickly as possible.

Tom Clum senior has a class online he did along with the guys from PUSH trad that helped me a ton. Your brain can do thousands of things subconsciously at the same time, but can only do one thing at a time consciously (regardless of what my wife claims [emoji2958])

I had to come up with a shot sequence to force my brain to think about something else besides aiming and back tension obviously helps, but at the same time I’ve seen guys that shoot a hinge get to command shooting them.

I heard Levi Morgan mention once that he has 3 of the exact same hinge releases, each one hotter/colder so that he never gets in the habit of knowing when it’s gonna go off. Everyone has target panic in some form, it just manifests differently for each person so you’re not alone!

Comment

^^^This is great info to start with.

My recommendation is Carter Silverback. It is about the best release on the market for fixing target panic, and can be used as a thumb release if you reduce the break weight on it.

There was one for sale in the classifieds for a really good price too if you want to give it a go.

Comment

I've tried just about all of them and I keep coming back to the Carter wise choice.

I really like the way the stays feel ergonomically but I just didn't shoot as well with them due to them being skinny. They are ridiculousy nice though.

I like a good hinge on occasion as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info! I have shortened my wrist release a bit and have been working on shooting it with back tension and it seems to be helping a great deal. I'd still like to play with a thumb and hinge after season just to see if I can continue to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                          I have to come in from above the target with my pins.

If I get in the habit of coming in from below, I’ll hold below just like you’re struggling with. Then I start to raise back up into the target and wind up doing a “drive by”.

I heard it best in that aiming is a high stress situation mentally. And your brain wants out of it as quickly as possible.

Tom Clum senior has a class online he did along with the guys from PUSH trad that helped me a ton. Your brain can do thousands of things subconsciously at the same time, but can only do one thing at a time consciously (regardless of what my wife claims [emoji2958])

I had to come up with a shot sequence to force my brain to think about something else besides aiming and back tension obviously helps, but at the same time I’ve seen guys that shoot a hinge get to command shooting them.

I heard Levi Morgan mention once that he has 3 of the exact same hinge releases, each one hotter/colder so that he never gets in the habit of knowing when it’s gonna go off. Everyone has target panic in some form, it just manifests differently for each person so you’re not alone!
                          I have always come in from the bottom because I felt like it would help ensure a low shot on an animal. My last couple of sessions I tried coming in from the top and it really seems to help. Also I'm trying to get my pin to the spot as quick as possible and that seems to be helping as well. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

I keep a couple of Stan Shootoffs. Good clean releases which create a nice V for anchor. I have large hands and this is the only release I feel fits them. I have a Carter Too Simple that gets close but not quite comfortable in my hands.

Comment

I’ve recently been alternating between the B3 Ghost hinge and Spot Hogg WhiperSnapper thumb button. I like alternating between the two types of releases. Seems to keep me honest. Ideally I’d like to find a release handle that is available in both a button and a hinge so that everything feels the same regardless of which I’m shooting that day. Similar to the UV products but I don’t have the kind of cheddar required to buy one of each. I’m considering the truball GOAT since it can be shot as hinge or button.

Comment

Working...
                              X