What handheld release for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    First let's talk about the target panic.
    Target panic is a mental problem although some symptoms of target panic can be due to bad form. The mechanics of the shot dictate the shot and when the sequence gets off (like a high draw shoulder causing freezing below the bull) this can cause the mental breakdown. MOST of the time a new release will not correct this without a good coach; it may for a short while, but it will creep back if the form or mental aspect isn't corrected.

Second, handheld releases. I have shot (and still do) both Carter and Tru Ball releases. Both models I shoot are out of production, but they build great releases. However, many other companies do as well. It's less about the company and more about how the release fits the shooter.

How many fingers? I like three and two finger releases myself, both of mine are three fingers. I shoot lighter poundage, less than 65 lbs, so I don't need the extra grip and I dislike the extra touching with the pinky. The more surface area on the release the more that can go wrong from my perspective.

Having said all that, I only use a wrist strap for hunting; I use the Like Mike II now but used the Like Mike for years and even tried the new Dudley Back Strap (wasn't for me). This series of release aid uses a double sear like the handheld releases, but it's a wrist strap. Also of not is that all wrist strap releases can be shot with back tension just like a handheld; which is how I shoot them. The main reason I use a wrist strap in the tree is that it needs to be strapped to me or it will end up on the ground.
    Every.
    Time.

Unfortunately most pro shops do not have a bunch of different handhelds to try. The best bet is to try friends and shoot theirs, or buy used, until you find a brand and model you like.
    Appreciate the great info sir!

Comment

wow

Comment

I've used both 3 and 4 finger handhelds and find 3 finger more comfortable for hunting, but it's really personal preference. I would recommend trying the Tru-Fire Hardcore 4 Finger Revolution or the Carter Too Simple for good thumb releases. Don't forget to practice a lot with new release before hunting to get used to it. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X