String Angle and Nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Angle and Nose

I shot a 33 ATA bow to try and improve my string angle and shooting consistency coming off a 27. I do get a good string angle at the corner of my mouth but when I try and touch my nose (short nose) I have to press the string fairly firmly against the corner of my mouth. And then my eye is looking at the riser and not at the string where a peep would be. I would have to hold my right hand an inch away from my face to get it to line up and obviously losing the anchor. I tried anchoring further back and forward to mess with the alignment but was not successful. Tell me what y'all think.

One of the things I like about a longer ATA bow is that I can bring the string to my nose without moving my head to find it. Also, with a different angle its likely to change your anchor. What your draw length?

Comment

Don't try to force something that doesn't work. Just work on consistent anchor at your jawline and the corner of your mouth.

Comment

Do you shoot a hand held release or a fist strap? I would if you had a good pro shop near you let a guy who knows what he’s doing look you over and maybe give you some advice and thoughts on your anchor.I personally switched from the v3 27 to a 33 inch sr350 and the string angle was much more comfortable to me as well as the forgiveness of the bow.

Comment

Sounds like you're letting your peep dictate your anchor point. Draw back, close your eyes and anchor where you're comfortable, and then open your eyes. If your peep isn't lined up, you need to move it where it lines up, and then everything should feel more natural.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
            Sounds like you're letting your peep dictate your anchor point. Draw back, close your eyes and anchor where you're comfortable, and then open your eyes. If your peep isn't lined up, you need to move it where it lines up, and then everything should feel more natural.
            My guess is this. I recently did the exact same thing. I was shooting a shorter ATA bow and it was ok, but didn't fit me well. I ended up going to my bow shop and worked with a bow tech to find a bow that fit better. That ended up being a V3X33. The string angle is significantly better. The bow tech set it up for me and had me draw, anchor, and then adjusted the peep. I'd recommend going to a shop and having them take a look.

Comment

Good advice already. I would either post pictures or go to a shop. It could be a peep thing and/or you have other things going on.

Comment

Im just trying to milk the last ounce of consistency I can, I feel like most of my form is pretty solid. (had a few lessons at BowZone to nail down some of the fundamentals). Anchor is at jaw line next to ear lobe using a wrist strap release.

My issue is independent of the peep. Bc the Phase4 33 I experimented with didnt even have a peep. What I did was anchor, put my nose to the string and open my eye and I was looking at the riser and the string was to the left.

I even played with different anchor points to see if I could get the string to line up where my eye was looking but it was fruitless, either my nose is too short or even with a 33ATA it didnt make much difference.

I also considered a nose button which I think having a tiny bit coming off the string I could get nose contact and another "tactile anchor point".

Comment

You may have the bow torqued at full draw and that is causing you to see the riser instead of the sight side if I'm understanding what your meaning. Every bow has a slightly different grip and while you may not torque one the same grip on another could cause torque.

Comment

Working...
                  X