Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    My son bought some Lonestar Legacy (Camelot Bell lineage) bass from Todd Overton last year just for the purpose of feed training them. You may know my son's full time job is is youtube fishing channel where he works with fish. He's got alot of experience feed training and working with feed trained bass. Its been a struggle for him with these LL Floridas.

Overton's has tried to feed train them as well with very subpar results.

Side note: his LL bass are growing tremendously well....from 4 inch fingerlings to 13" in 9 months time frame.
    very cool

Comment

I'm bummed. This is the first year I've stocked my pond and unless the rains return it's gonna dry out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        I'm bummed. This is the first year I've stocked my pond and unless the rains return it's gonna dry out.
        We just cleaned out the huge willows around my tank and haven’t had a runoff rain in 5 months. I was planning on stocking this spring with baitfish and tilapia.
        Eastern Brown County

BP

Comment

This is what i like to see. Out of this pond which was constructed and stocked in 2016, all relative weights were over 100% with the exception of 2 bass (82% and 88%).

Large fish of the day 20.25"
          5lb 13oz
          relative weight= 119%
          Attached Files

Comment

Great thread. I've enjoyed reading so far but figured time to share our current pond status. Duval County. Sandy Soil.

Just moved into a new place with ~4 acre established pond. If anything, its TOO clean. Only structure is the dock with tons of panfish (IDK which they are) underneath that are accustomed to the fish feeder. Water is pretty clear with little to no vegetation... As far as you can see from the bank, bottom is bare though there is some bottom vegetation in the middle (based on what we reel in).

From shore, you can see thousands of finger sized minnows (unsure of species) and small bass swimming around with the occasional REALLY big one.

Given the goal of simply catching more fish and the limited information provided, where would be a good place to start improvements? Shallow vegetation, structure addition, aeration?

Thanks a ton for the ideas.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-14-2022, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Add structure. I prefer natural structure like cedars, but mossback makes some good artificial structure. Fertilizer would be a great addition to boost plankton growth for fry.

Start keeping records of what you catch, that will go a long way in telling you the current status of the pond.

Comment

I agree - add some structure.

I will say this - I have been on South Texas leases/ranches for years and some of the very best fishing has been on ponds like yours that were clear and with little done to them. I have caught some 10 lb bass out of some of them - ponds were not "managed" or stocked with bait fish, etc.

My guess is it has something to do with the quality of the water versus other parts of the state?

Comment

My place I purchased last April has a small pond about 1/3-1/2acre size. Non spring fed
                  Dug out pretty deep at least I was told. I plan to measure depth once it fills more & warms up more
                  It currently has catfish & crappie. I noticed the crappie are quite small both this year & last year. I’ve researched that it’s best to stock bass & bluegill when adding crappie to a pond. I’m guessing they are over populated. I really don’t want bass in this small of a pond but would it help to add bluegill this spring?
                  What else can I do to control the crappie other than just fish & removal to get them to increase in size. Thanks for any tips

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    My place I purchased last April has a small pond about 1/3-1/2acre size. Non spring fed
                    Dug out pretty deep at least I was told. I plan to measure depth once it fills more & warms up more
                    It currently has catfish & crappie. I noticed the crappie are quite small both this year & last year. I’ve researched that it’s best to stock bass & bluegill when adding crappie to a pond. I’m guessing they are over populated. I really don’t want bass in this small of a pond but would it help to add bluegill this spring?
                    What else can I do to control the crappie other than just fish & removal to get them to increase in size. Thanks for any tips

You are on the right track with only managing for one larger predator. I would keep it a crappie pond and stock various sized bluegill to provide forage as well as brood stock. I would not advise bass as they will heavily compete with crappie.

In that sized pond, you can manage numbers by fishing. We have our own fish farm and are local if you would like any assisstance.

Comment

In Taylor tonight - tornado - family is safe - this was their home and all that is left of it - they hid under their stairway - God was with them
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is our most recent podcast, an overview of springtime fisheries management.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                          Here is our most recent podcast, an overview of springtime fisheries management.

https://modernmanagementpodcast.buzz...86047/10346429
                          Good stuff. I have owned and managed some ponds over the years. Getting professional input like Sippy is invaluable IMO. Otherwise a lot of $$ can be wasted trying to DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            Good stuff. I have owned and managed some ponds over the years. Getting professional input like Sippy is invaluable IMO. Otherwise a lot of $$ can be wasted trying to DIY
                            Thank you for the kind words!

Comment

Enjoyed both podcasts. Do you accept requests for future topics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                                Enjoyed both podcasts. Do you accept requests for future topics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I encourage them! As well as any questions anyone has that we will answer in an episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X