Woodturning thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodturning thread.

Lets start a woodturning thread. Everyone is welcome from never turning with questions to highly experienced. Let's keep things polite, remember we all do things a little different and can learn from each other. Share a little knowledge of how you turned or are turning the items you share, this is a DIY thread of "how to" things. Who knows, you might inspire someone else? I would ask we follow the rules and keep the selling on the classifieds or take care of that through private messages, please don't post asking for prices or "Pm sent". If you are a turner post a little about your experience level and maybe a little about your work shop, but remember to share some DIY knowledge in the post.

I've been turning for about three years now and enjoy turning bowls the most, I can do spindle work but like bowls better. I just recently moved from a 12X24 shop to a 24X30 and I'm still trying tools in different locations and setting up the shop. I have a JET 1642 and a Powermatic 3520B. Here is a Bradford Pear "chip n dip" platter I did several months back, and a video of Antler rings I did this past month, with a basic "how to" explanation.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4065.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	24638248
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PILarJoMexQ"]Antler ring turning - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

That’s an amazing platter!! I’ll round up some pics of past projects and post up.

Comment

Cool idea, Matt. In to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have only ever turned one thing in wood. I was originally trying to make a bowl out of a piece of walnut, but I kept messing up. In the end, I came up with a salt cellar.

Comment

Started turning this year. I love bowls as well, first was a total blow up. That was interesting, thank God I took a friends advice about face shield. Here are my second and third attempt with raw mesquite.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice work you guys

Comment

Comment

The only thing I've ever turned was a chunk of Pine sapwood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pinewood lamp.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	24638290

I wedged it in my drill press with a homemade live center, and used my grinder and a ferries rasp to shape it.

I've always wanted to get a lathe and the proper tools.

Looking for inspiration.

Comment

Great idea for a thread! I bought a small lathe when I retired 2 years ago. Started out doing pens and made a bunch. Easy to do for the most part. Then made a bunch of bowls but limited to small ones because the size of my lathe. I sure do enjoy turning but lately started making boxes and other wooden projects. Im really just learning all of it. My biggest struggle with all woodworking is in the finishing.

The stuff posted so far is very nice! I'm at the lease now but will try and post some pictures when I get back.

Comment

Biggs, I hope I can get that good in the next few years. Great looking bowls.

Question, most everybody use chisels or does anybody use carbide? I went ahead and bought a couple of large carbide handles and tools and I am able to work better with them in most instances. I just had a hard time with some of the sharpening required with chisels, but getting better at it. Most of my chisels are to large and won't fit in my one way jig for sharpening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        The only thing I've ever turned was a chunk of Pine sapwood.

[ATTACH]1030074[/ATTACH]

I wedged it in my drill press with a homemade live center, and used my grinder and a ferries rasp to shape it.

I've always wanted to get a lathe and the proper tools.

Looking for inspiration.
                        Cool little project! How did you make the homemade live center?

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post

Question, most everybody use chisels or does anybody use carbide? .... won't fit in my one way jig for sharpening.
                          I typically use "conventional" gouges, skews and scrapers. Nothing wrong with conventional tools nor carbides, I do use both just more of the conventional tools. I have the wolverine sharpening system. How is your "chisels" to large for the sharpening system?

Comment

Well my large gouge won’t fit into the little vice deal that cradles into the base. The opening circle on both sides is not big enough. Sorry my technical lingo isn’t great. Been trying to teach myself. I can back out the base all the way and just barely get to the angle needed for the gouge but upi have to freehand hold it. Really messed the edge up a few times.

Comment

Bassmat by the way I have watched your antler ring video over and over, you have a steady hand for sure and your work is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X