No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend in mason co where my brother hunts a friend of the rancher wanted to shoot a doe for meat they were best friends and he said that’s fine
    They had a really good buck in the area this is low fence well the friend ended up shooting the big buck instead of a doe the rancher told him to never set foot on his property again
    I don’t think they are friends anymore
    That’s really not a mistake that is intentional

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
      Last weekend in mason co where my brother hunts a friend of the rancher wanted to shoot a doe for meat they were best friends and he said that’s fine
      They had a really good buck in the area this is low fence well the friend ended up shooting the big buck instead of a doe the rancher told him to never set foot on his property again
      I don’t think they are friends anymore
      That’s really not a mistake that is intentional
      Yes sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
        This one still gets me today. We were doing our best to mange our lease with just a rifle, no protein. We had 5000 acres low fence of some of the best deer country Crockett county had to offer. After 4 years we were starting to see results, our top end bucks were 140–150. One of our lease members brought a guest and sat him in the camp house blind to shoot doe. You guessed it, he shot 3 year old typical 12 point. This buck was the only true 6x6 I’d ever seen, his G5 were pushing 5”. This ended up being the paid hunters trophy for the year. The worst thing about it was he just cut the head off, said he’d killed dozens of bucks bigger than the 12 point, but he could “use the meat”. What a ******!!!
        See above post ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
          Several years ago I was hunting a high fence ranch with very strict management rules. We needed to take some doe off the place and we were allowed to have guest come in to kill them. I had a friend that was constantly asking me for deer meat so I called and invited him to come shoot one himself. My oldest son was 13 at the time and is a better hunter than most grown men. He sat with my friend while I was with another guy a few hundred yards away. It was right a daylight I heard a shot and my son text that the friend shot at a doe but are unsure if he hit it. Before I can text back I hear three quick shots. I text again asking what is going on. No answer. I hear one more shot and then a few seconds and then three more shots. I got on the phone and called him. My son answered in a panic. He said that the "friend" kept saying that he missed the deer but kept shooting. Once he ran out of shells then he took my sons rifle and shot three more times with it. He finally had a deer down that he could see. I got the friend on the phone and told him not to fire another shot. I was heading that way. Once I got there I could tell the my son knew something was wrong. I pulled him aside and asked him to tell me the story. He said that the friend assumed that he missed the deer with each shot. But would then see another deer running and say there she is and fire off a few more shots.

So I told them all to stay at the truck and went to see what I could find. After walking to the feeder it looked like a war zone. There was blood everywhere. This guy had shot 5 deer, (3 doe, 1 nubbin and a 3 point buck). After talking with the ranch manager I agreed that the bucks would be mine for the year and the doe were needed to meet the MLD tags we needed to fill. The friend wanted to meat but I told him to get out and never let me see him again. That was my last year on that place. I just lost interest in hunting for awhile after that.
          Oh snap. Good thing he wasn't using a MSR with a 15 round mag.

A high fenced ranch and your bucks for the year are a nubbin and a 3 point....I could see where that sting would last a while.

Comment

not a guest, but a new member. I leased a place in west Alabama and formed a club with 10 members. I try to keep rules easy. Made it plain to everyone multiple times we were trophy managing, limited doe, and NO young bucks period.
            Opening day Idot kills a 1 1/2 year old eight point, 120 pounds. Broadside three hours before dark in a greenfield at 50 yards. I chew his arse about the young deer and he says he's killing every eight point he sees no matter the age. I get the checkbook and refund his total fees and trespass him off the property. Idiot for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
              I had a guy I do some work with come out as a favor. Said he was a big hunter and he hunts every ware. Came out with new camo and a brand new 270. I sat in the blind with him the first evening talking to him about deer, working on aging them and explaining him what not to shoot.

The next morning, I dropped him off and went over the what to shoot what not to shoot again. Also told him he must shoot a doe before he shoots a buck, so shoot the first mature doe you see. " you bet". I went off with the hand and sat in the high rack and killed a few hog's and yotes. Wen went to pick him up, he was out of the blind and all excited. He said he shoot a big old buck. We fallowed the blood trail and picked up a 130'' 9PT 3YO. I told him nicely that that buck was young and he was done shooting bucks and he needed to shoot a doe and some pigs. He was to happy to be bothered. I was frustrated but some what relived because it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

That evening, I drop him off in a blind close to camp. Went off and started working around the camp. I told him, no bucks. Does and pigs only. I head a couple of shots. I went to pick him up from the blind and he was again out of the blind and was pointing in to the brush. This time he was telling me he shot a cull buck, it was old and needed to die, he was watching it fight with a younger buck and it really hunt the younger buck. He killed the young buck because it was hurt. He needed to put it down. We collected the deer and I was in rage. So this guy killed a 3.5 yo 9py 130'', a 4.5 you 8pt 134" and a 2.5 yo 11pt 132".

I sent him home that night, no shower, no dinner. Made that fkr, clean his deer and get out. I no longer do biz with him or his company. I was sick about it for a while. This is a place where I am really working on improving the heard and hear this guy shoots 3 bucks that have potential.
              Reading through all of theses, this is one of the most blatant "mistakes" I've heard of.

Comment

We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                  We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years
                  and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.
                  A lease that my buddy is on has a 155” minimum (Mule deer). If you shoot one under that, it’s a $2500 fine. Since there are about 8-10 guys in camp all the time, it’d be hard to hide that expensive mistake. My buddy has passed on several bucks cause he wasn’t sure about it being over 155”!

Comment

I hunted with a friend of mine for 15 yr.s, we didn,t have a lot of big bucks back then, we do know, I was hunting on the top of the hill we also have bottom land, that night I had a good buck come out so I dropped him, the next morning I was hunting the bottom and had a even bigger buck come out into the open field, stopped sideways bout 150 yrd.s away, I just watched then he turned and starting walking towards me. I stayed in line of a big tree and moved over to a fallen tree, layer Bowman and watched as he came in to 35 yrd.s stopped and stood on his hind legs to mark a tree ( I guess) then turned and walked past me no more than 4 yrd.s, I just payed there till he cleared the area, we had no rules that said we couldn’t, shoot more than 1 big buck, we,re in a 5 deer county but I figured it wouldn,t be fair to shoot him so I told my friend about where he was. Turns out I should have shot him he didn,t come back out seems he got scared off the neighbors land. The next wk. the neighbor shot a doe and while walking out he shot that big buck. That,s o.k. I just wanted my buddy to shot it. So yes I hunt ethnically , I,ve passed on more than 3 but that to me is the right thing to do, like I say I was a guest even if it was15 yr.s

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                      Should've nailed him for poaching. He was allowed a doe not buck. Taking an animal without consent. Many of these stories, I would've called the warden. Some were mistakes but others were blatant disregard

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
                      Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                        We have an interesting situation where I hunt. I’m the chairman of the hunting committee. We have a corporation with residences. We have a small piece of undeveloped property that members can hunt. We also allow guests of members but guests can shoot does only. This is a Christian community, but we have a contract both the sponsoring member and guest must sign. Rules are clear and in bold print. Guests may shoot does only and member is responsible. The problem is there is no penalty if someone messes up. Several weeks ago I get a call from a member that their son in law wanted to hunt. I explained the contract and reiterated that it had to be read and initialed and signed by both the member and guest. Texted the member a day or so later and the guy had killed a big axis buck. This is small property. Axis are plentiful but axis bucks are a bit hard to come by. I’ve hunted for 5 years and have yet to kill a big buck. To say the least I’m a bit hot under the collar. In the grand scheme of things it is just a deer, but still super frustrating. Gonna have to revisit the rules and make some changes.

There is a penalty if they mess up. Call the game warden. You have a signed contract that they broke so that is hunting a buck without landowner consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                          There is a penalty if they mess up. Call the game warden. You have a signed contract that they broke so that is hunting a buck without landowner consent.
                          This

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                            This^^^^^

I made it crystal clear this is what would happen if any of my guests or paid hunters shot an animal that wasnt allowed to be shot. There was also a $5000 penalty. All of this was in writing. Never had to call the GW or collect the $5k.

Comment

If there is a contract, I’d almost think the GW would tell you it’s a civil issue. Since they did have permission to hunt.

Anyone have experience with above situations and outcomes if GW was called?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                                A lease that my buddy is on has a 155” minimum (Mule deer). If you shoot one under that, it’s a $2500 fine. Since there are about 8-10 guys in camp all the time, it’d be hard to hide that expensive mistake. My buddy has passed on several bucks cause he wasn’t sure about it being over 155”!
                                I wonder how they enforce the $2500 fine for killing a 150” mule deer? Seriously, I can see getting kicked off a lease for that. But legally they can’t force you get out your check book and write them a $2500 check.

Comment

Working...
                                X