Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
Javelin
Pope & Young
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County
Default Cost to run water and electricity

Looking at putting a house on my property. The house will be about 500 feet off the fm road in a pasture. Going to need new water and electricity service. I know it varies but what have some of y’all paid? I am considering doing water myself by renting ditch witch. On electric I don’t want underground
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #2
ladybluearm
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

In Fayette county, we paid premium price to have rural water. Electric company gave us 1 pole we had to bye 2, but they reimbursed us over a year for the poles we bought. That was about 32 yrs ago.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #3
Electrican
Pope & Young
 
Electrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Burleson TX
Hunt In: For a place
Default

Why not underground electric service?
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
CabezaBlanca
Pope & Young
 
CabezaBlanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rock Island, TX
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

Basing it off your distance compared to mine….$9,250. That is not touching it.

And underground.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:23 PM   #5
Cartman
Eight Point
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Houston Co
Default Cost to run water and electricity

I would definitely do the water yourself. I ran our water 1,000+ ft using a ride on trencher. I would not rent the walk behind. I used the blade on the trencher to backfill the trench. Used 1” poly tubing. Ferguson water works Sells them in 500’ rolls if I remember right. Was done in a day. This was to a well.

Electric was $2-3k to run about the same distance. I think the first 250’ was free. Also, they may not run it the shortest distance. Whichever route is easiest for them. That price was based on it being a primary resident. A second home would cost more.

This was a little over a year ago.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
southtx
Eight Point
 
southtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Hunt In: Zapata tx
Default

AEP in Zapata county added a transformer onto power poles that were running inside my property and one pole to my house at no cost when I built my place about four years ago. I rented a trencher and ran 1200 ft of pvc from my water meter to the house.
southtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 09:42 PM   #7
Txhunter3000
Eight Point
 
Txhunter3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Why not underground electric service?
500' ? I'm not even going to look up the wire size and price for a 200 Amp service..
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2022, 11:12 PM   #8
Killer
Pope & Young
 
Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Powderly, TX
Hunt In: God's green earth
Default

Depends if the power line needs to cross the FM road they will need a Txdot permit to cross. Definitely will be cheaper to bring the primary overhead close to the house. Set deadend pole and overhead transformer and then go 80 to 100ft underground with the low voltage service to the meter on the house.

ONCOR will go 300ft free or $8400 allowable per SF residential structure. If the total cost to build it once you get over 300ft is $10,000 to serve the house you would be charged the difference between $8400 allowable and $10,000 total cost to build it in or $1600 cost to you as an example.
They will want an easement for anything on private property for the power line.

Coop will be similar. Every electric company is a little different on their extension policy
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 03:27 AM   #9
CWendling
Ten Point
 
CWendling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Nevada,tx
Hunt In: Henderson
Default

we have coop water and elec at our place and did ours 2 yrs ago. Water meter was $1500 since it was on our side of the road. Wouldve been another $1K to bring it under the road. Like the others, i ran the water myself about 600' with trencher and 1.5" PVC. Electric was a lot more than water. We had to go about 1200' to the nearest power to tie into and it was close to $5-6K for that. I installed my own permanent power pole, i think that cost $3-400
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 05:07 AM   #10
Hogmauler
Pope & Young
 
Hogmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Kerrville
Default

For Robertson county water to install a meter on out place is right at $4,000.00. Then $42.00 a month to read the meter.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 06:38 AM   #11
tps7742
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Hunt In: East tx
Default

If you going to be on a rural water system they should be able to tell you what a meter hookup would cost to your property line. After that it’s usually your responsibility from my experience. Depending on the type of pipe you use you can do the math on that of course. Several people are using the rolled pipiping these days. I used the 20’ end to end sch 40 last time I ran a significant amount. Depending on your ground you may want to consider one of those sit on type ditchers. The engineering department of your electric coop should be able to give you a close figure on what it would cost with a phone call. Of course as you are aware of all I said.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Big pig
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Blanket, TX
Hunt In: Brown Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I would definitely do the water yourself. I ran our water 1,000+ ft using a ride on trencher. I would not rent the walk behind. I used the blade on the trencher to backfill the trench. Used 1” poly tubing. Ferguson water works Sells them in 500’ rolls if I remember right. Was done in a day .
About the same for me. 1500’ from meter to a junction at the house then down to a trough. But I had to use a rock blade. Biggest trick is joining the pipes together. Rented the “heating” tool for that. Do it yourself.

Electricity was 1000’ at about $3,000. Underground was $9,000. I regret I didn’t have the extra to go underground.

All 2.5 years ago so I am sure $ has changed
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #13
Hogmauler
Pope & Young
 
Hogmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Kerrville
Default

It’s b s that I can’t read my own meter
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young
 
Mr. Whiskers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Yall got much better deals then I did. 2 poles with a meter pole was 3500.00 through a co op. We did the 300' power under ground ourselves to the building. Wire and PVC cost was around 4500.00. Water was reasonable as I put in irrigation and ran to the building using a friends trencher.
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #15
rferg84
Pope & Young
 
rferg84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweetwater TX
Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Looking at putting a house on my property. The house will be about 500 feet off the fm road in a pasture. Going to need new water and electricity service. I know it varies but what have some of y’all paid? I am considering doing water myself by renting ditch witch. On electric, I don’t want underground
Just did this in October 2021.

Electric Company, we are in a coop, that ran 1200 feet for free. I want to say it was $30/ft after that but if that's stupid wrong let me know. We only ran 900' so I didn't worry about it.

Water line cost me $6 per foot. We had to bore under a highway so needed to get TXDOT permit, wasn't hard to do. I paid $3k to bore 120' from meter to our fence, then $6 per foot from there to the house. All in about $10k.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #16
Montec man
Ten Point
 
Montec man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Georgetown
Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Depends if the power line needs to cross the FM road they will need a Txdot permit to cross. Definitely will be cheaper to bring the primary overhead close to the house. Set deadend pole and overhead transformer and then go 80 to 100ft underground with the low voltage service to the meter on the house.

ONCOR will go 300ft free or $8400 allowable per SF residential structure. If the total cost to build it once you get over 300ft is $10,000 to serve the house you would be charged the difference between $8400 allowable and $10,000 total cost to build it in or $1600 cost to you as an example.
They will want an easement for anything on private property for the power line.

Coop will be similar. Every electric company is a little different on their extension policy
What killer said is spot on. We did the same thing to get power run to our camp at the lease. Crossed the neighboring property and had to get the owner to sign an easement.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #17
rferg84
Pope & Young
 
rferg84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweetwater TX
Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferg84 View Post
Just did this in October 2021.

Electric Company, we are in a coop, that ran 1200 feet for free. I want to say it was $30/ft after that but if that's stupid wrong let me know. We only ran 900' so I didn't worry about it.

Water line cost me $6 per foot. We had to bore under a highway so needed to get TXDOT permit, wasn't hard to do. I paid $3k to bore 120' from meter to our fence, then $6 per foot from there to the house. All in about $10k.
I forgot we are paying our electrician $2700 to trench and run about 120' of line from the meter on the pole to the house, he is also hooking up our backup generator at that time.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #18
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young
 
EastTexasMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, tx
Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico
Default

Leon county - $9 per foot overhead, $13 per foot underground from Houston county electric co-op.. $600 for underground pedestal meter base w/ 200 amp disconnect or a meter pole

I am having them install 380' now with an underground pedestal installed - $5200. 100' is overhead, 280' underground

Last edited by EastTexasMan; 06-03-2022 at 02:58 PM.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #19
buzzbait
Ten Point
 
buzzbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus/Colorado County
Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette
Default

Fayette County $15k for water 400 ft deep well
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com