Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-29-2022, 02:21 PM   #1
LHPanther
Ten Point

Default Lake House

Considering getting a lake house for our family. We might air bnb at some point in time. It seems like the search feature is down (at least on my end) cause Iím sure this has been a thread a time or 2.
Who has a lake house? Pro/cons. Would you do it all over again in retrospect? Looking at a house 40 minutes doorstep to doorstep.
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I typed “lake house” in the search space and got a whole bunch of threads.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

How much do lake houses cost these days? If regular cookie cutter homes soared to 400-600k I bet lake homes are millions
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
BlackoutRam2500
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
How much do lake houses cost these days? If regular cookie cutter homes soared to 400-600k I bet lake homes are millions
Plenty of lakes in TX depends on where you are looking. Sam Rayburn can still had for under $350k.

Personally if paying cash I would wait for the downturn. Lots of people have been buying 2nd and 3rd homes over the past 5 years and I imagine many will be looking to cut down on their monthly payments.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I typed ďlake houseĒ in the search space and got a whole bunch of threads.
My search feature has resulted in a white screen all day. Sure itís an issue on my end
Old 05-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #6
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Weíve found a house that meets our requirements and budget. Iím just curious what current lake house or former lake house owners have to say about owing a lake house. Super fun? Would recommend it?
Old 05-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
Huntingfool
Ten Point

we owned a nice lake house on Lake Buchanan for around 8 years.

Pros:

1. like you ours was around 40 minutes from our house - that was huge for us - did not want to drive hours just for a weekend
2. Great way to keep kids/grandkids around you - everybody loved going to the lake
3.If you decide to rent it out get a management company to do it for you - way too much hassle to DIY
4. Overall just a very cool getaway on weekends and holidays

Cons:

1. If it is not a constant level lake then it can be a mess at times. Buchanan was not and we went through a 4 year drought. Boat dock was dry docked and we had our boat stored. All of the ramps on the lake were closed. If I ever do one again it will be on a constant level lake for sure.
2. Does it have a big yard? Unless you are willing to pay for lawn care you will be driving there at times when you do not really want to just to mow the lawn.
3. Everybody becomes your friends when you own a lake house. We let family and friends use it at times but in general they will use everything in the home (paper towels, etc.) and not replace them.

End of the day we have great memories from our lake house - would still have it if not for it not being a constant level lake.

Good luck
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post

Pros:

1. like you ours was around 40 minutes from our house - that was huge for us - did not want to drive hours just for a weekend
2. Great way to keep kids/grandkids around you - everybody loved going to the lake
3.If you decide to rent it out get a management company to do it for you - way too much hassle to DIY

Cons:

1. If it is not a constant level lake then it can be a mess at times. Buchanan was not and we went through a 4 year drought. Boat dock was dry docked and we had our boat stored. All of the ramps on the lake were closed. If I ever do one again it will be on a constant level lake for sure.
2. Does it have a big yard? Unless you are willing to pay for lawn care you will be driving there at times when you do not really want to just to mow the lawn.
3. Everybody becomes your friends when you own a lake house. We let family and friends use it at times but in general they will use everything in the home (paper towels, etc.) and not replace them.

End of the day we have great memories from our lake house - would still have it if not for it not being a constant level lake.

Good luck
This is exactly what I was looking for in a response. Thank you. No, it’s not a constant level lake. It’s on lake Granbury. The front yard is tiny and the backyard is steep and covered with a common landscaping ivy. Yard maintenance will be absolutely minimal I believe. The overall sq footage of the house is small, but nice. Not much room inside for tons of folks to sleep which is a bonus in our mind lol.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Ain’t nothing like a Lake House.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHPanther View Post
Weíve found a house
that meets our requirements and budget. Iím just curious what current lake house or former lake house owners have to say about owing a lake house. Super fun? Would recommend it?
Which Lake did you choose?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Good luck

This is pretty spot on ^^^^.

My great-grandfather bought a 2 room cabin on Lake Worth back in 1932. The lot was leased at the time. But the cabin was bought. It was a two-room cabin that grew over time. My grandfather moved into it to raise my dad ((age 12) when he came into my grandfather's custody from a divorce. His mother could not handle him any longer. Anyway, my grandfather got him straightened out. He was raised on the lake. And eventually became a minister before marrying my mother. Being an only child, he inherited the place when my grandfather passed in 1999. The city sold all the lots to the owners after that. And in 2008, my dad put it up for sale. I took care of the grounds most of the time after my grandfather got to old to (1980s on). It was a large lot, about an acre. I've got many of grand and fond memories of the place that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Taught my kids to swim and fish there. Had some Christmas gatherings there growing up. And many a BBQ and Corn roast out back. There were many times I kept the 150' dock brushed for crappie in the spring. And baited for catfish through the summers. Had my wedding there. And many other memories. My grandfather conveyed much of the lake's history to me. One of his sisters was also a Ft. Worth historian that I got to speak with much of my young adult life.

I still spend time in the area. Work nearby, same place where my Dad did in the mid 1960s. I also had the opportunity to witness the growth of the area. And demise of some of it with the "new" change that came with time.

Yes, memories are made at places like that. If that is what you want of your legacy, go for it!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #12
Huntingfool
Ten Point

Quote:
This is exactly what I was looking for in a response. Thank you. No, it’s not a constant level lake. It’s on lake Granbury. The front yard is tiny and the backyard is steep and covered with a common landscaping ivy. Yard maintenance will be absolutely minimal I believe. The overall sq footage of the house is small, but nice. Not much room inside for tons of folks to sleep which is a bonus in our mind lol.
wow - we live in Georgetown and I have been looking at lake houses at Lake Granbury -a little further than I would want for a drive but that area is awesome. The lake is very nice and the town is awesome. Even though it is not constant level it is still pretty steady as far as lake levels from what I have seen

My daughter's in-laws own a house there and they love it - we go up and enjoy it couple of times a year - IMO you cannot go wrong with Granbury ( there are some areas of the lake that are spotty - lots of stumps, etc. so make sure you learn the lay of the land (or lake) - good luck to you
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Which Lake did you choose?
Lake Granbury. Just a short drive from our house.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #14
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Tex

Looking for a place around Sam Rayburn myself, but I’m not paying the overpriced land note these days. Would like 1-2 acres and will build what I want.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 07:58 PM   #15
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

We lived on Lake Livingston for 10 years. It was awesome. Get up in the morning and drink coffee looking across the lake. Want to go for a ride, just hit the switch and boat is in the water in 60 seconds. We sold last year and now live one block off the water but have water view. The waterfront taxes just about tripled on Livingston around 2011 and I just couldn’t justify it anymore.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Weíve found a house that meets our requirements and budget. Iím just curious what current lake house or former lake house owners have to say about owing a lake house. Super fun? Would recommend it?

Lots of maintenanceónot only house but boats, jet skis, etc.óbut, yes, super fun.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 08:41 PM   #17
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
We lived on Lake Livingston for 10 years. It was awesome. Get up in the morning and drink coffee looking across the lake. Want to go for a ride, just hit the switch and boat is in the water in 60 seconds. We sold last year and now live one block off the water but have water view. The waterfront taxes just about tripled on Livingston around 2011 and I just couldnít justify it anymore.
Probably why I wonít retire to Lakefront Property. Guess a Lakeview Place is in my Future if I live long enough.
lilavidhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 PM   #18
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County
Default Lake House

Built a lakefront house on Livingston in 2016. Thought weíd retire there someday. Kids started playing varsity sports, AAU Summer Basketball and all that entails and the amount of time we got to spend there dwindled. We sold in 2020, but we enjoyed it while we had it. 45 minutes from door to door and it was a beautiful place.

Pros:
Itís a house on a lake
Great place to take family
Great place to entertain
Easy to drop boat in water and go

Cons:
COST TO OPERATE
Property taxes got stupid
Paid to have yard done
Paid to have house cleaned
Extra insurance for boats and jet skis
Extra DirecTV bill
Extra electricity bill
Extra gas bill
Extra phone/internet bill
Extra homeowners insurance

We budgeted for it and could afford it, but I couldíve stayed for a week at any Ritz Carlton once a month for what I spent on that house. Hit a homerun when I sold it though. Sure do miss LeBlancís Cajun Kitchen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #19
EarleyBird
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Lots of maintenanceónot only house but boats, jet skis, etc.óbut, yes, super fun.
Inlaws have a lake house on Stanmire, built in 1929, I think. Wife and I got married in 1995 and it seemed like the whole family was there most every weekend from spring to fall. Eventually it got to where you spent the majority of the weekend fixing stuff and no time to just have fun. Eventually everyone just stopped going and the place declined pretty fast. About 7-8 years ago my FIL spent several thousand dollars to completely rebuild everything and we're back to enjoying it. We just got home from there about an hour ago, in fact.

It's a great thing to have, but you also better have a pretty healthy disposable income for the upkeep. I'd say it's worth it if you can afford it, and can afford to use it pretty regular. Lack of use will run one down in a hurry.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 09:34 PM   #20
LHPanther
Ten Point

All great responses. Not many negatives being listed, which is great to hear. Naturally, maintaining a second residence is not what anyone wants to do during their free time, I get it, but it does come with the territory. Just try to maximize our time with the kids (7&9) before time runs out on us. Between ranch trips and lake trips, I’m hoping to build some deeply rooted memories and experiences with the kids.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:42 PM   #21
EarleyBird
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
All great responses. Not many negatives being listed, which is great to hear. Naturally, maintaining a second residence is not what anyone wants to do during their free time, I get it, but it does come with the territory. Just try to maximize our time with the kids (7&9) before time runs out on us. Between ranch trips and lake trips, Iím hoping to build some deeply rooted memories and experiences with the kids.
Then there's your answer, brother! Enjoy the hell out of it and sell it for a profit later on!
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #22
brains
Spike

I don’t own one but my mother does, and my grandparents owned it before they passed. It’s just an older well kept single wide trailer house on lake Brownwood. We live in west Texas and it’s been a place where I grew up going to during the summers and now my kids are doing the same. There is not a time when I go down there when there isn’t work to be done but that’s always been part of having it. We always find time to play and create memories there. Wouldn’t trade that place for much other than another place on a better part of that lake.
brains is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 10:32 PM   #23
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

I lived on Lake Fork for six years and it was nice ,BUT, theyíre a pain in the rear to keep up mainly because of the sprinklers, sea wall and boat house and lift. ALWAYS something to work on.
My MIL still lives on Fork and hers may be for sale before too long. Itís 4/3/2.5 two story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 08:20 AM   #24
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

We have a 2 ac place on limestone. Been here since Thursday afternoon. We love it. Holidays are busy but we expect it. Fall and late winter it's a completely different vibe.

Cons for us is it's not directly on the water but we have nice enough neighbors who let us dock our boat. Actually have 2 spots for different winds it's 2 hours for us but not bad. Amenities close aren't that great but not suffering either.

Biggest is not being able to leave here for work. It's a pretty tight community with people driving up the driveway to introduce themselves and drink a beer.

I'm glad we bought when we did (2019) cause I don't think we could touch a place like this now

Biggest issue is the locals at night get kinda wild

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Should add...we also looked on the coast as it's about the same drive. He we have no hurricanes, stuff don't rust and you're not sticky at the end of the day

Last edited by Quackerbox; 05-30-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #25
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

We live on Richland Chambers full time and love it. Like others have said, a constant level lake would be nice. We are way back in a cove, so when the lake drops our cove is the first to show it which is a negative. But we donít get the big waves of open water that tear everything up. Like others have said, itís constant work to keep everything clean and updated.

Our land is right at 4 acres, so deer out the front porch, and fishing in the backyard is definitely worth the hard work. We are seriously contemplating renting it out occasionally. Our HVAC guy said the previous owner would rent it out on the weekends for $1300.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #26
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: We The People FJB

Just got back from Lake House...I'm beat lol. It is a lot of fun, work and money. We bought a project in 2018 on PK and gutted it. It has been a cash cow on vrbo and not sure I would want it if I couldn't rent it out. Plan on buying a boat, jet ski's, gas, beer, food and pulling kids all weekend but we have had some great times with friend's and family.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 02:44 PM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
We live on Richland Chambers full time and love it. Like others have said, a constant level lake would be nice. We are way back in a cove, so when the lake drops our cove is the first to show it which is a negative. But we donít get the big waves of open water that tear everything up. Like others have said, itís constant work to keep everything clean and updated.

Our land is right at 4 acres, so deer out the front porch, and fishing in the backyard is definitely worth the hard work. We are seriously contemplating renting it out occasionally. Our HVAC guy said the previous owner would rent it out on the weekends for $1300.
I'd be interested if yall decided to.

I wish I would have pushed my wide harder to look there

Old 05-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #28
DedDuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: My Real Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I'd be interested if yall decided to.

I wish I would have pushed my wide harder to look there

She know you call her that?
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 02:51 PM   #29
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
She know you call her that?
That's when she ain't working. When she's running the weedeater or chainsaw I call her Juanita. She only gets honey when cooking dinner

Old 05-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #30
BLee15
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee & Crossplains

In laws have a lake house. Only negative I would say is keeping the boat/ jet skis running. Water vehicles are a PITA to maintain. I swear every time my FIL fixes something on the boat something else will break and nothing is cheap about a boat or jet skis. The house/ view though is something I can used to.
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #31
Chad C
Pope & Young

We have a little casita on PK, make sure you can have a dock or it has one. Preferably deep water. That my 2 cents. The end of our dock is in 20í of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #32
bklem
Ten Point

Bought ours in 2018. Little 2/1 house on LBJ. Our plan then was to retire there so we thought we might as well get started. Glad we did. We have used it every weekend except during hunting season! Lol. Putting in the paper work to retire this week and about to break ground on renovations of the house to make it big enough for our expanding family. In the meantime we are prepping our home of the last 18 years here in Comfort for sale. Bittersweet, as Comfort is my hometown and we raised our kids here, but retirement calls and you ain’t about to get this smile off my face.

Pros
It’s the lake!
Fish when I want, not when I can
Entertaining
Lbj is constant level so that was the deciding factor for us.

Cons
Taxes
Smaller lot. Going from 5 acres to 50x150’ lot. No place to store all my crap!
Less house for more $$. Going from 3100 sq ft to what will be 2500 sq ft. True now it is just 1000 sq ft but expanding
bklem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 04:28 PM   #33
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklem View Post
Bought ours in 2018. Little 2/1 house on LBJ. Our plan then was to retire there so we thought we might as well get started. Glad we did. We have used it every weekend except during hunting season! Lol. Putting in the paper work to retire this week and about to break ground on renovations of the house to make it big enough for our expanding family. In the meantime we are prepping our home of the last 18 years here in Comfort for sale. Bittersweet, as Comfort is my hometown and we raised our kids here, but retirement calls and you ain’t about to get this smile off my face.

Pros
It’s the lake!
Entertaining

Cons
Taxes
Smaller lot. Going from 5 acres to 50x150’ lot. No place to store all my crap!
Less house for more $$. Going from 3100 sq ft to what will be 2500 sq ft. True now it is just 1000 sq ft but expanding

Yes sir. If in central Texas I think constant level is a necessity--especially with all the growth and strain on water supply.

We are on LBJ as well. About 40 minutes from home and 30 minutes from the ranch in Llano. Last year I went to the lake twice on Friday with the family, took my son to the ranch for Saturday afternoon hunts, dropped his deer off at the processor (yup, that's how I roll) and was back at the lake by 7:00 to join the women folk. :-)

Our house on LBJ is new construction; however, as stated above, there is always something to tinker with. Seems like local contractors charge fur lined underwear prices to out of town weekenders and their customers don't bat an eye. One of my friend's contacts wanted $3K to do a fairly simple fire pit. Ended up doing one myself. For this reason (I'm cheap) I have also been doing a lot of work on the day dock, boat and jets lifts etc. myself. My wife sold me on the place by saying, "Let's buy a lake house. It will be soooo relaxing." It has been for her!

We just started leasing it out for short term rentals as we have been slammed with kid's activities and sports for months (along as aging parent issues) and even though only 40 minutes or so away we have been too busy to use on the weekends. I will usually knock off half a day or so every couple weeks and head out to get work done.

I don't know if we will ever move out there, but hopefully will be able to spend more time out there one of these days. it is nice to have the option to do so instead of jumping on a plane for a long weekend etc.

Last edited by RR 314; 05-30-2022 at 04:43 PM.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #34
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Yes sir. If in central Texas I think constant level is a necessity--especially with all the growth and strain on water supply.

We are on LBJ as well. About 40 minutes from home and 30 minutes from the ranch in Llano. Last year I went to the lake twice on Friday with the family, took my son to the ranch for Saturday afternoon hunts, dropped his deer off at the processor (yup, that's how I roll) and was back at the lake by 7:00 to join the women folk. :-)

Our house on LBJ is new construction; however, as stated above, there is always something to tinker with. Seems like local contractors charge fur lined underwear prices to out of town weekenders and their customers don't bat an eye. One of my friend's contacts wanted $3K to do a fairly simple fire pit. Ended up doing one myself. For this reason (I'm cheap) I have also been doing a lot of work on the day dock, boat and jets lifts etc. myself. My wife sold me on the place by saying, "Let's buy a lake house. It will be soooo relaxing." It has been for her!

We just started leasing it out for short term rentals as we have been slammed with kid's activities and sports for months (along as aging parent issues) and even though only 40 minutes or so away we have been too busy to use on the weekends. I will usually knock off half a day or so every couple weeks and head out to get work done.

I don't know if we will ever move out there, but hopefully will be able to spend more time out there one of these days. it is nice to have the option to do so instead of jumping on a plane for a long weekend etc.

Thatís exactly how this lake house would set up for us too. Less than 30 minutes to our ranch gate. Hunt the ranch. Let whoever wants to stay at the lake, stay and be back to the lake house after dark. Would be a breeze to do both over a weekend.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #35
LHPanther
Ten Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
Just got back from Lake House...I'm beat lol. It is a lot of fun, work and money. We bought a project in 2018 on PK and gutted it. It has been a cash cow on vrbo and not sure I would want it if I couldn't rent it out. Plan on buying a boat, jet ski's, gas, beer, food and pulling kids all weekend but we have had some great times with friend's and family.
Had our schedules matched up, we would all would be talking about my Oklahoma property lol. Missing out on that one stung a bit lol. Glad the lake house has worked out for y’all.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #36
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís exactly how this lake house would set up for us too. Less than 30 minutes to our ranch gate. Hunt the ranch. Let whoever wants to stay at the lake, stay and be back to the lake house after dark. Would be a breeze to do both over a weekend.
Stop asking questions and put down some earnest money! :-)
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 07:53 PM   #37
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklem View Post
Bought ours in 2018. Little 2/1 house on LBJ. Our plan then was to retire there so we thought we might as well get started. Glad we did. We have used it every weekend except during hunting season! Lol. Putting in the paper work to retire this week and about to break ground on renovations of the house to make it big enough for our expanding family. In the meantime we are prepping our home of the last 18 years here in Comfort for sale. Bittersweet, as Comfort is my hometown and we raised our kids here, but retirement calls and you ainít about to get this smile off my face.

Pros
Itís the lake!
Entertaining

Cons
Taxes
Smaller lot. Going from 5 acres to 50x150í lot. No place to store all my crap!
Congrats on your retirement! LBJ and Tablerock are my two favorite lakes, I have wonderful memories on both but wouldnít choose to to go back to either unless to visit good people like yourself.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 08:17 PM   #38
LHPanther
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Stop asking questions and put down some earnest money! :-)
Iím trying! Called my agent tonight and made an offer. The waiting game begins!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:59 AM   #39
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

I have 2 acres with a house on lake limestone that is a 2 hour drive from my permanent residence.

It is a major commitment since it is just me and my wife. There is always work to be done but we balance it with fishing and cook outs with the neighbors. The neighbor who I have become friends with also has 600 acres on the river bottom where I hunt with him and his family. A great bonus. The effort is worth it to me.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 09:13 AM   #40
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Quote:
Iím trying! Called my agent tonight and made an offer. The waiting game begins!
Good luck. I regret not buying one for my family.
I bought a ranch when I was single and never ďgave it up.Ē
For the family I think yall will really be happy. you can always sell it if things change.

BP
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 09:32 AM   #41
powderburner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

I have a Bay house. Yes... Maintained it is awesome. Leave it alone for a few weeks and you will spend a few weeks getting it back together.
I spent a full day gutting my shop and cleaning it back up. Guest will destroy your organization. Rods, reels, hooks, weights etc.

Everyone is your best friend
Its a love hate relationship.
I love it
I love having people down there.
I hate having people down that I have to babysit.

Boat is always a hit. This weekend was a prime example. Thursday - Saturday AM it was beautiful. Saturday PM - Monday night the wind was 20mph. No boat rides.
Kept the heat down but kept everyone around the house.

Cleaning up sucks. Took us all day Monday to wash/dry all the towels, bed linens, laundry.

Second home Taxes suck

For me on the coast I have rebuilt my pier 3 times in 5 years.
Re ran all the electrical on the pier this year
installed LED lights
Replaced the deck
AC is the next thing to get replaced.

take your home.
list everything that goes into it...
Now double it
and add time to get there and do it all
Subtract that time from your expected play time.
that is your down time at the house
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:40 AM   #42
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

We built our lake home 6 years ago, it was a lifelong dream for us to have a home on Lake Texoma, we grew up going there, we have a lawn service so not too much for us to keep up with, no dock but we do have a large slip down at the marina. Never want to say never but I seriously doubt this home will ever be sold in my lifetime, we built it for the family. Pretty much all pros for us.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 11:36 AM   #43
Rwc
Pope & Young

Can't really comment on the pros/cons of a "Lake House" just yet, but since buying my lake lot its all pro's, especially if the bride keeps mowing!

I'll check back in once we get the house part complete. Ha.

Rwc
Attached Images

Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 01:56 PM   #44
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I've considered it but the thought of being at the mercy of the county taxing authorities has me leaning towards renting anything on the water vs buying it
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 03:32 PM   #45
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Most has already been said.

The most significant con is simply the added expense of owning a 2nd home. As stated, take the standard list of expeditures on the 1st home and literally double that. 2X on the property tax bill, basic utilities, basic upkeep (i.e. yard, etc.). Those types of expenses are incurred regardless of the amount of usage of said property.

The closer to your primary home the better. Being within an hour or so, allows for more opportunities to use the property and it also allows you to do maintnence/upkeep without needing an entire weekend.

Air bnb or renting out can be an option, but also comes with it's own set of issues. For starters, short-term renters are pretty rough on property and you are always going to be fixing something a renter messed up. Also, peak rental times also often coincide with the times you might want to use the place for family. Also, depending on where you buy, some communities and/or HOAs don't allow short term rentals and I don't blame them.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #46
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
I have 2 acres with a house on lake limestone that is a 2 hour drive from my permanent residence.

It is a major commitment since it is just me and my wife. There is always work to be done but we balance it with fishing and cook outs with the neighbors. The neighbor who I have become friends with also has 600 acres on the river bottom where I hunt with him and his family. A great bonus. The effort is worth it to me.
Where is your place. We just landed back home from our spot off 740

Old 06-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #47
LHPanther
Ten Point

*** Update ****

House found. Contract signed. Earnest money put down.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:48 PM   #48
LHPanther
Ten Point

*** Update ****

House found. Contract signed. Earnest money put down.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #49
LHPanther
Ten Point

On the dock at the house
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 PM   #50
bbbuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Congratulations.