Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #501
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
What a killer setup Looks like a lot of fun and I know that's a lot of work.
Thanks man! Having a water well and everything set up on drip tape takes a lot of work out of the game, I can also push fertilizer through the water system too.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #502
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Thanks man! Having a water well and everything set up on drip tape takes a lot of work out of the game, I can also push fertilizer through the water system too.
Chris, you using the Hoss Tools type system? My in ground garden next year will be 100% drip taped! I did it this year, but most of the drip tape is on top of the ground rather than buried under the plants... Next year, the drip tape will be the first thing I lay down!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #503
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Chris, you using the Hoss Tools type system? My in ground garden next year will be 100% drip taped! I did it this year, but most of the drip tape is on top of the ground rather than buried under the plants... Next year, the drip tape will be the first thing I lay down!!
I started with hoss system but since then I got mine from rain flow they sell much larger rolls and all the parts you just have to piece it together.

I buried my tape last year and will never do it again, it looks much nice but I ruined all the tape trying to dig it up. Now I just burry the last 2’ to keep it secure when the wind blows.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #504
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

8 mil or 15 mil drip tape? I'm thinking on going 15 mil for that very reason... Their 1450 foot roll did my whole garden this year with plenty to spare... I also inject my fertilizer, nitrogen and such with the Hoss injector. It works pretty well... My problem is I just got started so late, my corn is only about 18"-20" high and tasseling already!! Keeping it sprayed with the spinosad to keep the corn worms in check, but I'm afraid the tassel pollen will be gone before I get any silks starting to form... We'll see..
Old 06-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #505
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Been a long day i the garden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #506
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
8 mil or 15 mil drip tape? I'm thinking on going 15 mil for that very reason... Their 1450 foot roll did my whole garden this year with plenty to spare... I also inject my fertilizer, nitrogen and such with the Hoss injector. It works pretty well... My problem is I just got started so late, my corn is only about 18"-20" high and tasseling already!! Keeping it sprayed with the spinosad to keep the corn worms in check, but I'm afraid the tassel pollen will be gone before I get any silks starting to form... We'll see..

I had poor pollination on my corn too… and to many corn worms been spraying with BT weekly not much help.

I use 8 mil tape just for a cost saver. It’s a lot of work to burry it plus I have gophers here.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #507
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Looks like a good haul. Congratulations
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #508
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Burying it is a snap with the Hoss Double Wheel Hoe and their drip tape adapter kit... Trouble is the 15 mil tape won't work with their drip tape adapter... So far no gophers here... Think it's too wed for 'em... We have about 18" of good delta sediment soil, then from there to China, it's solid clay!! Great area for diggin' ponds!!

After showing my bride your pics of the sunflower arrangements, I think I have her convinced that they would be OK to plant for next year...
Old 06-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #509
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Quote:
Burying it is a snap with the Hoss Double Wheel Hoe and their drip tape adapter kit... Trouble is the 15 mil tape won't work with their drip tape adapter... So far no gophers here... Think it's too wed for 'em... We have about 18" of good delta sediment soil, then from there to China, it's solid clay!! Great area for diggin' ponds!!

After showing my bride your pics of the sunflower arrangements, I think I have her convinced that they would be OK to plant for next year...
Order you some seed from Johnny’s it’s cheaper than hoss! Last year I used hoss seed and will say I had amazing germ rate and beautiful flowers, also order giant zinnias make sure you plant them 1’ apart they produce like crazy.

I want a wheel hoe pretty bad but hard to justify the cost I think I would be better off investing in a pto tiller but there would be a lot of good use of the double wheel hoe.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #510
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Charlie the FFL owners I plant are:

Sunflowers (many varieties) the single stem produces a very large flower but the branching varieties are nice for multiple smaller flowers.

Giant zinnias I get the mixed color package. The Queen line are also very nice.

Cupcake Cosmos they are great filler.

Celosia is very nice kinda whispy looks like pig weed but much prettier.

This year I’m playing with a few other flowers but so far really nothing coming from them.

Lavender is great in bouquets smells wonderful.

The giant marigolds are pretty but don’t smell great they do look nice as filler flowers and deter pest.

It’s not to late to plant marigolds, zennias, and sunflowers they will produce heavy all summer. Then you don’t have to buy the misses flowers!
Old 06-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #511
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

We have marigolds, dwarf zinnias and giant zinnias going now... first time we ever planted flowers! Must say we've enjoyed them. The zinnias last a long time when cut! Haven't cut any marigolds, but we have bags of seeds from those suckers!!
Old 06-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #512
Texarkana
Nubbin' Buck

I have better luck just starting them in the ground
Texarkana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 03:40 PM   #513
WiliamKennedi
Nubbin' Buck

I made paper from plants. I decided to buy some flowers at the store to take the petals later. I like the way paper is made of them. Some of the plants without buds I planted in my greenhouse. In Agricultural Netting found a garden netting. I used it for garden work and some to make a netting screen. It is dense and almost does not deform. I kept a few flowers for planting in pots. I plan to buy more seeds, but I don't understand how they need to be nurtured to take off.
WiliamKennedi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #514
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamKennedi View Post
I made paper from plants. I decided to buy some flowers at the store to take the petals later. I like the way paper is made of them. Some of the plants without buds I planted in my greenhouse. In Agricultural Netting found a garden netting. I used it for garden work and some to make a netting screen. It is dense and almost does not deform. I kept a few flowers for planting in pots. I plan to buy more seeds, but I don't understand how they need to be nurtured to take off.
What type of paper? What do you do with it?
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #515
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

What are these black spots on my mater leaves?

Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #516
WiliamKennedi
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliamKennedi View Post

As a result, I managed to find all the seeds I need, now it remains to wait until they grow.
WiliamKennedi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #517
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
What are these black spots on my mater leaves?

My guess is southern blight. Pretty much impossible to treat. Soil borne
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #518
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Dad brag! I got two cherry tomato plants, only one produces anything. My boy is 2 and a half and we just went out to look at the garden. He went and inspected everything and said, "Daddy, tomatoes are ready to pick." Sure enough, there were some that could been picked. I never taught him anything about tomatoes, figured it would go over his head. But sure enough, only 1 unripe mater made its way into the bucket.

I don't know who taught him this but certainly not Clay "spectracide" T.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #519
Man
Pope & Young

Been a clemson spineless fan as long as can remember but trying to broaden out....got my first French Quarters Pink after much much care to get this plant to this stage. At one point it didnt have a single leaf left on it from a bug attack.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #520
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

What do you guys do for ants when they invade your okra? I've never had this problem before, but the dang fire ants (at least that's what they look like to me) are literally eating every pod on my plants before they drop the bloom good... I have a 40 foot row of cowhorn and jambalaya and almost every small pod is full of ants!! The plants themselves seem to be healthy and I cannot find a big mound nearby, but the ants climb the stems and completely fill the inside of the pods...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-17-2022, 12:00 PM   #521
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
What do you guys do for ants when they invade your okra? I've never had this problem before, but the dang fire ants (at least that's what they look like to me) are literally eating every pod on my plants before they drop the bloom good... I have a 40 foot row of cowhorn and jambalaya and almost every small pod is full of ants!! The plants themselves seem to be healthy and I cannot find a big mound nearby, but the ants climb the stems and completely fill the inside of the pods...
Yeah its odd the attraction ants have to okra. I don't get the fire ants I get a smaller black ant all over my okra. I sprayed that Dr. Earths vegetable spray the past couple years to keep them off. But its greeny weenie hippy spray....im sure there's a better chemical spray to keep them off. (we try to be as organic as possible).
Old 06-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #522
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yea, I've used pretty much organic stuff too... Strongest stuff I've used so far (though not yet on the ants) is Monterey's Bug Buster II. It's an organic pyrethrin... I'll try that this evening and watch the results over the weekend...
Old 06-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #523
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Diatomaceous Earth for me
Old 06-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #524
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
I have that and a blower for it. did you put it on your plants or just the ground? I thought that stuff was for soft bodied pests? Does it work on ants too? I'll sure give it a whirl. I have enough of it to make the ground look like it snowed around the plants if it will work!!
Old 06-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #525
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have that and a blower for it. did you put it on your plants or just the ground? I thought that stuff was for soft bodied pests? Does it work on ants too? I'll sure give it a whirl. I have enough of it to make the ground look like it snowed around the plants if it will work!!
I use it for ants with decent results. I typically use on ground but I'm sure it would be fine on the plant itself. It may also help it from getting wet. Only issues with DE is it's pretty much useless once it gets wet. Just have to reapply. Let us know your results if you go that route.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:59 PM   #526
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I water with drip tape buried under the okra, but the ground still gets wet after I have the tape running for a while. I may just do both this weekend and hit 'em with both barrels...
Old 06-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #527
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Man I had no luck with that stuff. I was very generous and gave it 3 months worth of reapplication testing but it didn't bother my ants. In fact it appeared they began to use it to fortify their mounds at one point.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #528
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Man I had no luck with that stuff. I was very generous and gave it 3 months worth of reapplication testing but it didn't bother my ants. In fact it appeared they began to use it to fortify their mounds at one point.
Interesting. I've had decent results
Old 06-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #529
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Only thing I ever had any luck with it controlling was those cricket moles. It did a number on them...
Old 06-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #530
ctom87
Ten Point

I am a first time watermelon grower. Is it normal for them to start out green, then get long and skinny and turn yellow? Will they start to plump up?

Old 06-18-2022, 09:25 PM   #531
Speck
Six Point

Hunt In: Cat Spring, TX

Picked our first black diamond today. Icing it down tomorrow!
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2022, 08:58 PM   #532
ctom87
Ten Point

Here are pics of the watermelon. They went from a deep healthy green, stopped growing and turned yellow. And the leaves have spots on them. Can anything be done?

Old 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #533
bobbaganoosh
Six Point

Hunt In: Public

You sure those aint cucumbers?
bobbaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2022, 10:17 PM   #534
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
You sure those aint cucumbers?
well this is a bit embarrassing. I know that I was either at Calloway's or Home Depot and I know I picked up a watermelon plant, but yes, I just cut one off the vine. And it is indeed a cucumber. I looked thru my receipts and never bought a cucumber seedling, but I can't find the receipt with watermelon on it. Since day 1 I thought I had watermelons. Now I have about 20 yellow cucumbers. Hahahahaha. Next year I guess.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #535
Mountaineer
Eight Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

Lol. I thought you were messing with us. Try lemon pepper or pickle that green watermelon.

The yellow ones have been on there too long and will be too bitter.
Mountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #536
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Go out there and cut them all and throw a little fertilizer on the ground around the plants. Water 'em good and start harvesting those cucumbers when they're still small... Make you some pickles... Kind'a like makin' lemons outt'a lemonade...
Old 06-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #537
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad
Question

For those of you folks raising plants from seeds, are you folks starting the seeds in a “special “ type soil??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #538
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
well this is a bit embarrassing. I know that I was either at Calloway's or Home Depot and I know I picked up a watermelon plant, but yes, I just cut one off the vine. And it is indeed a cucumber. I looked thru my receipts and never bought a cucumber seedling, but I can't find the receipt with watermelon on it. Since day 1 I thought I had watermelons. Now I have about 20 yellow cucumbers. Hahahahaha. Next year I guess.
Don't listen to those other guys there're just pulling your leg. If you believe those are watermelons..then by golly them there are watermelons! Don't let anyone tell you different!
Old 06-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #539
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Don't listen to those other guys there're just pulling your leg. If you believe those are watermelons..then by golly them there are watermelons! Don't let anyone tell you different!

I just can't wait for my kiwi bush and pineapple tree to start producing.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #540
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
For those of you folks raising plants from seeds, are you folks starting the seeds in a “special “ type soil??
I wouldn't say special. I had a crepe myrtle and 4 rose bushes in each corner of my back yard. I ripped it all out and tilled up the area, then put a few bags of top soil on top. Probably could have done more. I planted straight in the ground with a bunch of seeds. I do have a raised bed with raised bed soil as well though.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #541
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Seed starting soil really has no "dirt" in it. It is important if you're starting seeds in trays to use sterile starting soil so they do not have to compete with other seeds or soil borne pathogens... You can buy a bag of seed starting soil (NOT POTTING SOIL), or you can make your own pretty easy. It is essentially nothing but pure peat moss and a little perlite mixed together... Remember the seeds have everything they need to germinate and begin to grow. All they need is moisture and the right temperature... You can germinate them in a paper towel even!! In seed starting trays, just put the seeds in the tray and cover the only about as deep as twice the diameter of the seed and keep them moist and warm. Give them morning sunlight and shade the rest of the day if you can this time of year. once they sprout and put on that first pair of leaves just keep them moist. do not let them go dry and do not drown them... This is the most critical time for the new plants. Once they sprout that second set of leaves (what folks call "First True Leaves"), hit them with a little balanced fertilizer like Miracle Grow or what I use is Hoss Tools 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer. I put a couple teaspoons/gallon of water and use that to water the plants once about every 5-7 days with normal watering in between. Using this method, if you are planting quality seeds from a reputable supplier, you will get high 90% germination rates on most seeds.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #542
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
I wouldn't say special. I had a crepe myrtle and 4 rose bushes in each corner of my back yard. I ripped it all out and tilled up the area, then put a few bags of top soil on top. Probably could have done more. I planted straight in the ground with a bunch of seeds. I do have a raised bed with raised bed soil as well though.
Thank you… I have never planted seed but would like to start doing so versus buying plants.

Quote:
Seed starting soil really has no "dirt" in it. It is important if you're starting seeds in trays to use sterile starting soil so they do not have to compete with other seeds or soil borne pathogens... You can buy a bag of seed starting soil (NOT POTTING SOIL), or you can make your own pretty easy. It is essentially nothing but pure peat moss and a little perlite mixed together... Remember the seeds have everything they need to germinate and begin to grow. All they need is moisture and the right temperature... You can germinate them in a paper towel even!! In seed starting trays, just put the seeds in the tray and cover the only about as deep as twice the diameter of the seed and keep them moist and warm. Give them morning sunlight and shade the rest of the day if you can this time of year. once they sprout and put on that first pair of leaves just keep them moist. do not let them go dry and do not drown them... This is the most critical time for the new plants. Once they sprout that second set of leaves (what folks call "First True Leaves"), hit them with a little balanced fertilizer like Miracle Grow or what I use is Hoss Tools 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer. I put a couple teaspoons/gallon of water and use that to water the plants once about every 5-7 days with normal watering in between. Using this method, if you are planting quality seeds from a reputable supplier, you will get high 90% germination rates on most seeds.
Thank you for the info… going to try and plant all vegetables and flowers from seeds moving forward. I tried to transplant some seedlings that sprouted out of a store bought tomato but only two of the seedlings seem to be holding on. I also planted a “tomatillo” in the garden area and those plants are coming up… I will see how it goes.

One additional question, how many folks water there garden with well water versus city water?? I have to believe it’s a big difference for the development of the plants.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #543
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you… I have never planted seed but would like to start doing so versus buying plants.
Same here. I just went back earlier this morning and looked at the setup that Saltwater Slick purchased from Amazon/Hoss Tools and how I can piece together something similar for the size and width of my 4 tier shelving. The only problem I had in the past doing it was I had a HIGH ratio of plants that killed over when I transferred them from incandescent grow light out into sunlight. And it seems now its all LED, so I need to make sure I get an LED thats putting out the right spectrum of light and UV (I think) to make for an easy transfer for the plant and not shock it. But I guess thats some of the fun in it..learning as you go!
Old 06-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #544
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thank you for the info… going to try and plant all vegetables and flowers from seeds moving forward. I tried to transplant some seedlings that sprouted out of a store bought tomato but only two of the seedlings seem to be holding on. I also planted a “tomatillo” in the garden area and those plants are coming up… I will see how it goes.

One additional question, how many folks water there garden with well water versus city water?? I have to believe it’s a big difference for the development of the plants.

I'm on well water and that's mostly what I use... but... If you have a way of collecting rainwater into a tank and water with that, it doesn't get any better than that! Well water is second only to that (untreated well water, straight from the well if possible).

Quote:
Same here. I just went back earlier this morning and looked at the setup that Saltwater Slick purchased from Amazon/Hoss Tools and how I can piece together something similar for the size and width of my 4 tier shelving. The only problem I had in the past doing it was I had a HIGH ratio of plants that killed over when I transferred them from incandescent grow light out into sunlight. And it seems now its all LED, so I need to make sure I get an LED thats putting out the right spectrum of light and UV (I think) to make for an easy transfer for the plant and not shock it. But I guess thats some of the fun in it..learning as you go!

We had this issue this year too!! There is a VERY IMPORTANT step when growing plants from seeds under ANY artificial light. It's called "hardening off the plants"... There is lots of information out there on this, but essentially it is taking the time to acclimate your plants to direct sun. Our second batch of seedlings fared very well after we learned our lesson! The sun's light is more intense than any artificial light and just putting them out in the sun essentially sunburns them. What you have to do is take your seedlings out in the morning sun for a bit, then bring them back in at least to the shade, then put them out a little more, then back into the shade... gradually increasing the time in the sun over several days to a couple weeks. This will get them used to the sun without shocking them. In reality, we lost close to half our transplants on the first batch to sun scalding... We'd never done it before either and somehow with all the hundreds of videos we watch, we clean missed the deal about hardening off our plants... Most YouTubers just mention the hardening off as a matter of fact like everyone should already know about it... well we didn't!!
Old 06-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #545
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

One other thing about rigging your lights... Make the lights so that you can easily raise/lower them as the plants germinate and grow. If you have the lights a foot or more away from the top of your trays, the plants will sprout and "get leggy" reaching for the light. By putting the lights within a couple inches of the plants (taking care not to place the light so close as to burn the plants), then raising the lights as the plants grow, they will grow to be stronger, heavier stemmed, and healthier plants as opposed to the long skinny easily toppled over leggy ones... A small fan that keeps the young plants moving about a little is also helpful, especially tomatoes and pepper plants... No hard blowing fan, just a little air movement enough to move them about a bit.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #546
bbbuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:

This made my day! I needed a good laugh.
bbbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #547
eradicator
Pope & Young

Sometimes I use peat, sometimes I use potting soil. Have never seen a difference in germination. My brother has a greenhouse and I use a south facing window. Use heirloom stuff and you will have no issues starting plants. And will be able to save seeds on a yearly basis and not have to rely on the store.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #548
ctom87
Ten Point

Staring at cucumbers for weeks waiting for them to turn into watermelon was so great I decided to have a little fun with it. Please join me on a tour of my garden. There was a little impromptu funny business at the end. Yall enjoy

https://youtu.be/pBe7SE33FDA
Old 06-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #549
Man
Pope & Young

Quote:
Staring at cucumbers for weeks waiting for them to turn into watermelon was so great I decided to have a little fun with it. Please join me on a tour of my garden. There was a little impromptu funny business at the end. Yall enjoy

https://youtu.be/pBe7SE33FDA
Very nice garden sir! Ya got a little bit of everything there.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #550
ctom87
Ten Point

Quote:
Very nice garden sir! Ya got a little bit of everything there.
Thank you. This is year 2. Year 1 had okra and basil. Year 3 will probably expand to the open part of the back yard but feature less stuff. It is too much to have Google "when harvest x, y and z," followed by "tips for growing a, b and c," and then "why is h, I, J dying?" Less types of plants, more varieties, more space. We will see! I appreciate all of yall helping the new guy out!