Coastal Vacation advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Vacation advice

My son graduates next month and we are trying to plan a trip to the coast so we can do some fishing. I think I have narrowed it down to Sargent or Palacious areas. I have found a few rentals in those areas but know nothing about the fishing. I do plan on hiring a guide one day if I can find one but also want them to be able to fish from the bank, pier or kayak. Anyone have any ideas I haven't thought of?
    Last edited by mjames76; 05-10-2021, 03:51 PM.

Get a hold of Glenn’s Guide Service on here. he can take care of the guided trip and probably provide all the direction for the rest you would need.

Comment

Make sure to get a place on the water no matter what. Always fun to crab and fish off the pier where you're at. Palacios and Sargent are pretty low key places with not much to so except fish and maybe find a bite to eat.

Comment

Of those 2 I'd say sargent. If you could find a place on the creek would be best. If water is good yall should be able to wear a quart of shrimp out in the evening

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Of those 2 I'd say sargent. If you could find a place on the creek would be best. If water is good yall should be able to wear a quart of shrimp out in the evening

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          Agree with this. I grew up fishing the Palacios area, you are at the mercy of the wind most days that time of year. Did you consider Matagorda?

Comment

If fishing is the goal, I’d go with Sargent of those two and try to find a place on Caney Creek. If the water gets right you should be able to catch some fish at night under lights. Decent bank fishing and kayaking around Mitchell’s cut. You could go down the beach and kayak in Cedar Lakes. I highly recommend Capt. Glenn Ging, TBHer and site sponsor, and a really good guy that catches a lot of fish! He runs out of Matagorda but it’s not far to Matagorda. Sargent is my back yard so we spend a bunch of time there. If you end up there let me know when the time comes and I can give you a report.

Comment

Palacios has a pretty nice public waterfront. They have lighted public piers you can fish on. They also have a harbor you can fish in if the bayfront is blown out. And there is a public park on the Tres Palacios river with a dock. You are close to Collegeport and Lake Austin which is another place you can drive in and fish. There are quite a few options in that area for drive in bank fishing.

Palacios has several good places to eat. They have a decent little grocery store. Their waterfront is one big public park and it is really pretty pleasant in the evenings. It's not a bad little town. But I don't think there are many true waterfront rentals there with piers. There may be a few but it's a little different over there than in Sargent in that the houses don't sit right on the water.

Sargent is a little smaller. I'd say with a 4x4 you can access a few places to fish besides the creek and canal. The creek can have really good night fishing at times. If you rent a place in Sargent just understand that canal houses and creek houses are going to have different fishing potential. You really probably want to be on the creek. Sargent has a beach so you can do some surf fishing there. Not as many places to eat or stores.

Neither one is right or wrong IMO. I like both. They are very different little towns. If you have kayaks bring them, both have good kayaking opportunities. Neither one has a whole lot of guides working out of them. I have a good buddy who guides out of Palacios who is real good. Most of the Sargent guides have migrated to Matagorda. I am sure there are still a couple running out of Sargent. I fish out of Matagorda but would love to take y'all if driving to Matagorda isn't a deal breaker.

Matagorda isn't a bad option either. Good beach, more rentals, etc. Not many places to eat anymore but the ones that are left are good. If you could find a rental on the river north of the Colorado River either at Matagorda or Selkirk you'd have a good shot at decent night fishing so long as the river isn't running fresh.

it just all depends on what you are looking for. You'll have fun in any of those places.

Comment

Once you nail down where you are going let us know and we can give you some more specifics on places to fish.

Comment

Some good advice here. I'm in Sargent so that's my pick. If you head that way I'll help where I can too.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think we have narrowed it down to a house in Sargent on caney creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d say you chose smart picking Sargent over Palacios. I personally like Matagorda though so that is where I would have went. I’d also 100% recommend Captain Glenn to guide you. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

we havent booked yet so I'll see what kind of rentals I can find around Matagorda

Comment

Working...
                        X