Roth IRA for a 9 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth IRA for a 9 year old

Had a discussion with a friend about finances. Their kid is going to have some 1099 income this fiscal year. I think around $1k total. The kid already has a pretty well funded 529, and also has a small UTMA for savings

Thoughts on creating a Roth IRA for the 9 year old since they have income?
    Or would you just dump it into the UTMA

If all the shorter term needs are covered (now through college), starting a Roth for a child would be great for the kid at retirement, assuming that once the kid turns 18 and gains control of the account that he/she wouldn't be irresponsible with the money. Control of a 529 remains with the account owner and doesn't pass to the child at any particular age. A UTMA stays under the custodian's control until the child turns 21. It's hard to know for sure when a kid is 9 years old if giving him/her control of some money at age 18 (or any other age after that) would be good or bad. But that's the only potential downside I can see with funding a Roth at age 9. As long as the kid grows up to be a responsible young adult, then it would be a great head start on a tax-free retirement account. Only the parents can make that judgment call for each individual child. There's no one right answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
      Had a discussion with a friend about finances. Their kid is going to have some 1099 income this fiscal year. I think around $1k total. The kid already has a pretty well funded 529, and also has a small UTMA for savings

Thoughts on creating a Roth IRA for the 9 year old since they have income?
      Or would you just dump it into the UTMA
      Everyone should try and set up a Roth IRA for their child. They can contribute just like adults, subject to their earned income. Earned income does not have to be in the form of a 1099, W-2 or such. It also does not force them to file a tax return. The tax advantages of a Roth are particularly attractive to low income individuals and kids.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
        Everyone should try and set up a Roth IRA for their child. They can contribute just like adults, subject to their earned income. Earned income does not have to be in the form of a 1099, W-2 or such. It also does not force them to file a tax return. The tax advantages of a Roth are particularly attractive to low income individuals and kids.

How does one substantiate to the Govt that a kid has income without the normal 1099/W2 or filing income taxes?
        Besides the "Oh the kid made $3,000 this year taking out the garbage...."

I understand any guidance provided here that this person would "need to contact a licensed accountant or tax professional..."

Comment

Interesting. Here to learn anyway to save me money and make my family money

Comment

Both my daughters have roths and have a long detailed list of work they have to complete at ranch. Great way to build wealth and teach kids about working and investing!

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
              Both my daughters have roths and have a long detailed list of work they have to complete at ranch. Great way to build wealth and teach kids about working and investing!
              I agree!

Do you pay them? How do you prove to IRS that you pay them? Write a check and deposit in their account?

Comment

We cut checks QTRLY to them and deposit in the kids savings accounts. We also have a work log that wife tracks and they have to sign ....

* talk with your accountant

Comment

I'm funding a Roth to the max and know that one day my kids will divide the money equally, unless I spend it . That is a way to contribute on their behalf and have complete control of the account. I'm contributing in a 401k and "backdooring" additional contributions, so I can put a lot more than the limit in the account.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
                    We cut checks QTRLY to them and deposit in the kids savings accounts. We also have a work log that wife tracks and they have to sign ....

* talk with your accountant
                    Good to know. Maybe now I can get some work out of them

Not sure how I missed this originally.

Comment

Working...
                    X