Protein feeder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder ?

This is my first year to put out a protein feeder, put it out on Feb.6th went and pulled cards Thursday and feeder was still full and not one pic of deer eating out of it, the tubes are 40'' from ground, am I to high off of ground, any helpful comments. Lease is in Jermyn.

God Bless
    Bish

pic
    Attached Files

Comment

40” is on the higher side but still in the range of proper height. About 36-42 is good some people have more strict preference. It will take the deer a while to get used to actually eating g out of a feeder. You can try mixes by the protein with corn until they get used to it and make the transition. Be patient they should figure it out in time.

Comment

Maybe mix some corn in with it moving forward. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to start eating it.

Comment

40” is ideal height. Don’t change that.
          Have these deer ever been fed protein?
          Are any deer eating the corn?

Comment

Yes there in pics eating corn, turned time down to 1sec. on corn feeder, they are all around protein but just not eating at all, like I said feeder was still at the top full of pellets.

God Bless

Comment

Give it time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

throw some corn up in the chutes.

Comment

I always suggest to customers who are starting a feeding station to put a bag of corn in the protein feeder first and then put protein on top of it. It’s not a matter of getting them to eat protein... it’s a matter of getting them to stick their nose in a box or tube to eat anything...

Throwing the corn (which they are already used to) out on the ground and having straight protein in the free choice feeder is like asking a 3-year old if they want to eat M&M’s off of the floor or broccoli at the kitchen table...

...��

Comment

Give it time. They didn’t hit mine at first either but once they figure it out they will hammer it. 40” should be fine. High enough the coons can’t stand up and reach it.

Comment

Yep mine wouldn’t eat it either. Put straight corn for a while then went 1/2 and 1/2. Now on straight protien and can’t keep it full now.

Comment

Our deer are not hitting protein like they normally do this time of year. We are west of Mertzon. With all the rain July-October and through the winter there is plenty of natural grasses and weeds for them right now.

Comment

Ideally start with a couple bags of corn in feeder first followed by corn/protein mixture. Next round you can use most all protein. Had to get my deer started that way.

Comment

Any time you introduce a new feed you need to eliminate all food sources that you have control of. Just like introducing cotton seed, if you have other feeders running they will not touch it.

Comment

Most areas deer aren't hitting the protein too hard yet. Natural foods in good supply. Deer are barely eating our protein right now. Like everyone said, throw some corn in the tubes. Once it starts getting dry, they will eat you out of house and home. Lol! Glad to see them on natural stuff right now. When it starts getting dry, we go through about 2400lbs every 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X