Kill Coyotes or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
    Leave them. They do way more good than bad in regulating numbers of other animals; truly an important part of the system. Somewhat helps to keep deer populations in check as well.
    Fox will eat the rats and mice.
    It's my job to manage my deer numbers. I don't want or need the coyotes help with that.
    I kill everyone I can.

That said when fawns start dropping so do the pigs. They get sliced open and put at places coyotes can feel comfortable eating them. We make sure there is always plenty of easy feed for them in May and June.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Kac

Comment

Kill all yotes and hogs.

Comment

I shoot them on sight.

Comment

I have a large neighbor to the south and west that have an active trapping program and use cyanide laced baits. I can count on one hand the times I have heard them and I haven't seen one, even on camera.

Comment

Trying to kill some now

When they decide to come in the daytime and snatch chickens then I am all about killing all I can

Comment

I will shoot them if I have the chance but don’t go out of my way to target them. The whole kill them all approach doesn’t hold a whole lot of water to me. They provide much more balance to the ecosystem than we do, and despite what folks think they are needed for the betterment of said ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was once told that there are two things that will always inhabit the earth, no matter how many you kill, coyotes and roaches. So I shoot every one I see. And they get their vengeance too, one stopped by an open shed of mine about a week ago and ate all three kittens that were in the shed...

Comment

Kill them.

Comment

Usually after deer season I take part in 3 months of varmint hunting competition. It gives the fawns a little better chance at making it. Pigs get killed every time all the time.

Comment

We have so many around us, I shoot everyone I can. I do believe in balance though.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

If your fawn recruitment is in an acceptable range, there is no reason to kill ‘yotes.

In fact... if you have (or want) quail on the place, coyotes should be left on the landscape in decent enough numbers to reduce nest predators like raccoons, opossums, and skunks.

The greatest management tool in reducing fawn loss to predation is a proper sex ratio in the herd followed closely by quantity and dispersal of fawning cover. If the sex ratio is balanced, fawns are almost all dropped in a very short period of time. This is known as Reproductive Synchrony, and causes another phenomenon called predator satiation.
                            i.e. when fawns all drop at the same time, there are so many fawns at the most vulnerable stage of life that predators can’t make as much of an impact. There’s only so many fawns they can find and eat in that critical first month.
                            If sex ratios are out of whack, you can have fawns dropping spread over 3-4 months, never swelling past the consumption capacity of the predator population.

I love a dead coyote as much as the next guy, but I also know that in good habitat, and with proper her dynamics, they have a negligible effect on fawn recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I see a lone Coyote he is shot. they will not go extinct though so there will always be plenty to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
                                Read the book coyote america, you can kill them all you want, you canÂ’t get rid of them. The more you kill, they instinctively have more pups to over come the loss, very smart animals.
                                This right here. Coyote America by Dan Flores. Opened my eyes to it. Some insane statistic about how much money the govt spent to eradicate them and it did nothing, and actually had the opposite effect. (Coyotes are now in every state in America, used to not be the case)

Comment

Working...
                                X