Chronographs and the movie Fastball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has the fastest fastball: Nolan Ryan or Aroldis Chapman?

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I remember correctly, Nolan Ryan's fastball was gunned at 105, Chapman has hit 106. The difference is this: Nolan Ryan was clocked in an era where radar's clocked speeds close to home plate. Chapman's was clocked with better technology that told you the speed at which the ball left his hand.

Over 60 feet, or 20 yards, a baseball loses roughly 10 miles per hour. If Nolan Ryan, at his peak, was gunned today, would be be hitting 115? And why is this important to an archer?

My question is this... Given the speed lost between leaving the bow and hitting the target, why are we not setting up chronograph 20 yards away to get an accurate account of fps at point of impact and instead setting them up for the arrow as they leave the bow?

Because we don't want to hit the $100 cronograph? Just hoping to start conversation around this... maybe it's never been thought of before.

Because the Real World Sticker Shock would be more than most could take.... it doesn’t matter where you measure it since the force of gravity is constant. If it’s “x” at this distance then it’s “y” at any other distance be it at launch or past where you measure it in the field. The main reason we measure it at launch (or at least why I do) is because that is where it’s placed when the IBO is calculated; therefore, if your goal is to see if a bow is living up to its post billing it’s an apples to apples comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 07-17-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I remember correctly, Nolan Ryan's fastball was gunned at 105, Chapman has hit 106. The difference is this: Nolan Ryan was clocked in an era where radar's clocked speeds close to home plate. Chapman's was clocked with better technology that told you the speed at which the ball left his hand.

Over 60 feet, or 20 yards, a baseball loses roughly 10 miles per hour. If Nolan Ryan, at his peak, was gunned today, would be be hitting 115? And why is this important to an archer?

My question is this... Given the speed lost between leaving the bow and hitting the target, why are we not setting up chronograph 20 yards away to get an accurate account of fps at point of impact and instead setting them up for the arrow as they leave the bow?

Because we don't want to hit the $100 cronograph? Just hoping to start conversation around this... maybe it's never been thought of before.
      Would Imagine its because that number would be lower and the manufactures don't want to sell a lower number. So closer to the shooter it is so the number pops more.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Would Imagine its because that number would be lower and the manufactures don't want to sell a lower number. So closer to the shooter it is so the number pops more.
        Definitely a good point. I was thinking more in line of kinetic energy. From the standpoint of hunting, I should care more about speed at impact and not out of the bow.

Comment

Because we are obsessed with speed, size, the most, the best, the most expensive, the longest every thing else and we want the speed to represent its “ fastest “ point. Same as guns and cars.

Comment

J R Richards

Comment

Definitely a good point. I was thinking more in line of kinetic energy. From the standpoint of hunting, I should care more about speed at impact and not out of the bow.

Dude it’s the same thing

Comment

Nolan had the 12 to 6 Duece to make that fast ball seem like 120mph!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                  Dude it’s the same thing

How so?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    Because we are obsessed with speed, size, the most, the best, the most expensive, the longest every thing else and we want the speed to represent its “ fastest “ point. Same as guns and cars.
                    America at it's best.

Comment

How so?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

If you measure speed at a given distance (the distance is irrelevant) the projectile has been in a perpetual state of deceleration since launch. The distance traveled is known, the mass weight and so is the force of gravity so the math can be worked backwards to establish what the initial speed was at the point of origin. The same thing holds true with a known speed at launch shooting a known distance, you can work the math out to see what the speed would be at the point of impact. My point is if you value speed that’s fine but measuring it at five feet or fifty yards is still the same thing. Arrows don’t speed up; ever, so their behavior in terms of the physics is predictable.

Comment

I have measured at the target at 30 yards and if memory serves I had lost 10 FPS at that distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                          Nolan had the 12 to 6 Duece to make that fast ball seem like 120mph!
                          He was also a little wild in his younger days so it kept hitters scared....and if you charged the mound he’d beat you there too😂

Comment

They are measured at a known distance, so that every bow is compared to one another at that distance. For your scenario of 20 yards it works for a whitetail hunter, but then you would need a new set of speeds for Western hunters who are shooting much longer distances.

So, like all standards a set testing parameter is chosen and that is used to test all others against. IBO sets the standard method used to measure speed. That same standard is then used in calculations for kE. No need to confuse people and have 47,000 different variables to determine kE.

Say an outfitter requires his customers to have X kE to hunt a certain game animal. You choose 20 yards, he expected you to use 40 yards and then you have no standard definition of where to measure your speed, which would result in different values for kE.

KISS don't try and overcomplicate this, just measure the speed right out of the bow, far enough out so that the arrow clears the bow before it enters the chronograph.

Comment

Working...
                            X