X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King Cobra 🐍

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      I agree with you except that some water moccasins do have a pattern to them. I'd wana see the rest of it before I picked it up.
      They do, but...water moccasins have a shorter, stubbier tail.

Comment

Also...water moccasins will chase you!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          They do, but...water moccasins have a shorter, stubbier tail.

Not always, but 98% of the time they do have a stumpy tail. I've found a few in poor health that didn't have a stumpy tail. Some looked like they survived being run over by a truck. Always check the structure of the head and scale patterns. And I've had them flatten their heads and neck out just like a hognose.

Another rule to live by is snakes you find run over in the road, they're not all the way dead until they're 1/8" thick......

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            Not always, but 98% of the time they do have a stumpy tail. I've found a few in poor health that didn't have a stumpy tail. Some looked like they survived being run over by a truck. Always check the structure of the head and scale patterns. And I've had them flatten their heads and neck out just like a hognose.

Another rule to live by is snakes you find run over in the road, they're not all the way dead until they're 1/8" thick......
            Yes, and one other way to tell if it is venomous is to turn it over and check the bottom scale pattern, If it is venomous the scales will be a solid pattern from its vent to the end of the tail. Ir the scales are split from the vent on down, it is not venomous.

...and don't forget the eyes. Venomous snakes will have vertical pupils, while nonvenomous snakes will have round pupils. Ya gots to check them carefully before stomping them with your boot.

Comment

Eastern Hognose.

Comment

Working...
              X