Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Un-Seizing a Ford 302 5.0L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Gonna be a stuck valve. The fellow that said the movement is the slack in timing chain may be right. Stuck valve.

You could pull valve covers and tap the intakes with a hammer. Might free it up.

Did this tonight and none appear to be stuck.

Comment

Was it running when it was parked?

Comment

It’s possible it’s a jammed oil pump? Or engaged starter like previously mentioned......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
          Was it running when it was parked?

Unfortunately I don’t know the specifics. When my wife’s great grandfather passed the truck was given to a cousin it was driven on and off but not sure the exact reason it was parked. The last time the cousin registered the truck was in 02 but someone threw an 09 battery on it so I assume it was driven occasionally without tags for at least a short time in ‘09.

For the oil pump crowd, would it not be much easier to pull the distributor to make sure it isn’t the culprit that is holding things up?

Comment

I vote rusty cylinder wall with piston close to Bottom of the bore

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
              I vote rusty cylinder wall with piston close to Bottom of the bore
              So it’s hitting the rust, finishing the down stroke and hitting again?

The only thing I thought would be that there would be a tiny bit of give in the oiled up rust. It feels pretty darn solid when I hit that spot.

Comment

At least pull the heads and see what you have. Probably going to do them anyway and then you will have a better idea what you're working with. If their god all it cost you was a little time and a few gaskets

Comment

Pulled the starter and distributor off.

Looking like rusted cylinder it is. May still let it soak a bit longer before pulling the heads.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                    One Cylinder has a rusty spark plug but it wasn’t terrible. Others seemed pretty normal for an older vehicle.
                    One spark plug would indicate to me that the you might have an issue with the head..... D Mo said it best. No good is going to come from you continuing to try stuff. Just pull the heads. It's not hard on that year of an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                      Pulled the starter and distributor off.

Looking like rusted cylinder it is. May still let it soak a bit longer before pulling the heads.
                      If it is a rusty cylinder and you finally get it to move, you're going to score the cylinder with the rust that breaks free.

Comment

You're getting there. I would just pull the motor and get it rebuilt. And please get that girl painted! It drives me nuts to see someone put all the time, work and $ in one just to let it look like crap. That ol truck deserves to look like grandpa bought it, not like it sat out behind the barn for 30 years.

Comment

That old 302 even though they were an anemic motor in their day still had the strongest block of any small block. The cylinder walls extended farther down into the block that helped with piston slap and the cam bearings were oversized and the cam located higher up in the block allowing for shorter pushrods and higher revs. This motor deserves to be rebuilt and let live. Way back when I have built a few of these 302 motors and they were a well kept secret of the circle track and dirt track guys as they could turn 10k rpm when built to the max with flat tappets. These motors were the only thing that could beat the SB chevys and still stay together even though GM had years of design and development to their advantage. Don't let this motor go to waste. All it needs is new internals, some good heads and if you can afford it, fuel injection.

Comment

Ford Cylinder Heads and Valvetrain Interchange: Small-Block- Covers Ford V8 Engine Families Including: Windsor, Cleveland, FE, M, 385-Series, and Boss

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              You're getting there. I would just pull the motor and get it rebuilt. And please get that girl painted! It drives me nuts to see someone put all the time, work and $ in one just to let it look like crap. That ol truck deserves to look like grandpa bought it, not like it sat out behind the barn for 30 years.
                              No don't do what he is saying. Just clear coat that beautiful truck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                No don't do what he is saying. Just clear coat that beautiful truck

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Normally I like vehicles fully redone, but older pickups I prefer to clearcoat.
                                I think it looks great, that one will for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X