Pit Boss help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Boss help!

Well, I fired up my new Pit Boss pellet grill yesterday and smoked an 8 pound pork shoulder. I set it on 250 degrees and put the meat on once grill was hot. I put the shoulder in an aluminum pan to catch juices while cooking. The durn thing was done in 4.5 hours! Actually it was dry and I think over done. It checked 205 internal using 3 different thermometers. The pan got so hot, all of the juices boiled away. I had the sear plate closed, but I think it was still letting too much heat directly under the meat. Y'all got some pointers?

Did you double check the cooking temp with a different thermometer other than the digital read out? I had to replace my thermo with another because it was messed up after a couple cooks. Read some stuff on pit boss forum and they recommended one from Amazon. Been running it for about 9 months cooking three times a week with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the Pit Boss digital control? Did you do the initial burning to allow that controller to calibrate?

I know on my RecTeq, it was required.
      It sounds like the temp was off...that's a pretty quick arrival time to an 205 IT.

Ha: is see erikm had the same thoughts...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
        Did you double check the cooking temp with a different thermometer other than the digital read out? I had to replace my thermo with another because it was messed up after a couple cooks. Read some stuff on pit boss forum and they recommended one from Amazon. Been running it for about 9 months cooking three times a week with no issues.

Which thermometer did you buy?

Comment

Thanks. And yes, I did the initial burn out a week ago. I'll fire it back up and check the temp with another thermometer.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post

This. I have a wireless with 4 probes and one of the probes is measuring smoker temp. I don't care what the read out says.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              This. I have a wireless with 4 probes and one of the probes is measuring smoker temp. I don't care what the read out says.
              Which one you got Richie?

And by the way, all 3 meat thermometers read within 2 degrees of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                Well, I fired up my new Pit Boss pellet grill yesterday and smoked an 8 pound pork shoulder. I set it on 250 degrees and put the meat on once grill was hot. I put the shoulder in an aluminum pan to catch juices while cooking. The durn thing was done in 4.5 hours! Actually it was dry and I think over done. It checked 205 internal using 3 different thermometers. The pan got so hot, all of the juices boiled away. I had the sear plate closed, but I think it was still letting too much heat directly under the meat. Y'all got some pointers?
                Kick it back to 200-225 and smoke to an IT of about 160. Wrap in butcher paper if you want. then turn up to 250-275 and cook till probe tender, which will be 195-205. probe going in like butter is when you pull it. Rest in a cooker at least an hour. Come up sometime and we will go fishing and I'll run you thru some pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                  Which one you got Richie?

And by the way, all 3 meat thermometers read within 2 degrees of each other.
                  Let me get the link

Comment

It's like anything else, you can spend as much as you want. I've had this one for 3 years with zero problem.

Nice to be able to check the temps and not have to go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                      Which thermometer did you buy?

I bought this one

Comment

I have a pit boss and it does run a little warmer than the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          Kick it back to 200-225 and smoke to an IT of about 160. Wrap in butcher paper if you want. then turn up to 250-275 and cook till probe tender, which will be 195-205. probe going in like butter is when you pull it. Rest in a cooker at least an hour. Come up sometime and we will go fishing and I'll run you thru some pointers.
                          This. 250° is too hot. I've never smoked anything that hot & it's all turned out great.

Comment

Thanks for the help. This is new to me.

Comment

250 would probably cook at a rate of 1 hour per pound. Yours cooked about twice that fast. Looks to me like the cooking temp was actually way hotter than 250.

Comment

Working...
                              X