Gate opener battery type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate opener battery type

Well after a random car drove around our entire property while i was hunting Sunday. I am building 2 new gates and purchased nice appolo dual gate openers. The 1 thing i cant seem to find is what battery type is best. ( 12v solar system) deep cell or regular? Will be buying a full size auto battery. Thoughts? Experiences?

My daughters brand recommended deep cycle marine.

Comment

I used a deep cycle marine battery and a harbor freight solar panel on mine.. I put the battery in a small Rubbermaid box to keep the sun and rain off of it.

Comment

I have a lawn mower battery on mine. Been on there about a year now with no issues.

Comment

Thank you guys. Leaning to deep cycle marine. I put half dozen crappy mule brand in my crap mule opener over the last 3 years.

Comment

I switched to a deep cycle marine on mine, it's AGP but I didn't get a fancy one compared to what you'd get for a boat

Comment

I just put in a Nice (Apollo) and used a marine deep cycle battery.

Comment

Deep cycle is the wrong battery to use. A regular car battery is better. Deep cycles are designed to be pulled way down and then recharged. Regular battery is made to be used and recharged constantly. I would make it a gell cell as well and you won't ever remember to check the water in the gate battery.

Comment

Deep Cycle RV/Marine

Comment

Deep cycles are designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long time. Regular (starting) batteries provide a large burst of power for a short period of time. With a solar charger and some cloudy days your gate can open a lot more times with a deep cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                      Deep cycle is the wrong battery to use. A regular car battery is better. Deep cycles are designed to be pulled way down and then recharged. Regular battery is made to be used and recharged constantly. I would make it a gell cell as well and you won't ever remember to check the water in the gate battery.

This. No need for deep cycle. Since it will have a solar panel connected make sure to put in a charge controller. Mine runs with no problems on a 35Ah lawn mower battery and 20 watt solar panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X