No announcement yet.

Life Journey for Glen and bride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you guys plan this trip out far in advance or are you semi-winging it as you go along?

Would be a huge task to plan a trip like this (booking places to stay, picking towns etc) I'd have it all screwed up and staying in the wrong places

Comment

Man what a great way to begin retirement!

Comment

We had the first two places rented before we left from Air BnB. Since then we just decide where we are going a few days out and start looking around. Im looking for a place around Sequoia right now. We may just drive there tomorrow and look for a cabin. We kinda wing it

Comment

Spent the last few days in Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Put some miles on the boots. Awesome place. Saw a sow with 2 cubs this morning. Probably saw over 1000 sequoias on the hike. Walked on about 6 fallen ones. Even saw where one was made into a cabin in the mid 1800s. Its kinda a spiritual experience. These trees have been around before Christ. Some dating 3000 years old.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the sow and cubs
            Attached Files

Comment

No words for that natural beauty. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing the sequoias when I was stationed in California.

Comment

Livin' retirement life large!!!

Envious!

Comment

Beautiful pics of the “big” trees.

Comment

Pulled into Zion last night. Did a short hike this morning for sunrise and gonna go this evening for a sunset hike. Had to go get headlamps as we probably coming back well after dark.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Keeps getting better and better!

Comment

WOW!! This whole thread is just incredible!! Certainly worth the price of admission!!

Comment

Cool stuff, Glen!

Comment

Just magnificent country Glen, thanks for taking all these pics and letting us ride along with you two. My goodness, those sequoia trees are awesome.

Comment

Well someone along the way told us to goto Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands. Well we left early and spent the day at Bryce Canyon National Park. Did a short hike and hit some viewpoints. Just pulled into Moab Utah
                              Attached Files

Comment

It's hard to even comprehend what that country looked like, when the Sequoias stood 600 years ago - before they were touched.

San Francisco Bay was lined with them, shoreline to shoreline, as written by Henry Dana who sailed in on a fur trader sloop - working with Indians along the west coast, before the west was settled. He described Elk and Blacktail deer feeding on the Marin Headlands (the North Span side of the Golden Gate bridge) with massive redwoods - filling in the shorelines around the entire San Francisco Bay.

All timbered down - and used to build the city and ships - a majority of all burned up, in the fire of 1851.

I hiked the Olympic Mountains - into an area where those old Redwoods were timbered. Each one of their stumps, still standing since the time these trees fell, each stump 100 - 130 yards from the next tree. The tree spacing of those old giants - blew my mind - as I hiked from one stump to the next - with the normal man modified timber trees planted - in among those old native redwoods - which stood so darn tall and wide with nothing but those trees, providing the forest canopy below.

Written in detail - covering the West coast scene before it was settled. I read this book a few times now - sailing each area covered by Dana and his experiences of that region then.

1834 - From Boston to California and return - he covers life at sea and all aspects of the experience - at sea and ashore.

America was grander then - before we timbered the hell out of the west

Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-12-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X