UV killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV killer

What do yall think, do deer really see UV glow from your camo?
    Does UV killer product really eliminate UV glow?
    Do you use UV killer? Do you notice any difference?

Doesn't matter.

Comment

If they do, it doesn’t seem to bother them as long as I don’t move. I wash my clothes and body in scent free soap. Other than that, nothing special. I hunt in the open from ladder stands and Tri pods. Deer look at me all the time and don’t spook as long as I don’t move or they don’t wind me.

Comment

I think it's a gimmick......but I still wash my hunting clothes in scent free / no uv brightener...always have

Comment

The only animals that I'm aware of that can see UV are insects, and at my skill level, they're too hard for me to hit with a bow.

Comment

I've been 50/50 on this through the years.
            I can't see what they can see, hard for me to decide if it's a gimmick or not.

Here's a quick neat story for ya-
            I put a tripod up last year a month or so before bow season.
            I sat in it 2 or 3 hunts in one trip in October. Never again.

Late December I'm in a box overlooking the feeder /tripod and a decent 4yo buck comes walking down the lane and stops adjacent to the tripod and stares at it for 20 seconds or so before continuing on.
            He was on a steady gate and never stopped for corn but did stop long enough to give that tripod the what-for.

Why the stare down I don't know-
            A. Because it didn't belong there?
            B. Because he silently busted me in it before 2 months earlier?
            C. Because someone else had been helping themselves to my view?
            D. ?

Color me confused, but it wasn't my UV rayed clothing or a bad wind that tipped him off- I was ~100 yards away stashed in a box.

Comment

I've never washed my hunting clothes in regular detergent, so I don't really know how much, if any, it makes a difference.

What I do know, deer eyes, and ungulates in general, have a different cone/rod composition in their eyes than us, which should make UV light more visible than them. Does it actually? I don't know, no deer has ever told me hey, I can see your socks because they are glowing.

Comment

I use just baking soda when washing my clothes, I don't trust the scent free stuff you buy at academy or where ever.

Comment

I've used a uv killer before several yeas ago. Didn't seem to make any difference. It sure didn't change my luck any. Now scent....that's another matter !!

Comment

I looked at my clothes with a black light. Man you can see the difference. I don't know how much it matters to deer.

Comment

Look at your camo with nv,its an eye opener for sure.

Comment

I use the UV killer on mine, whether it works or not I don’t know. The first time I used it I was walking back from the tree stand and I noticed 3 does walking down the road towards me around a corner. I ducked into the brush and sat down, mainly just because I didn’t want to bust them out. They came walking down the road and as luck would have it they hit a game trail right by my location. All 3 crossed within 5 yds of me while sitting at the base of a sweetgum surrounded by a few small yaupon. It wasn’t the perfect hiding spot, but it was just enough. They never saw me and never spooked. So ever since then I’ve been using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im gonna bring this back up.

I think its pertinent for eveyone to run a UV light over their gear. My bright green feather fletchings got me busted last year, they got shucked for barred turkey feathers. My favorite camo face mask had to go because it had a major UV signature. Another facemask got shucked because of the UV signature from the stitching.

Ive never considered a UV killer to detract from factory soap UV intrusion wherein I dont wash with factory soap. Normally I just wash in white vinegar with lots of rinses. Im curious now to know whether the arm and hammer baking soda I use has any UV signature or leaves a UV residue.

Comment

Has anyone ever taken a uv light into the woods to see what glows? I'm curious how much uv occurs naturally. I've read a couple of articles that suggest there's a lot of stuff out there that "glows". I've always used the uv killer detergent but I wonder if we blend in more than we think we do without the uv killers? Probably not but it might be worth investigating.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X